“So much to see and do!”

Hocking Hills State Park
Ranked #20 of 2,191 things to do in Ohio
Reviewed July 1, 2016 via mobile

I visited Hocking Hills State Park during the last week of June. There were so many trails that we couldn't do it all in one trip. We have several areas left to explore some other time. We visited during the week and had no trouble finding parking anywhere we went. It seems like the park would get wild on the weekends. The rock formations echo and people like to hoot. It was good to be there when not many other people were. Trails are well marked and most attractions have an "easy" trail option but there's a good deal of climbing and moderately challenging trails to get to the most amazing sights.

My daughter is 11. This trip was perfect for her. I don't think the trails are appropriate for very young children. There are MANY hazards, slippery stairs, cliffs, narrow passages, etc. We had our two shih tzus with us and were able to bring them with us on some trails (parts of Old Man's Cave, Ash Cave, and Cedar Falls). For tougher trails we left the dogs in our rental house. I didn't see any park rangers while we were out on the trails, but I can understand why they would issue tickets for leaving the trail. There are a lot of steep drop offs.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,306)
All reviews
in 16 reviews
"rose lake"
in 17 reviews

Reviewed July 1, 2016

I really enjoyed exploring the attractions in the state park. They were fairly close together and well sign-posted. The hikes to see the caves, gorges and waterfalls were easy to do for people of all ages and fitness levels. I took many great photographs in a relatively short time. If you go, also consider Conckles Hollow - strictly speaking outside the park but part of the same rock formations and very close to other park attractions. It is an easy walk to the end of a delightful and magical gorge and for me it was a great finish to my visit to the area.

Reviewed July 1, 2016

There's not much else I can say that hasn't been covered.

The trails are easy hikes. You can park at the areas you want to see, or you walk along the whole thing. About 4 or 5 miles from the upper falls down to ash cave.

Tips:
- Go early. It gets busy later
- Most trails are easy and stroller friendly.
- Bring water bottles. But don't litter! You can refill at the many water fountains.
- There are not any trash cans near the picnic areas, so be prepared to pack it in, pack it out.

1  Thank javaman70
Reviewed June 30, 2016 via mobile

Went to this beautiful park and saw Old Mans Cave and hiking trails to the lake. Very very nice and peaceful. Great for pictures. We went at about 930 am and when returning to the car at 1pm the entire parking lot was over full with people and cars trying to find parking. Really over crowded. Go early and avoid the rush and stress of finding parking. May not be a problem in off season.