“Beautiful island filled with uptight and unpleasant people.”
Review of Kelleys Island

Ranked #536 of 2,106 things to do in Ohio
More attraction details
Owner description: Measuring more than four square miles and located in the western basin of Lake Erie, this scenic island boasts historical attractions and a myriad of outdoor sports.
Reviewed August 2, 2012

My family and I recently visited Put in Bay and Kelley Islands. We had a great time on Put in Bay, people were fun and friendly and we had a great time. Kelley's Island was beautiful as well, very quiet and relaxing, however from the ladies at the Chamber of commerce to waitresses, or the young man at Caddy Shack mini golf, to anyone associate with Seaway Marina and their golf cart rental were just the most unpleasant individuals I had ever come in contact with. These individuals need to understand that it is their tourism that keeps their businesses open and if it wasn't for the tourists coming over on the ferries they would not their jobs or their businesses. A bit of advise, DO NOT rent a golf cart from Seaway Marina!!!!! If you are going to Kelleys Island and using Kelleys Island Ferry, DO NOT rent your golf cart from Seaway Marina as you get off the ferry!! They are overpriced and very rude! It is worth the walk into town, you will pay half the price in town and hopefully save yourself a huge headache!

6  Thank JenniferHighland_IN
in 20 reviews
"glacial grooves"
"day trip"
in 11 reviews
"live music on the weekends"
in 2 reviews
in 4 reviews
"indian"
in 2 reviews

Reviewed July 22, 2012

Website doesn't tell you its 19 a person and unless your staying on the island for a couple of days its not worth the trip......not a lot to see except state park...very few stores the glacier was even a disappointment what a waste of 58 bucks yup your car cost 30 and they even charge for dogs

2  Thank kazbill1961
Reviewed July 2, 2012

West Bay Inn has the worst service and managers I had to get my own drinks at the bar. The food took forever and then was over cooked with warm Cole slaw. I got hit in the head with a beach ball inside the dining room by kids. They even had a sign not to play in there. I asked for my check when I got my Food it took 2 more times asking to get it. I ask for a manager 3 times they could not find one. When the manager did show up she said she was in the kitchen cooking. She didn't offer any restitution I do believe they own the ferry line also BAD BAD BAD.

1  Thank dug s
Reviewed January 7, 2012

When we want to escape the crowds of Put -In Bay, we go to Kelley's Island for hiking. The Glacial Grooves are fun and amazing to see. The ferry is cheaper going to Kelley's as well. Golf carts are available, if needed. In the spring, when the lilac's bloom it smells great. Just more laid back day at the Bay

See more reviews
Reviewed December 29, 2011

If you are looking for an action packed vacation with nightlife all day long, you have come to the wrong island - you should be at Put-In-Bay on South Bass Island just to the west. However, if you are looking for a relaxing, family oriented day trip to long weekend, Kelleys Island is the better alternative. We visit at least once a year during the summer or fall (services become very limited after Labor Day so call ahead). For day trips we take the ferry from Marblehead, leaving the car behind, and rent a golf cart on the island to get around. More recently, we have gone for a weekend or so and stay at the campground at the state park. We do this to enjoy the wonderful Lake Erie beach at the state park. It is on a protected bay on the north side of the island with a nice sandy beach and since Lake Erie is shallow, the water warms up nicely and it is nearly ideal. Despite the reputation Lake Erie may have, the beach is also rated as one of the cleanest in the country. The campground has facilities for both tent and RV camping as well as a couple of yurts for rent.

2  Thank Steve1362

Been to Kelleys Island? Share your experiences!