“More than just the lake..”

Lake Mead National Recreation Area
Ranked #65 of 1,014 things to do in Nevada
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: A year-round recreational area for boaters, swimmers, fishermen, hikers, photographers, campers, and sightseers. Lake Mead is a huge reservoir impounded by the Hoover Dam. Approximately 30 miles from Las Vegas. Entrance fees charged.
Reviewed April 10, 2013

Not a boater but that fact does not lessen the enjoyment of this place. Its a great place to have a picnic and enjoy the views of the lake. It also has some amazing geology to be viewed especially along the Northshore Road. People often take this route to return to Las Vegas valley when exiting Valley of Fire State Park but the geology is best viewed on this road leaving the Las Vegas valley and heading toward Valley of Fire - in my opinion. There are often Big Horn sheep and wild horses along this route if you look carefully depending on the time of day. In the spring time there are great flowers - bear paw poppies, sunrays, lovely indigo bushes, brittlebush and many more easily seen along the roads. Many birds to be seen - ferruginous hawks, golden eagles and red-tailed hawks. Take your time and bring your binoculars and use the pull outs along the way.

1  Thank Meezermeister

Reviewed April 8, 2013

We love going to Lake Mead to camp, fish, swim, stand-up paddle, boat, hike, explore, etc... We feel so lucky that we have this great area so near to where we live. We have spent many days visiting different parts of Lake Mead. We have been out on our wave runner all over the lake and have had a blast! In the summer, we camp out on the lake in the Overton area and fish, swim, explore, and have fun. We also spend many days on our stand-up paddles. I would definitely recommend buying a National Park pass if you live in the area because it is money well spent!

3  Thank ScenicWeddings
Reviewed April 5, 2013

Lake Mead N.R.A. is more than about the water. I was pleasantly surprised to what I was about to see, as this was the first time I had entered from the North Entrance, I thought I would see just Lake Mead. After traveling a short time, the well paved highway came upon some of the best scenery you could ever hope for. The vistas that spread out before me were nothing less than fantastic! I never thought I would see such beauty right by Lake Mead. There are roads that go to many Bays and Beaches or you can continue heading South toward Hover Dam such as I did. When I reached the end of my journey at Hover Dam it was after 1:30PM and I could not find a parking place to either visit the New Bridge or Hover Dam itself. But the trip was well worth the time, and I would do it again without hesitation.

1  Thank James H
Reviewed March 29, 2013

Although you will not see it advertised anywhere, you can drive to Lake Mead and feed the catfish that are in the water off of the marina and boat docks at Lake Mead. Lake Mead is a 45 minute drive from the strip and well worth the drive. One day admission is $10 per passenger vehicle and your admission ticket is good for two days. Walking to the dock and seeing the fish and ducks in the water is fun for folks of all ages. The ducks and fish will start to move in your direction when they sense that you have food and it is a riot to watch. You can also buy popcorn in a bag in the fishing/boat supply store and go outside to feed them. Be sure to bring a camera! The view is also very scenic and sitting on a bench, especially when the weather is cool, slows time down and lets you unwind after all of your Strip losses.

8  Thank Jesse1
Reviewed March 24, 2013

This lake is beautiful and great escape from the heat in Las Vegas. Make sure to bring some bread or food with you for the fish. I`m attaching few pictures but you must see this and experience it itself.

4  Thank Jani_Vladi