“Go somewhere else!”

Concord, North Carolina
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Go somewhere else!”
Reviewed June 10, 2013

I went up there with a group of friends to celebrate my birthday in February. The experience was awful. When we first arrived we waited over three hours in line just to get our ski equipment and boarding passes. Near around two of waiting one of the workers told everyone that the reason the line was moving so slow was because it was a holiday weekend and they had ran out of skis. They then proceeded to tell us that it would be another hour or so. She said we could leave and come back tomorrow or keep waiting. Even though it was a holiday weekend, they are a ski resort they should have been prepared with extra skis. Since we were only up there for a night we continued to wait for rentals. When we finally made it to the front of the line, the women at the register was incredibly rude. She talked down to us like we were ignorant and when my boyfriend who has had hearing issues since he was born politely asked her to repeat what she had said because he couldn't hear her, she snapped her response back at him. If that was not enough she told us that they had ran out of skis yet again and we were going to have to wait a little longer. A couple people in our group were snow-boarding so they went ahead and got their equipment because they had snowboards available. Me and my brother were skiing so we continued to wait, as we were waiting some people dropped their skis off. Well the women at the counter tried to give the skis to the group behind us in line. I had to go up to the counter and say something because she was just going to skip right over us. We FINALLY got skis and we were getting our boots fitted for our skis. The girl who helped me was incredibly helpful, but the man who was helping my brother was a different story. My brother walked up to the counter and the man asked him if he knew how to put his lift pass on, after he showed him how he walked off. After i finished getting my boots fitted i looked over at my brother and asked where the man helping him had went. He proceeded to say he had no idea. Well as i was looking around i spotted the man who was supposed to be helping my brother, he was sitting in a back corner drinking a soda talking to another co-worker. He just walked away in the middle of helping my brother. He never came back over so i had to ask the girl that helped me to finish fitting my brothers skis. Well we finally got on the slope, thats right they have ONE slope to go down. They also have a bunny slope but that was being occupied by some little festival they were having. It was my boyfriends first time snow boarding so obviously he was still learning. A man that worked there told my boyfriend that since he didn't know how to stop or slow his board down properly that he had to get off the slope and wait for the bunny slope to reopen, which was going to be another hour. The nerve of these people, we already waited over 3 hours to get our equipment and now he thinks that my boyfriend is going to wait another hour just to snowboard. That was the final straw. How do they expect people to learn if they have the bunny slope closed off. We paid our money to ski, and we were not going to wait around another hour just to use the bunny slope. Well went skied for an hour or two which was fun. It got old quick though because they only had one slope to go down. Another note the food was incredibly over priced in the lodge. Take my advice, spend a little extra money and go somewhere else. I was on a budget so i thought this would be a good place to go, boy was i wrong. Spending a little extra money at a different place will be much more worth, spending less money at this dump.

Visited February 2013
4 Thank lauren W

Greenville, South Carolina
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Not what it used to be!”
Reviewed January 5, 2013

My family and I have been enjoying Sapphire Valley for many years and it is a great place to learn to ski or snowboard, however our time so far this season is not quite how it used to be. I remember coming here 10 years or more ago and the hours being much later and staff much friendlier. This year we have brought our children to learn to snowboard and one particular lift operator seemed to be on a power trip as he talked down to almost everybody. At first, I thought maybe he was having a bad day but we went back a few days later and yet again he was grumpy as ever. I myself used to work at a ski resort and know how long the hours can be and how hard working with the public can be at times but.... to be rude to children is totally uncalled for. The rest of the staff were very friendly and courteous, but the lift ticket only people should not have to wait in that long line waiting for people to get equipment, a sign outside said lift only please purchase at the community building, but when we went over there the lady behind the desk said she couldn't give them to us so back in line we went. The hours are pretty much a joke after the holidays. I understand this town is very seasonal and after the holidays you may not be as busy, but Friday and Saturday Nights only open till 7:00???? I remember skiing and snowboarding here till way after dark. Till at least 10:00-11:00. The website and the posted hours say they are clearly open till 7:00 on Saturdays, however... the same lift operator I spoke about above was yet again very rude at 6:40 yelling and telling people they are closed and nobody can be on the slopes. We have 2 small kids ages 6 and 8 , that were trying to take their snowboards off at the bottom of the hill after being disappointed about not being able to go any more (even though the HOURS of operation clearly stated we had 20 more minutes) were a little freaked out when he was yelling at everyone to get off the snow as they were trying to pull the groomer around to the chairlift area even though there was still about 20 people trying to take off equipment. Im not sure if the restaurant has any affiliation with the ski lodge but they as well need to work on customer service and their food is definintly not worth the cost. Needless to say we are very disappointed and hate to see such a great place that has many of my best childhood memories falling apart. This place has so much potential but over the past few years it is slowly going down hill. I sincerely hope that management will try to fix what used to be a wonderful place to take your family and friends. They should really reconsider their hours on the weekends (Monday nights are open later than weekends). They seem to have a pretty good staff for the most part that seems to care about their jobs and this place so I really think this slow down hill spiral is managements responsibility. This place definintly has its pros and cons like any place in general but my advice is to ask upfront what the hours are and pack snacks to hold you over for the day and go eat lunch or dinner at another local restaurant.

Visited January 2013
3 Thank Lynn S
Lawrenceville, Georgia
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Good Place for the Very First Time Skiers”
Reviewed December 30, 2012

I took my kids to play in the "snow" the other day.

This is a very small ski "resort." There are only a few slopes (only two maybe?), and one of them is for the novice. They also has one slope for snow tubing.

The snow was more like ice crystals (man-made snow), so it hurt when we fell. However I thought it was a perfect place to introduce skiing to my two boys who had never skied before. The staff was very nice, and helpful even to my youngest.

The ski lodge has a cafe. We didn't dine there so I don't know what they serve or how the foods are. I am assuming they serve "fast food" types of food, but again this is just my assumption.

They have storage spaces for your shoes, but do NOT have a locker so you will need to take valuable with you to the slopes.

If you are looking for ski resort atmosphere, you will be disappointed. However if you are a novice and want a quick trip to enjoy skiing, this may be the right place.

Visited December 2012
2 Thank ClickMe
Findlay, Ohio
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Very Scenic, Relaxing”
Reviewed May 22, 2012

Wonderful place to relax and do some easy hikes to beautiful waterfalls. Nice quaint village in the Highlands with great eateries. I would come back again. The resort is nice and our unit is updated with a whirlpool included. I even saw a black bear that looked about the size of a grizzly. It was standing on a driveway in front of one of the resort units in the afternoon soaking up the sun. Quite a surprise to see!

Visited May 2012