Joyce Kilmer Memorial Forest

A Walk Among an Old Growth Forest

Reviewed October 13, 2018
Global659918

Top Selling Tours & Activities in and around North Carolina
All reviews upper loop old growth giant trees beautiful hike tree roots easy hike beautiful area mile trail rushing water picnic tables walking stick amazing trees moderate hike public restrooms peaceful place the east coast cherohala skyway
Reviewed 2 days ago

I would go back in a heartbeat! Nature's beauty at it's finest. But the restroom was HORRIBLE!!!! We went in early November and the main restrooms were locked so i don't know what condition they were in. The only available bathroom was an outhouse that stunk so badly that I was gagging. Purely nasty. Sorry, but this is true.

Reviewed October 13, 2018

As much of the hike we made it up unprepared since it was a spur of the moment let’s go there while visiting other places in Blairsville, Georgia then Hayesville NC. Have to say it was still worth it though if I ever make it there again I will be better prepared. Ride is typical mountain roads with beautiful scenery. It was also neat to see the CCC monument for the men who helped to make the national park before WWII.

Reviewed October 5, 2018

Beautiful forest and stream. The well-marked trail is rated easy, but unfortunately it is not an easy hike for anyone over 60 (maybe 50 even). I would classify it moderate at best. In addition to the rapid increase in elevation and the mandatory stairs, which can be quite a step up at times, there are many rocky and tree-root areas to negotiate. Stop and rest and look up if you want to see the trees, as you will be constantly watching where you place your feet on the trail. Also note, although the trail is a figure 8, from the parking lot, the trail to the right is a much easier trail with only a couple areas of stairs to climb. We also spoke to a man who has been coming to this forest for over 50 years and told us that over 40% of the largest old-growth trees have been lost in the last 10 years, many to a beetle that attacks the hemlocks.

Reviewed August 15, 2018 via mobile

My husband and I astopped on our way back from Florida after a friend told me about this old growth forest. We hiked into one at Great Smoky Mountains last year so were excites to be able to stop. It is a nice trail and the old growth with the stream running along the trail was great. Other r evilest states the trail was e say but due to the many tree roots and hilly parts I would say it is moderate. I would have given it a 5 star but the lack of trail maps is the reason for the 4 star rating. We accidentally took the Bare Naked trail and added about 45 min to our hike on this clearly marked strenuous trail, totally our fault. We had no cell service driving into the area so be sure to have a map.

Reviewed August 4, 2018

We hiked the loop to see the old growth trees and we were not disappointed. There are some spectacular old trees along the hike. I would rate this hike as moderate+. Hard to call it easy with so many steps, rocks and roots to step over. We saw one elderly lady that had to turn back.

Reviewed August 4, 2018

If you've been visiting the Robbinsville, NC area and have enjoyed the beautiful forest scenery from your car window, take a few hours out of your schedule and visit the Joyce Kilmer Memorial Forest. It's the perfect place to park your car, have a picnic, and take a quiet walk though the woods. Have your picnic, use the public restrooms, and head out on a two mile loop trail (both upper and lower loops) to really enjoy this wonderful spot. The trail is easily followed and in good shape, and it is perfect for the children as well. You'll see small streams, lots of lush green ground cover, several giant trees, and some wildlife. There are birds singing and squirrels running around for your enjoyment - so listen for them and take time to watch them in this beautiful environment. Remember to bring your camera!

Reviewed July 21, 2018

I learned the poem "Trees" when I was in 5th grade. I always thought Joyce Kilmer was a woman, so I learned something as well as enjoyed the beautiful nature hike. My husband is 65 and I'm 60, and we had no problems with this hike. I would say you need to be in decent physical condition. The forest is so unspoiled, and some of the trees are gigantic. Not only is it beautiful, but it's free!

1  Thank CCR227
Reviewed June 22, 2018 via mobile

Free hike in the forest of beautiful trees. 2 mile round trip hike in lush forest with LARGE trees. Website stated the hike was easy, but I would describe as moderate. Great time spent here!

Reviewed May 23, 2018

This was a nice hike with a lot of beautiful plant life and a good amount of animals to see as well. Note, one of the trails from the parking lot to the Joyce Kilmer Memorial was closed, so after doing the back loop, we had to return to the parking lot on the same trail we hiked in. Not a problem, but one thing to note, it is a climb in elevation from the parking lot to the memorial. We had to take it a bit slow with the kids (ages 2 & 4).

Reviewed April 7, 2018

This was a fun, quick hike suitable for all ages. The 2-mile-loop path is easy to follow and showcases some beautiful old trees scattered throughout the forest. It's worth spending the hour or so to do the hike and enjoy the quiet.