“Great Family Outing!”

Hiawatha Mountain Bike Trail
Ranked #40 of 651 things to do in Idaho
More attraction details
Owner description: Originally the route of the Hiawatha train, this trail was constructed on the old railbed and was completed in 2001.
Reviewed September 23, 2013

Our daughter had done this ride a couple years in the past and had done so with her small kids, but even then the thought of riding 15 miles on bikes with little people was kind of frightening. We had a great time, plenty of time to go through the tunnels and stop along the way at all the informational signs. (Perhaps since we went after Labor Day, there were less bikers?) As I made reservations for bikes and trail passes the process didn't make sense to me, but after the ride I understood the process.
Makes me want to read about the fire of 1910.

2  Thank threeamigos59405

Reviewed September 19, 2013

At a cousin's suggestion, he and I and my husband did this ride just a couple of weeks after my 60th birthday. It was a test of nerve more than endurance -- getting through the initial 1.7 mile pitch-black tunnel and across the high trestles. We had heard stories from my cousins about how it was before the improvements -- no road bed or railings on the trestles, just railroad ties and the ankle-high boardwalk. I don't know that I could have managed that! But I did just fine on the improved trail, even though it's been probably 10 years since I was on a bike. I was even able to stop mid-trestle and admire the views without succumbing to vertigo. When we reached the bottom, I asked if we could go back to the top and do it all over again right away! What a thrill!

Please heed all the comments about lights and the dark tunnel. If you are with a group, it might be a good idea to have the person with the best light lead the way so the others can get a good view of what's ahead. Expect to get a few drips down your back.

If you rent equipment at the ski area, as we did, test your lights before you leave and make sure yours is bright and doesn't wobble side to side.

Also, if you park and start at the top of the trail, note that the bus DOES NOT take you back to that parking lot. Instead, it drops you off at the lower entrance to the Taft tunnel, which means you will need to ride back through the tunnel to return to your car. The tunnel is almost level, though, so we didn't find it too difficult.

6  Thank Dunyazade
Reviewed September 18, 2013

Operated by Lookout Pass Ski area just off I-90 on the Montana/Idaho border 90 minutes east of Spokane, this is great summer fun, pedaling a little and coasting a lot through tunnels and across high trestles 15 miles down the old rail grade from the pass. Buy tickets at the ski area. Either rent mountain bikes and lights there or bring your own. Many hardy souls pedal back up, but most take the provided buses. Note: the trail begins and ends with a usually-damp, constantly-cool mile-plus tunnel with muddy floor and drippy ceiling, so dress appropriately on cool days and bring a towel anytime.

1  Thank Spokanic
Reviewed September 15, 2013 via mobile

The first tunnel is almost 2 miles long with water channels along both sides. People going too slow make it as dangerous as people going too fast. It is damp, dark and seems to go on forever.
You will find all ages of people making the trek. If you are considering taking a child just make sure they can keep up and not be a safety risk to others trying to enjoy the trail. At times the trails are crowded and riding side by side creates a back log for other bikers. The scenery is beyond compare. Don't spoil it for other by using
poor biking etiquette.
If the tunnels seem dark even with a powerful light be sure you have removed your sunglasses every time you enter one of the many tunnels. Just sayin'

6  Thank Idglm
Reviewed September 14, 2013

This bike ride was fantastic, before going this morning I read the earlier reviews and was concerned hearing that the tunnels posed problems. However today I did it with my mom and dad, all the bikes have new headlights which light up the tunnel more than enough, and going through the tunnel was by far the best part of the ride. Anyone thinking of doing this ride... DO IT! It's 100% worth it.

2  Thank JanetNewYorkCity