“First Time Camper”

5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 19 helpful votes
“First Time Camper”
Reviewed November 2, 2013

This was our first experience of camping with our newly purchased travel trailer. Had trouble finding our campsite & once we did, we realized our camper could not fit in that spot. A park ranger came by & helped us find another suitable site. The sites are not marked very well so you're not quite sure which spot is yours. As much as I love trees, a few of them need to come down to enable you to ease your camper into your site. We were in Loop D which is the pull through sites. Once settled though, we had a great time. I enjoyed walking our dog through the trails around the campground. The campstore staff was very friendly & the store stocked the basics but would like to have seen more fresh items there. Unfortunately a few problems occurred & we had to use the bath house for toilet issues. Checked out the showers & they were so nasty there is no way I could take a shower there & feel clean. Also felt a bit uneasy going in in there at night, Our dog was always on a leash as required, yet there were others there with their dogs running around without any leashes on. Rangers do ride through pretty regular & are very helpful. We did enjoy our time there & would definitely return

Visited October 2013

Occoquan
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Things Have Changed Lately”
Reviewed October 7, 2013

I'll be totally honest and straight up on this past weekend's stay and state our reasons:
1. Campstore was awesome in helpful, friendly and good staff (A+)
2. Cabins - stayed in cabin .. dirty. (Not swept as years before).
3. Cabin - cigarette butts everywhere outside our cabin along with can tops all over the ground, beer cans in the firepit. This seems to be a custodial issue with the persons in charge of cleaning, replacing bulbs, checking cabins before no renters arrive. This has happened the last 2 times we have reserved a cabin.
4. Outhouse near cabins: NO HAND SANITIZERS FOR A COUPLE OF DAYS. Smells really bad.
5. Showers - warm water great for showering but....... dirty floors..(No cleanup overnight after dirt tracked in from outside). HANDICAP shower broken in men's bathroom.!!! Hooks broken off walls for hanging clothes, towels. Women's shower dirty, toilet seats nasty, not cleaned for 2 days...dirty floors. Sinks nasty. (WHAT HAPPENED IN THE LAST YEAR?) Someone not taking care of the place who is in charge of this.

Last year this was not the case...seems to be beginning to run down and not taken care of.

Very disappointed to the point won't be back for a while until this is corrected. Trap Pond use to be a nice park and kept clean by rustic standards. Don't know what is happening here but needs to be addressed.

Saw people walking dogs in areas designated as "NO PETS IN THIS AREA". No one enforces the rules...pretty lax this time.

Visited October 2013
3 Thank 1Daisyduke
Pittsgrove, New Jersey
21 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“Very nice state park”
Reviewed August 15, 2013

This park has very good mountain trails. It also has a nice beach/park area with charcoal grills and pretty water view. There are many private and large wooded sites so we always make a reservation to get what we want. Friendly staff, too.

Visited July 2013
2 Thank mirandamar
Sterling, Virginia
124 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 187 helpful votes
“Wide variety of activities found here”
Reviewed August 4, 2013

We went here to camp for one night. By the time we made a reservation, only the walk-in tent sites were available and we enjoyed that very much. You had some privacy from neighbors, lots of trees. The walk-in wasn't far. Closest to the walk-in sites was a porta-potty of sorts. Showers and other facilities are in the campground, but we did not use those.

We also brought kayaks with us. We enjoyed putting those in at the boat ramp area. There were a few boats on the pond fishing. Our favorite activity of the weekend was paddling to the opposite end of the pond to see stands of bald cypress trees. We had tried to view these from a trail, but by far the best views were from the pond. We very much enjoyed paddling and floating amongst them.

Activities here included walking trails, kayaks, canoes and paddle boats for rent, fishing, picnic areas, frisbee golf course. Speaking of walking trails, if I had a complaint, it would be that most trails are poorly marked. We attempted the Cypress Point trail, but ended up on the frisbee golf course many, many times. It's a one-mile trail and we must have walked three trying to stay in the right place. But it was a lovely leisurely walk, so despite the mis-markings, non-markings, I'm not complaining about that too much.

The campground was clean and seemed well-maintained. There was a camp store that satisfied most needs and necessities you may have forgotten.

Overall, a very decent Delaware Park.

Visited August 2013
3 Thank Imzpickle
Fogelsville, Pennsylvania
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Dont waste your time”
Reviewed July 28, 2013

Ill start by saying EVERYONE was extremely nice. We had no problems with noise or rude people. The camp store has an honor box firewood purchase system so you can pick up wood all hours of the night. (rare to see now days). The trails where nice but, I use to travel to trap pond a lot as a child. I guess this is the reason for the disappointment. When I was young I have memories of bike riding, snakes, turtles, fishing and watching the fish in the water bite the bait right off of the old wooden docks. When staying at the the end of C or D loop we could launch our boat right out of the lagoon. Well now that lagoon is nothing more than a mud filled swamp that has seemed to dried up. The sounds of the bullfrogs are all but gone (maybe the wrong time of year) BUT, the main reason is the water itself. I cannot believe people find a pond that you cannot swim in so wonderful. What is the point of the water if you cannot swim or even eat the fish? We bottomed out in the kayak in about 10 to 12 inches of water and i could NOT see the bottom? It is very murky water, more of a swamp than a pond, to make matters worse there are dead mussels, and fish everywhere that you encounter while kayaking. It actually reminds me of nothing but runoff water. Quite gross when looking at the brown bloated fish washed up dead. I don't know what has happened, but the fish population has gotten so small we never even received a nibble? Either way, I would not return even with the friendly staff.

I now live in PA, and brought my own family down to experience the fond memories I had from my childhood. I might me spoiled now from the beautiful clear waters, and waterfalls of Pennsylvania parks (Ricketts Glen) or (Tuscarora), or maybe my memories as a child aren't accurate, but I surely expected more.

Visited July 2013