Tripadvisor
Post
Inbox
Search
Review Highlights
Great spot, gracious host. Lots to see and hike. Always seems to be full of very happy campers.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

from $161.03
from $68.00
from $152.57
More Info
All reviews covered picnic visitor center collecting rocks thunder eggs hiking trails great hiking bring water take your time geodes campground agate deming rockhounds campers cactus jaspers hike
Selected filters
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Again this year I'll leave with multiple new contacts that I'll cross paths with year after year. Good weather great location. Short drive to Mexico. The museum in Deming is a must see. It's free. Very clean and nice comfort station with multiple showers and almost got water.

Date of experience: January 2020
Reviewed January 3, 2020

Beautiful night sky and city light views. Not too far off the freeway. Super nice, new restrooms and showers. Rockhounding trailheads right at the campground. Nice visitor center. Space numbers a bit hard to see, especially since we came in after dark. Full hook ups with complimentary sewer dump, as well as tent/non-electric/sewer sites (one handicap spot in each). All sites have a covered picnic table. Nice!

Date of experience: December 2019
1  Thank hike4diamonds
Reviewed October 15, 2019

We arrived too early for the ranger station, so I had to make do with what I'd read about the place online. The station didn't open until 10 and we didn't want to wait around. Like many state parks, you chip in $5 for parking at the entrance. You fill in a form and put a copy in the windshield.
We found the jasper trail so we just wandered in and looked around (on the ground). Eventually we saw something small of interest and wandered off the path and wandered and wandered. I couldn't remember what the limit was, but I figured if we kept it to what we could fit in our pockets and hands, we were okay. As we wandered back, my husband said, "Look out!" and then, "Keep moving! Now turn around!" I had almost stepped on a taratula. Very exciting. It was the second one this trip.
We didn't stay long and found some interesting rocks and were satisfied. Wish we'd known to arrive a bit later so we could talk to the rangers and get more info before starting, but I think I know jasper when I see it. Although it would be nice to know what the black stuff was.

Date of experience: October 2019
2  Thank marfita
Reviewed September 26, 2019

Should have spent more time looking for quartz and agate. Nice place to stop while on a road trip and stretch your legs

Date of experience: September 2019
Reviewed September 3, 2019

Great hiking with some wonderful views! The cacti are overrun with their own fruits. The rabbits, squirrels, birds and insects kept me company on my hike. You can stick with the well marked trails or wonder where you will. This state park allows you to take rocks with you when you leave, up to 15 pounds. Found some beauties! Be sure to take plenty of water, sunscreen and a wide brim hat. Watch out for the rattlers. The visitor's center was closed. There are restrooms available, if needed, in the park and at the visitor's center.

Date of experience: September 2019