“Not as impressed during the 2nd visit”

Ranked #905 of 1,714 things to do in Georgia
More attraction details
Owner description: Tent and RV camp sites, water and cooking facilities and a fishing pier make this a comfortable, fun place to excape to from Atlanta.
ATL, GA
75 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 66 helpful votes
“Not as impressed during the 2nd visit”
Reviewed January 2, 2013

This is only the second time we've visited this attraction, the first visit was Dec 30, 2011 -- so this year we spent Dec 31, 2012 at Lake Lanier (which was the last night for 'Magical Nights of Lights').

We decided again to do the package for our hotel stay (bed mattress was too firm this time), delicious breakfast, Magical Light Show and the "Holiday Village" attraction. Since it was the last evening for this event, it seemed like it wasn't as fascinating because things from our previous visit had already closed down. My six year old son was really looking forward to the pony rides - but they were gone already. My son was able to enjoy a few rides and the evening was capped off with him roasting marshmellows in the fire pit. The first time we visited (in 2011), my son was able to do unlimited pony rides -- this year he only received a coupon for one ride (which he was unable to use). The first time was a charm for us, but doubt if this will be a yearly family tradition.

Visited December 2012
1 Thank GAFamilyTraveler

Atlanta, U.S.A.
50 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 122 helpful votes
“Lake Lanier Islands 'Magical Nights of Lights' Not Very Magical”
Reviewed December 28, 2012

This is only the second (and last) time I've visited this attraction -- under duress. Why?

You drive an hour-plus north of Atlanta to join the smokey line of cars creeping ever so slowly through Lake Lanier Islands 'Magical Nights of Lights'.

It costs $60 for a standard car load!

You crawl in line for another hour or so past light displays that have not changed appreciably since they were first installed twenty years ago. Oh, except for lighting displays of various sponsoring advertisers -- their products lit up in all their finery. Oh, yeah, you'll find few, if any places to stop before the 'Holiday Village' for a potty-break.

If you still have any time or energy left, you can visit the over-priced and hyped Holiday Village 'attractions'.

Then you still have to drive another hour-plus home.

Crushingly boring for kids of all ages.

Don't waste your time or your money.

Visited December 2012
20 Thank ATL2World
USA
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 24 helpful votes
“Nice campground but overpriced”
Reviewed November 24, 2012

Shoal Creek used to be a Corps of Engineers campground and for some reason they gave it to the Lake Lanier company. This was a terrible idea because the price was jacked up and a minimum stay required. No one who has a choice of a lake campground will choose this one unless they want the commercial attractions nearby. The hitch is that the Corps shut down their own campgrounds early, this year leaving only their worst one open at Sawnee and this overpriced commercial one. The cost for the least expensive tent site without water is $37, and none of the federal passes can be used. It goes up from there. I am wondering if this is not intended for working people who want a place to stay with a trailer, and not for real campers at all.

So, off season there really is no good place on the lake to camp. For such a big lake, this is a stupid situation.

Visited November 2012
2 Thank linda023
Braselton, Georgia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“Blue Ridge Campground is AWFUL!”
Reviewed September 30, 2012

I do not generally write regarding any type of services I have used but for this to be a top notch resort where I have visited the water park and motels previously, I am writing to say I am deeply disappointed and appalled at the campground. We just spent a weekend there and I was told by friends not to go as it was not maintained well and I guess I should have listened.

The roads once you enter into the only section still being rented are not marked well at all for someone maneuvering any length of an RV especially in the night time. We were terrified if we were going in the right direction. Once set up it did not seem all that bad until we realized the area for the black/gray water dump and the trash had been completely closed off and was not accessible period. This was unacceptable especially with renting out sites that do not have sewage.

And lastly my final complaint is awful. We did have a site that had full hookup but to our dismay and total disgust, as we began to break down and pack up we discovered that the sewage we were connected to had stopped up and backed up all over the ground leaving raw sewage on our water and electrical hose.

It is very sad that such a resort would have such services as this, not to mention the lack of maintenance for the campground. We live locally and find it disheartening that your resort per staff has made it clear that keeping the campground is not in Lake Lanier Islands future. I would suggest you go ahead and stop any usage of the campground since it is very clear that this company has totally let it go……….Renting out sites in the shape they are in is appalling and embarrassing for a local place as this.

I am sorry to say that we will NOT be back!

Visited September 2012
15 Thank LFFarlow
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 28 helpful votes
“Lots of fun!”
Reviewed August 19, 2012

We have 3 boys...ages 3,7,10...and they really enjoy going to LLI! Our 3 year old was bummed that he couldn't ride any of the water slides! There's a kiddie area that he really enjoyed though. He also enjoyed playing in the sand on the beach and in the lake. The carnival rides open at 3:00 so that made him happy too! The bigger boys absolutely loved the obstacle course out in the water! They did it several times. We bought a pizza for lunch...less than $20 and drank our water bottles so lunch was very affordable. You're allowed to take water and a few snacks so we were thankful for that! Oh, and get there as soon as it opens if you want seats under the big umbrellas!!