“Little crowded but worth a visit”

South Mountains State Park
Ranked #379 of 2,812 things to do in North Carolina
Reviewed September 4, 2012

The trail to see the waterfall is a little challenging but worthwhile. Would recommend to visit the park early in the day b/c the park does get full. Also I was disappointed that there were no benches to view the waterfall or picnic nearby.

All reviews
"waterfall hike"
"nice picnic"
"outdoor adventure"

Reviewed June 17, 2012

The high shoal falls trail to the waterfalls is one of the loveliest ones I have seen amongst NC state parks .

The chestnut knob trail was beautiful too, the spring greenery of these mountains was absolutely GREEN and very soothing to the eyes.

It's a must visit state park !!!

4  Thank poogiewoogie
Reviewed June 14, 2012

On June 7th 2012 my brothers and I decided it would make for an interesting trip if we went "off-trail" from South Mountains following He creek down into the Morgantown Watershed area. While this is frowned upon by officials, and proved to be even more difficult than originally anticipated, the trip was well worth it. He creek itself is a waste of time. We hiked the entirity of the creek and found approx 5-6 pools worth fishing, the rest is a tangle of log-jams, downed trees and the most stubborn and persistant rhododendron known to man. Once free of the He creek quagmire we stepped out onto the Henry river proper... What a treat! The fishing here is phenominal. At the Resevoir do not expect to catch trout as the watershed is dominated by smallmouth bass (average size is about 13") The river however has some good trout in it. This portion of the river is not stocked and artificial lures only, so it does not get hit often, or from what we could tell, at all. From the res to watershed road there is approximately 1 and 1/2 miles of river to fish. Be prepared to work your tail off to access this area!!

1  Thank Craig T
Reviewed April 12, 2012

I took my dog and went hiking at South Mountain today. It was my first visit and won't be my last. We took the popular High Shoals Falls Loop Trail. It started out leisurely, past the large, shady picnic area next to the river. We slowly started climbing as the sound of the rushing water increased. Lots of rocks in the river...my dog loved it. The 80 ft drop of water is beautiful. The trail began to increase in difficulty going up past the falls. Thankfully there were a lot of benches to rest. At the top was a nice, leisurely trail in the woods. April was a perfect time to visit. I only saw a handful of people the entire hike and it wasn't too hot. I am anxious to come back and try some of the other trails, but will do the falls trail again. The drive out to the park was lovely as well.

4  Thank gibsondog
See more reviews
Reviewed March 8, 2012

At nearly 87,000 acres of land, South Mountain SP is the largest the state has to offer (other than a myriad of Nat'l lands). One of the closest mountain parks to Charlotte (1hr drive), and now boasting a huge new (and GORGEOUS!) visitor's center, a great day trip for a "mountainous" experience for a vast area of the Piedmont of NC.

Hiking: This park was once a forestry area, and a large portion of the "trails" are indeed maintained logging roads. Logging roads are meant to keep trucks away from any sort of precipice... which is a little aggravating as a hiker, as it's the VIEWS that are missed by such a layout. However, don't despair! Possum, Headquarters, Jacob's Creek, and Chestnut Knob are all wonderful foot trails with great views... and even the Horseridge is quite amazing (which is a road). Of course, the falls are totally outstanding... especially after a rain.

Biking and Equestrian: Where a hiker may find fault with logging trails, they're PERFECT for biking and horses! The roads are VERY well maintained to at least 18-20' above paths, some with occasional water crossings.

From my back patio, I can see the whole of Benn Knob (the true South Mountain), and since I take my dog there for hikes at least 4X/month (for the past 6 years), I definitely have learned where all the "spurs" to vistas can be found. I'm just a little bummed they spent millions on the new VC, and didn't create any new foot trails... but that's just me.

Paul