“Certainly correctly described!”

Loneliest Highway in America (Hwy. 50)
Ranked #249 of 1,006 things to do in Nevada
More attraction details
Owner description: Travelers of the Loneliest Road are well rewarded by the almost surrealistic intensity of the wild western landscape. Deep blue skies and jagged stone tower above the bone white desert floor. The hypnotic rhythm of telephone poles march single file, a solemn procession beside the road.The Loneliest Road in America, Highway 50 is really one of the most beautiful and interesting drives you’ll ever take.
Reviewed June 8, 2014

A unique experience for sure. Many hours of driving with little other than sagebrush to see. Worthy of consideration for a once in a lifetime trip. Combined with Elko and Virginia City, it is a good few days. I'll get my certificate of completion in the mail!

4  Thank Kevan R
There are newer reviews for Loneliest Highway in America (Hwy. 50)

Reviewed May 18, 2014

I drove my Ford Ranger over this highway about a year ago heading toward Utah from California and it was without a doubt the most memorable driving experience of my life! I knew it would be long and isolated but I had NO idea how much so. This gave me a new definition of the word isolated. It was as if I was on a distant lonely planet at times. The views of the snow peaked mountains that were often in the distance were incredible and this was in June when I took the journey.

I made the terrible blunder of not filling my gas tank at EVERY opportunity and nearly ran out of gas. I cannot stress enough the need to gas up at every station you see (which will be very few) AND to take an extra five gallons in a gas can with you for insurance! Make sure you have drinking water and that your vehicle is in good condition (tires, belts, hoses, etc.). At times during this journey you may feel like you made a big mistake getting on this "thing" because it just seems to NEVER end LOL! However, just stay the course and enjoy the experience and it will be one of the most memorable things you have ever done. Enjoy.

14  Thank John B
Reviewed May 7, 2014

I chose this route through Nevada instead of the interstate and am glad that I did. There were several stretches where I was the only car in sight (and you can see for miles).

A few times I pulled over to get out of my car and just listen to the silence and enjoy the magnitude of nothingness.

Police do patrol this road. I passed one going the opposite direction of me and only then realized I was going over 100 mph. He didn't stop me and only signaled to slow down.

If you look at the website of the highway there's a "passport" you can get that can be stamped at various places of interest along the highway. I got the passport but didn't stop because I had to be in California later that day.

I would definitely choose this route over the interstate any day!

Remember sunscreen! My window side arm got a little burned.

12  Thank trickepj
Reviewed March 27, 2014

One of our favorite ways to cross Nevada. Minimal traffic, good road and scenic in a way that you won't see on I-80. It used to be called the Loneliest Highway in America, but there is ample traffic, without being busy, using it now. It follows the general path of the early Stagecoach and Pony Express routes across Nevada until just before Ely when they veer off towards the Northeast. Just outside of Ely is one of the larger open pit copper mines in the world. Austin, Eureka are interesting small mining towns, worth stopping walking around a bit. Ely is the largest with ample accommodations which we did not use this trip. We love the Railroad Museum in Ely which we have reviewed on a previous trip. In good weather, spring through fall there are numerous campgrounds off of Highway 50. This road can be a bear if there is snow, especially over the numerous 6000-7000 passes along the road! Use caution in bad weather. Carson City, and Fallon anchor the west side and Ely and Great Basin National Park on the East. It's one of our most enjoyable drives and we try to do it once or twice a year.

11  Thank davenmanja
Reviewed March 15, 2014

I can thoroughly recommend taking a trip along this highway that runs across the Nevada desert , years ago it was the original route of the 'pony express' it must of taken that poor guy weeks to do it on horse back !!!!
A unique experience if you love very little traffic ( you can drive 6, 7, 8 hours without seeing another human being , but what you do see is nature raw at its best , absolutely stunning desserts, salt flats , rock formations , a different experience every hour or so .... You can imagine the poor guy on the pony express being chased by bunches of red Indians takes you back hundreds of years... We loved the place it's a must in your life !

6  Thank Alison P