“Lakeside community provides fun and relaxation for a family getaway”
Review of Lake Erie

Ranked #830 of 1,951 things to do in Ohio
More attraction details
Owner description: The smallest of the Great Lakes, with a mere 871 miles of shoreline, warms quickly in the summer and is perfect for a dip.
Cincinnati, Ohio
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Lakeside community provides fun and relaxation for a family getaway”
Reviewed February 9, 2012

During the summer of 2011, my family decided to visit the community of Lakeside, Ohio. Situated on the southern coast of Lake Erie, this small village is ideal for a weeklong getaway. The accommodations, available activities, and general location all contribute to an excellent vacationing spot for people of all ages.
During our stay, we lived in a small rental house. It had the basic modern necessities: three bedrooms, two bathrooms, a washer and dryer, a small dining area and a kitchen with a refrigerator, sink, oven, and a microwave. A few notable missing aspects were a dishwasher, cable TV, and Wi-Fi in the house. However, while at first this seemed primitive to me, I soon realized the value of the freedom from technology.
The village itself is a Chautauqua, or an old-fashioned resort village dedicated to giving the guests the optimal experience. The location of our house was nearly perfect; we were just 100 yards away from the lake. Along the lake was a paved pathway leading towards the “downtown” area. On the way there we passed a mini-golf course and a shuffleboard court, both of which we returned to in the following week for some family fun. Further down the path is the beach with places for swimming as well as a service providing sailboats to take out on the lake. Finally, after a relaxing ten-minute walk, we arrived at the town center, complete with various vendors and shops. In the mornings, we visited the coffee shop and purchased fresh fruit and vegetables from local citizens from their stands in the main street. During the day, we stopped for pizza at the locally famous Sloopy’s Pizzeria and got ice cream at the store across the street. As evening approached, we strolled home along the pass and watched the sunset over the lake. While the village offered several options, there were also many nearby attractions that we visited. We drove forty-five minutes to Cedar Point one day and took a ferry to Put-In Bay later in the week. Overall, the small town was ideal for a relaxing week of vacation.
As I said before, I was initially concerned about the lack of all the technology in the house. As the week proceeded, however, I found myself more relaxed without the constant updates from the outside world. The coffee shop down the road had free wireless internet available for public use, and there was a small movie theatre, so I wasn’t completely isolated. However, I found that just after just twenty minutes on the web I was eager to close the computer and to go out and participate in the activities that allowed me to appreciate the beauty of the lake. In conclusion, it was a thoroughly enjoyable family vacation away from the loud and busy rush of everyday life. It really showed me the value of a week away from it all.

Visited July 2011
4 Thank Ryden L

Winchester
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Ideal for a relaxed vaccation”
Reviewed January 5, 2012

Mentor on the Lake and Mentor are to gourgeous little towns nearby the Lake Erie. The natural beach in Mentor on the lake is accessable from the Mentor State Park. You can do miles long walks, there is even a lighthouse museum, that we tried to reach by walking but did not quiet make it...It feels actualy like you are anywhere on the sea except that the water is not salty

Visited September 2011
2 Thank Bebana2310
Palm Harbor, Florida
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 19 helpful votes
“CLOSED UP”
Reviewed September 10, 2010

Nice place but after labor day places close up. The season is over!!

5 Thank Toledogirl1979