“Short walk or long bike ride NOT a hiking trail”

Titusville, Florida
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 27 helpful votes
“Short walk or long bike ride NOT a hiking trail”
Reviewed March 7, 2013 via mobile

I attempted to walk the LOST trail over 8 days and I have never experienced anything like this. This trail is an Excellent 3-6 mile hike or a long bike ride but strongly suggest u do not walk it. Almost the entire trail is concrete there is NO.shade. NO shade. There are NO water points. I attempted and planed on getting water from the lake with my purifier but there was recent herbicide spraying so that was out of the question. I attempted to talk to the many lock operators along the dike but these people were ALL the rudest public servants I have ever met so bad I wrote a letter to the US Army Corp of Engineers. One even called the police because I was walking at 5 am and looked suspicious. It was ridiculous. The maps provided on line of the trail are absolutely useless none of the maps points were accurate. If u plan on camping along the trail the grass is like nails and tons of ants u have to camp on the nice manicured grass owned by the corps of Engineers and they r not happy about it. After 2 days I called it quits and went home it was not an enjoyable experience the sites were nice but after a few hours of seeing the same lake it got old. Lots of birds to look at and I would recommend bringing a fishing pole.

4 Thank onetimek7

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
82 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 105 helpful votes
“Worth exploring if you have time”
Reviewed March 7, 2013

Visiting central Florida, I chose to tour the entire shore of Lake Okeechobee, 100+ miles. It is a long drive with many stopping places to relax or picnic; there is not much shade, however. It is interesting to see how the locks work to let water out of the lake for irrigation, and walking along the trail on top of the levee is pleasant--if the day is not too hot. Not necessary to drive the whole shore--the eastern shore has the best views in my opinion, and the most places to park.

If doing this tour, I would check out the eastern shore for an hour or two, then head south to visit the Seminole reservation museum for an hour or two.

Visited February 2013
2 Thank seniortraveler12
Jacksonville, FL
20 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 59 helpful votes
“Best place for a long view of the lake”
Reviewed January 5, 2012

This trail is level, paved, and up on a dike around the lake. Parking was free, and in Okeechobee, at the south end of US 27. There are covered picnic tables every so often around the trail to rest on. You can hike as much or as little of the trail as you want.. We could see fisherman, tourists on a airboat tour, birds. etc. The folks hiking were very friendly and one group stopped to talk with us. We would definitely hike here again

Visited December 2011
5 Thank momron
Ocala, Florida
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 60 helpful votes
“So Worth It”
Reviewed December 26, 2011

If your in the neighborhood, the scenic trail around the Clewiston, FL area is great for biking. There were a huge number of birds, including many snail kites, herons, egrets of all sorts, cormorants, ibis, pelicans. In fact in one tree, there were about 15 pelicans and several cormorants "hanging out" with only the top halves of their bodies well seen.

The birds are not right on the trail. You have to look toward the canal which separates the lake to see them all. If you want a closer look rent a pontoon boat from Jolly Roger Marina in Clewiston.

Visited December 2011
5 Thank ses-merrimack
Kent, England
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 77 helpful votes
“Soooo not worth it”
Reviewed October 24, 2008

We took a detour from the coast to visit Lake Okeechobee's "Scenic Trail" as advised in the Florida tourism literature we'd received. I can't stress what a waste of time it was, certainly not 'scenic' unless we seriously missed something. Basically a concrete retaining wall around a very very big lake that you can walk along, which I can do within 500m of my own home in the UK along the Kent coast sea wall! Theres really nothing to see here, no picturesque scenery, just some bloke on a fishing boat and that was it. Florida has some absolutely breathtaking scenery but sadly this wasn't one of them. Do not bother making a detour to here, stick to the coastal beaches - I certainly wish we had...

14 Thank DJEngland