“Loved it!”
Review of Niobrara River

Niobrara River
Ranked #132 of 516 things to do in Nebraska
Reviewed April 25, 2012

Niobrara River Ranch has got to be one of the best places I've stayed in. The river and the view are spectacular . Lee's cabins have million dollar views. I loved them! I will definitely be going more often.

He's got some pictures on his website, but I'm telling you the real thing is way way better. Anyways here is Niobrara River Ranch website: http://nrranch.com

2  Thank Jorge C
in 9 reviews
in 3 reviews
in 3 reviews

Reviewed April 13, 2012

All the years we have been going to the Niobrara River the best times have been staying at the Niobrara River Ranch cabins. They are beautiful cabins with wonderful views of the river valley, but they are cabins out in the country. Any problems with anything Lee and his group have been great and are super people to be with. I would recommend getting tubes for the river from Lee because they pick you up at your cabin and bring you back to your cabin after the day on the river. The equipment has always been in good shape and Lee is always improving upon the cabins he has. The best times my family has had is because of Lee and his group, treat him fair and he will treat you fair. Our group keeps getting bigger each year. One thing to remember to fiqure in is the taxes on everything.

3  Thank James M
Reviewed October 20, 2011

I have been canoeing the Niobrara River, east of Valentine, for over a decade. Each year our group gets larger and larger. We absolutely love it. It is such beautiful country; you will forget you are in Nebraska. If you are a Nebraska native, you should definitely make the trip. The water is clear, fed from underground springs. There are many waterfalls along the river to stop at and cool down on a hot summer’s day, some are a bit hidden and the water coming down the waterfalls tends to be cold. If you see a large group stopped on the banks of the river, you may want to stop and see what could be just down the trail. Be sure to stop at Smith Falls, Nebraska’s tallest waterfall. It’s a great place for lunch. There are several other concession stands with restrooms to stop at along the river. The river is shallow in most areas; there are a few places where it is deep, though. The river is relatively easy to canoe. One can also tube raft the river or kayak. The scenery is amazing. Sandstone cliffs, rolling hills, many types of trees, plants, and animals. We have seen several bald eagles while on the river. We stay at Rocky Ford campsite. I have camped at other places but I think Rocky Ford is the best. They have public restrooms and free showers. They also sell ice and firewood at the main office. The owners are very helpful and professional. Near the campsite is Rocky Ford Rapids which is a nice place to hang out. We continue to make the trip each year and I would highly recommend this trip.

10  Thank Sweetwood112
Reviewed August 28, 2011

We just spent 2 1/2 days riding our horses at NRR, We thought it was great. We met Lee and he was curtious and talkative. Was very friendly to us. His hired hand was the niced man I have met in a long long time. The bathroom accomidations were a little rough but the place is a work in progress and we understand that and are happy with what was there, We want to say thanks to Lee and Jarrid for the wonderful time and the great hospitality.

See more reviews
Reviewed August 20, 2011

Our stay at the Niobrara River Ranch near Valentine Nebraska was very quiet and relaxing. We liked the cabin and accomodations were top notch. The owner named Lee ...? stopped by and made sure we had everything we needed. We ran out of firewood on the second day and he brought us another load within an hour of calling him. There is some great hiking trails in the area as you can walk to Smith Falls or along the ridge to a gazebo that overlooks that valley. Very beautiful! I would recommend this place to anyone as we had a great time and will return again next fall.

1  Thank Jeff S

Been to Niobrara River? Share your experiences!