“Nice to do in the area”

Lake Mead National Recreation Area
Ranked #86 of 1,038 things to do in Nevada
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: A year-round recreational area for boaters, swimmers, fishermen, hikers, photographers, campers, and sightseers. Lake Mead is a huge reservoir impounded by the Hoover Dam. Approximately 30 miles from Las Vegas. Entrance fees charged.
Reviewed June 17, 2013

Went to Lake Mead after touring the Hoover Dam. Great to check out the marina and get a good bite to eat. Fish and wildlife and boats are plentiful in such a beautiful man-made lake.

All reviews
in 9 reviews
"nice drive"
in 6 reviews

Reviewed June 15, 2013

While in Vegas, take a casino break and do some sight seeing. You will enjoy the beauty of this desert area with beautiful rock formations which is so vastly different than the lush green of other parts of our beautiful country.. Be aware there is a $10 entrance fee - unless you have the national park pass. It is free (with documentation) to handicapped seniors or $10 for senior lifetime pass. The drive begins just outside Boulder City near the Hacienda Casino and Hotel by the marina on Lake Mead. As you walk out the dock, you will be amazed at the huge carp and striped bass looking for handouts, and ducks swimming in the water. There are no benches there but it is a pleasant lakeside area to take a walk. Upon leaving the marina, you can drive through towards Valley of Fire State Park (for an additional fee but I highly recommend) and the town of Overton. The drive does not afford much viewing of Lake Mead but is a very pretty drive through the desert and rock formations.

3  Thank shirley F
Reviewed June 3, 2013

We rented a pontoon at Lake Mead from Las Vegas Boat Harbor/Marina. It was soooo much fun! It was an all day rental for $300, more than I usually spend on a vacation activity, but we wanted to do something different. We got there around 9 a.m.(though they open at 7) and had the boat available to us until 5 p.m. The ladies doing the rental were very helpful. We got a map and they pointed out places for bathrooms and areas for swimming-though despite the temp. being over 100, the water was too cold yet.
The pontoons can hold up to 10 people & was easy enough for my 21 yr.old daughter to drive. There is a canopy to stay out of the sun when you want and places to stow a cooler & personal belongings. Also a radio that we even were able to hook the I-Pod it to-cuz we had to play the song "Pontoon" by Little Big Town as soon as we could.
Best part was having lunch in front of the Hoover Dam. So interesting to see the Dam from the lake. Though even with the map we had some difficulty finding the Dam. The rocks kind of blend everything together. I actually used the navigation on my phone to find our way. There are also some tourist boats that go out that you can follow to the area if you can't find it.
A great way to enjoy another side of the Las Vegas area.

6  Thank mom2klm
Reviewed June 1, 2013

Lake Mead offers great boating opportunities to the Million plus people who live in the Las Vegas “valley” and to the 40 Million or so visitors who come every year. I’m not a boater, so I can’t critique what the lake has to offer on that score, but what I do know is that it often gets surprisingly windy out on the lake, and the winds spring up with very little warning, so people need to be aware of this.

I do know a little about the North Shore Road though, it roughly follows – yes – the North Shore, and we drove along there again earlier this week, It’s worse than I remembered!

Firstly, the road never hugs the water’s edge like a cliff-top road by the ocean; it meanders well inland for long stretches. You can get some views of the water, but totally unimpressive ones. It was bad enough before the decade of drought has left the lake over 100 vertical feet lower than normal, so on the sloping shoreline this means that the edge of the water is quite a long way back from where it once was.

The retreating water does not leave vast golden sandy beaches, but only a gray, gravelly slope that only desert dwellers would call a beach. The two that we set foot on during our last excursion were “unpleasant” and I’m being generous. The natural desert flora behind the old shoreline was not “South Pacific” but of course this is an arid dry desert, flooded by man, so this is normal.

But what should not be normal, is the discarded remains of previous picnics and parties, left behind by others who forgot to pack their garbage out with them. Maybe this is becoming the new norm.

Take the drive though, nothing wrong with that. You might even return by way of the Valley of Fire, but that would not leave much time to do justice to this great small park. And at the cost of an additional $10 to the $10 you must pay to drive the lake shore.

See more reviews
Reviewed May 28, 2013

I rented a 6-person speedboat from Las Vegas Boat Harbor at Lake Mead for a day during Memorial Day weekend.

As it was a holiday, I reserved my boat in advance by calling a day prior. The boat was reserved from opening (7:30am) to end of day (5:30pm). Compared to the per-hour rate, the day rental is a great deal.

We arrived around 10am, and confirmed that the reservation was a good idea. The last speed boat was being rented while I was at the counter. If we hadn't called ahead, we would likely have been disappointed.

The boat provided was in good shape, and plenty powerful for our group consisting of four adults and 1 child. We brought an inflatable tow-behind with us, as well as food and drinks for the day. We motored down to view Hoover Dam from the water side, and then went north across the lake to find a sandy beach where we could have lunch. We met some nice people on the beach we selected (near Callville Marina). After lunch we proceeded back onto the lake, found a protected cove where we could ride our inflatable. When everyone was exhausted, we returned the boat and had some snacks at the marina restaurant (which is also very good).

It was a perfect way to spend a lazy Sunday on the lake!

2  Thank mdwest