“Fly fishing the Middle Fork”

Middle Fork of the Salmon River
Ranked #16 of 635 things to do in Idaho
More attraction details
Owner description: The 105-mile stretch of the Salmon River cuts through a highly inaccessible and untamed part of Idaho's rugged countryside.
Reviewed May 5, 2013

The Middle Fork is like entering a different time warp. A trip with Solitude River trips allows you to shed the outside world for 6 days and let your mind flow freely with the river. Cutthroat
trout keep your attention and are abundant enough that you have a chance to learn some new
fishing tricks. Solitude's guides can bring you from the "I never have caught a fish" to a level of
not wanting to quit fishing. Seasoned fishermen can appreciate the skill it takes for being able
to reach that hard-to-get pocket that the driftboat allows you to get to.
There is variety though. If fishing isn't your bag, a paddle raft or inflatable kayak can get you
personally involved. The oar rafts can allow you to lounge King or Queen style and just watch
everything go by.
The Middle Fork of the Salmon will change you some. Once you've experienced it, you'll have some different perspectives. Solitude's guides will make sure of that.

There are newer reviews for Middle Fork of the Salmon River

Reviewed March 17, 2013

My family and I took a trip with Rocky Mountain River Tours in late June 2012. I have never had a better vacation anywhere! I left feeling rejuvenated.

The group included 24 guests, of which my family was 9. My dad has been on trips with RMRT twice, both of which were around 25 years ago. Dad wanted us to experience the Middle Fork and wanted to see us enjoy it, so he took us all -- my family of 4 (boys ages 11 and 15) and my brother's family of 4 (girls ages 13 and 15). Dad is 71 and has ankle and knee problems that make it difficult to walk on uneven surfaces. Dave Mills told me not to worry -- the guides would take care of him. Did they ever! Negotiating every step in and out of the boat with him, they professionally maneuvered him through 6 days with the greatest of ease. Dad even decided to sleep in the open for most of the trip. He had just as much fun as he did with RMRT all those years ago.

Everything was provided for us -- tent, sleeping bag (never got cold at all!), pillow, cushioned sleeping mats, PFDs (life jacksts), wetsuit, and wetsuit gloves and socks just in case. The list goes on! The food was fresh, amazing, and beyond wonderful. One of my brother's girls had her 15th birthday while we were on the river, and the guides made a birthday cake for her, decorated with petals from wild roses. She felt so special, and it was all because of the guides.

I cannot begin to say enough good things about the guides at RMRT. Their professionalism is incomparable, and they are personable, intelligent, fun-loving people. Every need was met so that we as guests could enjoy every facet of wonder that the Middle Fork has to offer. Our guides led a variety of hikes and took turns in the paddle boat each day, guiding the guests who wished to experience the exhiliration of paddling. My 11 year-old paddled every day but one, and he loved it.

The teenagers had a great time, and there were several other children in our group. They all had fun together, and the adults got time to themselves. One of our guides even threw a baseball with my children one evening -- Didn't expect gloves and balls on the trip, but it was a great surprise for them!

It is quite evident that Dave and Sheila Mills love what they do and are dedicated to selecting guides that replicate that. The guides love what they do, and it is obvious.

I will be returning to the Middle Fork this summer, solo! Rocky Mountain River Tours is the best and is the choice you want to make.

1  Thank Mary S
Reviewed September 30, 2012

Beautiful scenery, wildlife, camping and first rate guides with Hughes River Expeditions. We have been on this trip twice and are hoping for a third time in 2013. The fly fishing is incredible and the guides are so talented that even as unskilled at fly fishing as I am I can catch fish. The guides are incredible talented, friendly and awesome cooks.

1  Thank Cody A
Reviewed September 28, 2012

The river itself is a true gem. I knew this many years before my first trip this September and thankfully realized it twice with 2, 5 night floats back to back. Besides the river and area, James and his very loyal guides at Middle Fork River Expeditions are such a proficient and professional team. All pre-trip stuff James handled with great detail and left nothing out. His guides never skipped a beat (or stroke of an oar) and made everyone's time so enjoyable. On a fun scale, they helped push the needle past 100. I loved these guys and gals and will be floating with MFRE sometime in the not to distance future. I have floated and guided many a river in far distant lands and this trip is a must for any lover or wild rivers and places, and these guides are some of the most talented and fun I have ever met. Call James to set up a trip. It’s a slam-dunk.

1  Thank jfcampa
Reviewed September 26, 2012

We had a wonderful trip on the Middle Fork with ROW Adventures. We went in mid-August and the water level was a little low, so the rapids were not quite class IV, but there was still plenty of whitewater excitement (especially in the duckys) and lots of other things to do -- rock jumping, raft sliding, short hikes, waterfalls, caves, petroglyphs. The hot springs were amazing. At camp, our guides did so much to make us comfortable, fed us well, and kept us entertained with jokes, songs, even early morning yoga. We were on a combined family / culinary trip, so there were plenty of kids and plenty of wine.... I'd wholeheartedly recommend a trip with ROW (this was our second with them).