“History & bourbon tasting”

Kentucky Bourbon Trail
Ranked #68 of 1,033 things to do in Kentucky
More attraction details
Owner description: Where the Spirit Leads YouFor more than 200 years, Kentucky's legendary distilleries have crafted the world's finest Bourbons, using secret recipes and a time-honored process passed down from generation to generation.Now you can explore the rich tradition and proud history of "America's Official Native Spirit" on the Kentucky Bourbon Trail(R) tour, featuring 9 signature distilleries nestled among the most beautiful scenery the Bluegrass has to offer.Discover the art and science of the Master Distiller...Savor the distinct, mellow flavor...And see how Kentucky's perfect natural mix of weather and pure limestone water produces the classic taste and deep amber color.World-renowned Bourbon.Winding country roads.Inviting historic towns.Rolling green hills.And Bluegrass hospitality at its best.The Kentucky Bourbon Trail(R) tour - where the spirit leads you.
Reviewed February 27, 2013

What a fun trip ! Every distillery is different with their own style & history. Most offer bourbon tasting, some free & some paid for. Makers Mark is a highlight with a wonderful tour & a beautiful setting.

1  Thank Beth C

Reviewed February 11, 2013

We had a great time visiting the 6 distilleries over two days. We had a lot of great bourbon as each one had a tasting room after the tour. In most of the breweries you get to tour the actual areas where the whiskey is made. The distilleries are Heaven Hill, Jim Beam,Makers Mark, Four Roses, Wild Turkey and Woodford. Don't miss this attraction.

4  Thank richardderose
Reviewed January 22, 2013

This was our 2nd trip to the Bourbon Trail. The first time we were in the area for a wedding so we crammed as much as we could in 1 day. This trip however we took our time and sent almost 3 full days. We went to all of the distilleries on the trail and also hit some that were not on. Buffalo Trace is not on the trail yet it was one of our favorites. We enjoyed Bardstown and all it had to offer. We were not too impressed with the Best Western in Bardstown, very out dated, but so the short time we were in our room it was ok. Maker's Mark is a must see as well-they have a lovely outside cafe also. Let me also say I am not a bourbon drinker, my husband is-however there was still plenty to keep me interested. The tours are interesting. Some distillaries charge for the tours.

We went with another couple and had a great time. Would recommend this tour!

6  Thank boonev
Reviewed January 15, 2013

We weren't really bourbon drinkers before deciding to do the trail, and certainly had no idea of the history and process behind it. But, the trail crosses through a beautiful part of the state and sounded like fun. We visited the distilleries over 2 weekend trips. We took the trolley tour of Bardstown from the Heaven Hill distillery and loved it. The guide was extremely knowledgeable and we were really impressed by all the history held within such a quaint town. We took the guided tours at Makers Mark and Woodford Reserve and were impressed with those as well. We completed the trail before Town Branch Distillery was added, but we're looking forward to checking it out soon. Learning about the process of distilling and sampling varieties at the various distilleries really gave us an all new appreciation for bourbon, and we've since become amateur connoisseurs of this fine spirit. And even if bourbon isn't your thing, I'd recommend the trail for anyone that loves beautiful scenery and state history!

4  Thank Melissa R
Reviewed December 23, 2012

When I first realized that my trip to a conference to Louisville would put me near the Kentucky Bourbon trail, I enlisted my friend to go with me. When I first began researching the options for visiting all the distilleries on the tour (6), I thought we could do them in two days. But then All-Tech in Lexington was added, and then I found out about the micro-distilleries that were added to their own "Craft" tour, so I must say, pick a few and enjoy. What we did was this: we stayed in Loretto at Hill House B&B and made that our base for 2 days. The first day we went east to Frankfort, Versailles, Loretto and Lebanon, and the 2nd day we covered Bardstown, and Sheperdsville, on our way back to Louisville. The first day we visited Woodford Reserve, Wild Turkey, 4 Roses, Maker's Mark and Limestone Branch. The 2nd day we visited Heaven Hill, Willett, Barton 1762, and Jim Beam. We only took the tours at Woodford, Maker's Mark, Limestone, and Willett. Probably a little more than most could do, and we were tired, but very satisfied that we had seen a great slice of America.

9  Thank Richard_Temple_TX