“Beautiful Day”

15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 22 helpful votes
“Beautiful Day”
Reviewed August 25, 2009

We recently went canoeing down the niobrara river, and I have to say it was awesome!
Having never canoed before it was a fairly easy river to maneuver, rocks make themselves pretty obvious so they are easy to avoid. It is also fairly shallow, at least in august, so in the event you need to hop out, or tip the boat you can pretty much just stand and at most be up to your waist.
One complaint would have to be the tubers. Many were ok, but most were drunk an obnoxious, often times trying to block or tip canoes with the tubes. Going the weekend before Nebraska colleges start up didn't probably help either.
Over all though, they could be ignored, and the scenery couldn't be beat.
We used sharps outfitters, and the were very pleasant, and not too badly priced. Being the first time canoeing, I don't have anything really to compare them to, but I would say I would use sharps again.

5 Thank leahleah16

Omaha, Nebraska
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 29 helpful votes
“Tubing down the Niobrara”
Reviewed August 13, 2008

I just got back from a long weekend tubing down the Niobrara River. I had a great time. We stayed at Sharp's Outfitters in Sparks, NE. Let me just say that when we made the reservation, my husband asked if they had running water and they replied yes, we have showers. When we arrived I noticed two outhouse shaped buildings next to the office. I went to investigate and realized that the "showers" were garden hoses hooked up to a holding tank, which they charged $2.00 per shower/per person. The other building contained two pit toilets for the entire campground. It was horrible. Otherwise, the campground was beautiful and the tube rental prices were inexpensive. A van dropped us off up the river several miles which took about 4 hours to float down to our campground. We had a wonderful time despite the horrible bathroom situation.

18 Thank Beamin182
Gering, NE
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“unexpected greatness”
Reviewed August 2, 2004

I've lived in Nebraska for 42 years (my whole life) and last summer (2003) was the first time I was talked into going camping and rafting at Smith Falls. I must admit, I went with very low expectations. I mean, I've been (I thought) everywhere one could be in the "sand hills" of NE. and all-in-all... quite boring. So I thought. We stayed for 4 days and 3 nights... and one of the days we rafted 5+ hours on the niobrara river. WHAT A TOTAL BLAST! It was as though I were in another state all together. Somewhere back east or maybe in Colorado somewhere. I found out that I needed this trip much more than I thought. What a relaxing experience. It it truly where east meets west and it's truly magical. We are going there again this summer (2004) in fact we'll be ther this next weekend. I can't wait to experience it all over again. At night, there are a million+ stars and to sit and watch the falling stars with a guitar in hand... well, it doesn't get much better then that. Try it... but let's keep it our secret get-a-way.

9 Thank pbrening
A TripAdvisor Member
“Never would believe it's in Nebraska”
Reviewed June 2, 2004

We go almost every year, WHAT A BLAST!!! Watch out for those flys!!!

3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member