“I was too scared to look out the window!!”
Review of Beartooth Highway

Beartooth Highway
Ranked #4 of 749 things to do in Montana
More attraction details
Owner description: Spectacular high mountain road with sweeping views is a favorite scenic drive for sightseers.
Niagara Falls, Canada
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“I was too scared to look out the window!!”
Reviewed April 11, 2013

Drove this by accident in June 2012 - it was beautiful but with small narrow roadways and over 10,000 ft elevation to drive up it was a bit scary for me. The flat parts were great and it was neat to see skiers towards the top of the mountain and hikers etc. Middle to top the inside part of the road agains the mountain had several feet of snow plowed snow stacked up!!! The highway is only open a few months a year (due to the snow and treacherous conditions) but if your there in the summer and have the time it's worth it.

2 Thank ccjewel

• Hebrew first
  • Polish first
Overland Park, Kansas
26 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 46 helpful votes
“Simply INCREDIBLE!”
Reviewed April 7, 2013

We took this highway heading into Yellowstone from Billings, MT last July, and I must say that this onf e othe most incredible stretches of Hwy I have ever driven in my life! It was beautiful! There were wildflowers everywhere. We stopped and had a picnic. My kids LOVED it! On the way into Yellostone at the Soda Butte we saw a grizzley bear! I think this was the best day of the trip! Yellowstone is an amazing place, but taking the Beartooth Pass in on our inbound trip made it all the more memorable!

Do not miss this drive! I read that advice right here on TripAdvisor and am so glad I took it!

Visited July 2012
2 Thank ritzglitz99
Hamilton, New Zealand
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Don't miss this drive to Yellowstone”
Reviewed April 7, 2013

We had come across reviews of this drive when planning our trip to Yellowstone, and am so glad we decided to do it in travelling from Billings to Cooke City. We were lucky with the weather and had clear skies and views the whole way. Two days later while we were in Yellowstone a snowstorm came through and the road closed again.

The pass had opened about 3 weeks before we went through and there was still heaps of snow around - even saw people snowmobiling up there! The pics people have put up of 10ft banks of snow by the road are spot on. If you like switchbacks there are plenty of these both on the way up and down. Great views too of alpine lakes just starting to thaw. We really felt on top of the world, especially as you come to the top and see all the snowy peaks surrounding the Yellowstone caldera. You will be constantly pulling over for the photo ops.

We also stopped at the Top of the World store, a great little spot for souvenirs and snacks.

We've driven a few alpine roads in the Canadian Rockies and the Beartooth Highway rivalled these for sheer snowy beauty. Would definitely do it again!

1 Thank Where-to-next-nz
Madison, Wisconsin
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 33 helpful votes
“Use Beartooth in July but not June!...”
Reviewed March 20, 2013

Beautiful...but we went the second week in June and the roads were just cleared off...so it was scary because of the narrowing of winding roads due to all of the snow and it was very foggy once we got so high in the altitude it was a very slow way to get into Yellowstone National Park...but if you go in July I'm sure the roads will be cleared and it wouldn't be scary...Check the weather report if you do go early...if you are in a hurry to get into Yellowstone take the Northeast entrance instead...or go through Cody first...you could hit a Rodeo the night before you enter the Park...which would be cool...either way Yellowstone Rocks!

3 Thank alleygator1965
Saint Louis, Missouri
55 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 54 helpful votes
“Awesome drive!”
Reviewed February 6, 2013

After a wonderful visit to Yellowstone NP. we took the Beartooth Hwy instead of going back to Colorado the way we had come. It had been described to us as an incredible drive. We were not disappointed. It was a little smoky, due to control burning, and the picture taking could have been better. This is one road trip everyone should make. I have many favorites and this is one of the best!

Visited September 2012