“Rudd Pond Location is Great!”
Review of Taconic State Park

Taconic State Park
Ranked #2,101 of 4,941 things to do in New York
More attraction details
Owner description: This area on the Massachusetts border offers access to the popular Bash-Bish Falls as well as camping and swimming.
Reviewed July 2, 2012

So you wanted a camping adventure, didn't you? So you thought you'd book a reservation, set the GPS unit and off you'd go. Well, if you're using GPS and reading this, I bet you're LOST! Google maps will send you off to God-knows-where. But for those who still use maps, the state park is located on County Road 62 about three miles from Millerton, NY. The country road connects Rt 44 and Rt 22. Now that you found it, pitch your tent!

I spent two days here with a pop up camper. I must've been considered the Mitt Romney of the campground because everyone else had tents! But that didn't matter. I was in site #13 right next to the bathrooms which was a bonus. Now, I've been camping for many years and while many negative reviews say the sites are too close together, they aren't any further or closer together than many other state parks around our country. There is no landscaping (trees, shrubbery, broken washing machines) between the sites so it's very communal. Don't be surprised if your neighbors stop by to borrow a cork screw. Many of the tent sites have slightly raised tent platforms that provide a level surface. This is a really great set up and provides for a dry, level surface. Water spigots are spaced out throughout the site and one central bathroom serves all adquately. There is a shower and additional bathroom facility just before you enter the main camping site.

I didn't realize I had booked this site until I was confirming my registration. I thought I had booked the campsite at Copake Falls. That location is about 15 minutes away. I personally like Rudd Pond better because Millerton, NY has more services than Copake Falls. If you need to run to the grocery store for a bag of ice, a quart of ice cream, condoms or a Snickers bar, it's more convenient. And if you have kids who are tired of half cooked burgers, there is a McDonalds! Sorry, no Starbucks.

The park rangers make regular patrols through the campsite. Quiet hours are enforced. If you're having problems with your neighbor, the rangers WILL be buy. They picked a strange time to clean the bathrooms....around 8:30 AM....that one floored me.

I will definitely return. I met some great people and enjoyed getting to know them. This is a great place for a small group of families or young adults to go for the weekend. My neighbors had some good luck with fishing at Rudd Pond. Bring your pole! If you're into hiking, the Appalachian Trail runs nearby. Mosquitoes are here so bring your spray. I didn't think they were as bad as south Florida, though.

1  Thank justthatgoodguyjim

Reviewed September 12, 2011

If it weren't for the extremely loud people that enjoy staying here...My wife and I stayed here and got very little sleep because people were so loud all night long.

It's a very nice area though, albeit highly over crowded.

If you like partying all night long and hiking

Reviewed August 4, 2011

This is a nice camp site, we (boy scouts) stayed two nights and all the kids had lots of outdoor fun. Great fishing place for kids, it was super easy to catch a sun fish!!

2  Thank yantaml