“A little sunburn is good for you.”
Review of Peace River

Reviewed April 13, 2013 via mobile

We went to Canoe Outfiters because we didn't bring our kayaks with us.

It was a great 4 hour trip down the river. I am a little burned, but it was worth it.

Bring your pasta strainer or sand sifter, and you can look for sharks teeth in the river. That's right Florida was once covered by the ocean.

1  Thank Melbatoast70
in 4 reviews
in 3 reviews
in 4 reviews

Reviewed April 4, 2013 via mobile

Kayaking down the Peace River was an enjoyable way to spend the day with friends and family. Launching off near Arcadia, we had 5 kayaks, small children, two dogs and all had a blast. The kids loved sifting through muck to find abundant shark teeth and shells. Though we did not find prehistoric fossils or giant shark teeth, we did come across others who had that day. The scenery was beautiful and the river was truly peaceful. That being said, the one thing that really bothered me was the littering I saw. Beer cans and water bottles were the most prevalent. Shame on those polluting this beautiful, scenic river.

4  Thank kenscoff
Reviewed December 3, 2012

I read all of the reviews about camping at Peace River before I went and I must say that I was nervous about going but was pleasantly surprised. I was part of a multi family trip.... 16 adults, 16 kids. We did the primitive camping alongside of the river. It was beautiful... we had a nice location beside the river. I'm 5'4" and the water came up to my knee in the middle of the river, much more shallow for the younger kids along the bank. Everyone found sharks teeth and it was a great way for the kids to entertain themselves when they weren't riding ATV's. The speed restriction of 9.5 mph is enforced but its for everyones safety. If you speed around, your wrist band can be cut off and you will not be allowed to ride for the rest of the day. The next day, you will have to purchase another wristband before you can ride again. Because of other reviews that I read, we kept a close eye on our kids. If I had it to do again, I would have hung a streamer from the back of each ATV in our group so the smaller kids had a visual way to keep track of who was in our group and who wasnt. The showers leave a lot to be desired but they do get the job done. I had a pleasant experience with the staff upon check in and departure. I actually lost my camera right before we left and I went to the office to leave my contact information incase someone found it. After I had already left, another member of the group called me to tell me that the employees were riding around on the trails looking for my camera and asking other campers to keep an eye out for it. I really appreciate their efforts. We were prepared, watched our kids, monitored them on their ATV's and followed the rules... had a great time and will do it again!

6  Thank Donna m
Reviewed November 26, 2012

My first trip since the early 80's here. Nephew had ATV so he was in heaven, but the loud, out of control kids riding after dark was not conducive to a peaceful camping experience, not to mention the riders coming up through our campsites all throughout the day. Ladies bathroom/showers were so nasty filthy since all the "mudders' clean themselves up in there and leave the place filthy, took two days for bathroom to be cleaned. If you like lots of loud people and noise till 11pm or so, this is the perfect place for a weekend getaway.

5  Thank Lisa G
See more reviews
Reviewed April 1, 2012

The best kept secret in Florida is the Peace River. It is a fantastic place to get away, relax, reconnect & rejuvenate. Its also a really great place to find sharks teeth & fossils. We did all of the above & we did it on a shoestring budget. Hwy 17 kind of runs with the river so starting in Ft Meade we began checking out the places we had seen online. Nothing really appealled to us until we got to Arcadia. De Soto park is a great place to look if you don't want to rent a canoe or have your own. You can park next to the river & spend the day finding (not just hunting) fossils & teeth. Did I mention its free? And has restrooms around the park. If you do want to rent a canoe we found CANOE OUTPOST (800) 268-0083 to be the best value. Included in the price is the canoe, 2 seat cushions, 2 life vests & best of all a cheat sheet of fossils. The rate for the full day was less than other places charged for just a few hours. Make reservations though to insure they have a boat when you get there. For clean, quiet, safe & easy to find accomadations I highly recommend the DeSOTO MOTEL (863) 494-2992. Located on Hwy 17 its a small family run motel. Nothing fancy, but very clean & comfortable with cable & a full kitchen in some (probably all but I forgot to verify that so I can only speak for what I saw) units & rates that are in keeping with the bungalow style motels popular in the 1960's (which is when this place was built). Overall the whole weekend was amazing!!!!! We found sharks teeth ranging in size from 3 inches to smaller than a freckle. We also found a number of fossils, bones & whatnot. Total cost for the weekend...less than we pay for a weeks worth of groceries or 2 cartons of Marlboro's.

41  Thank Tymaus