“It's anything but lonely”

Ranked #246 of 989 things to do in Nevada
at sea
100 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 88 helpful votes
“It's anything but lonely”
Reviewed May 11, 2012

We drove Hwy 50 from Fallon, NV to Baker, NV (Great Basin NP) and really enjoyed it. We picked up a "Survival Guide to Rte 50" put out by the Nevada Tourism Bureau. The little guide provided info about the little mining towns and sights along the way and off the beaten path including the Shoe Tree, Austin, Eureka and Ely. We stopped in each place, got the "passport" stamped and were greeted warmly. Each town had brochures and self-guided walking tours of the town, historic buildings and offered some insight into the mining history.

We expected desolate desert scenery, but the serpentine road was very scenic, climbing and traversing about 12 pass summits between Fallon and Baker.

Visited May 2012
10 Thank NineofCups

• Hebrew first
California
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 73 helpful votes
“Hwy 50 through Nevada offered more than I expected”
Reviewed September 3, 2007

I traveled Hwy 50 with my family from East to West. We started at Great Basin Nat'l Park and toured the Lehman Caves. A magical place that offers unusual formations that have been forming for thousands of years. If you have young ones and some time, have them give the Jr. Ranger program a try. It took my 11 year old a couple of hours and the cave tour to earn a badge. From there we stayed in Ely for the night. We visited the Ward Charcoal Ovens and then the abandoned mine. The mine was filled with debris and there was old junk all over the ground. The building was fun to explore, just a little creepy. Unfortunatly we ended up with a flat tire on the long gravel road. Not to worry, put on the flat and found a tire store in town that fixed it likity-split. The ovens were interesting if you are into old west history. We also picked up a "Hwy 50 Survival Guide" at the museum and had it stamped. You need 5 stamps from certain towns along the Hwy. Next stop, Eureka for a stamp. We went to the Oprah House and gave ourselves a quick self tour. We were on a time cruch because of the flat. Off to Austin for our stamp before the Chamber of Commerce closed. We also visited a jewelry shop called Little Bluebird Mine. Great people, beautiful merchandise and friendly dog, Jake. We had dinner at the Silver State Cafe...alone. The waitress said they get most of the travelers coming through at lunch. We made it to the Shoe Tree just before dark and added a few more. The drive has been much more scenic than I thought. You travel over mountain range, valley, mountain range, valley, etc. Our next overnight stop was in Fallon. I was told this was the home of Top Gun. Sure enough the next morning while visiting the petrogliphs (spelling) at Grimes Point we were able to watch the jets take off and land at the navel airbase. We took the gravel road farther back to a gravel pit where my husband and daughter found "wonder stones". Don't ask me...they were happy with their finds though. We got our "survival guide" stamped and headed to Carson City for a couple of nights. Even though it's not part of the "guide". We did drive over to get the final stamp in Fernly, not much else for us there. I would travel Hwy 50 again, just not in the near future.

15 Thank kdlh