“Someone just stated a World Class Attraction, "TRUE"” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #44 of 8,575 things to do in California
North Little Rock, Arkansas
64 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 132 helpful votes
“Someone just stated a World Class Attraction, "TRUE"”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 21, 2012

We entered the road @ 8am in the morning and not much traffic. We took our time and just enjoyed the beauty of the trees and periodically stopped and took lots of pictures. I had no idea of how big some of these trees were. It and awesome thing to think of how many bigger ones were logged out by the early settlers and loggers. This is an awesome drive that you need to take your time and enjoy every mile of it. We stopped on the eastern end of the trail and drove through the Chandelier tree. Well worth the small fee to see it. If I remember correctly the Ave of the Giants was approx 37 miles long and a definite "don't miss" attraction.

Visited August 2012
1 Thank rmr3599

• Polish first
Santa Barbara, California
43 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 64 helpful votes
“A world class attraction”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 20, 2012

The Avenue of the Giants is a world class attraction. It runs for 31 miles, parallel to Hwy 101. If you are driving on the highway, it's easy to turn off and take the Avenue of the Giants instead.

I was planning on just driving through, but I got so enchanted with the forest that I ended up camping at the Burlington Campground, beside the Humboldt Redwoods State Park Visitor Center, for two nights. What a great experience! The campground is in the redwood forest, right beside the road, which made it super convenient. At night there was no traffic, even in August. I enjoyed this campground very much. It had ranger programs in the evening, and one night I learned all about bats.

There are many great trails along the Avenue of the Giants. I walked on several of them. Highlights for me were a trail along the Eel River, opposite the Visitor Center, and a visit to the Women's Grove. Another highlight was just pulling off the road over and over again, to see all the beauty.

Best of all was the nature trail in the Founders Grove. The nature trail is short and easy, but so amazingly beautiful. If you do the nature trail, be sure to pick up the pamphlet that gives you information about the various numbered stops. One of my most memorable experiences of the whole summer was sitting at the spot where the pamphlet explains that the redwood forest has the greatest bio-mass of anywhere on earth, and just contemplating the magnitude of the amount of life that is there in the forest.

The Avenue has at least a couple of trails that are wheelchair accessible, and the campground is accessible, too. All the trails I did were easy and short, but I took a long time to do them because I was on vacation, I had plenty of time, and there was wonder at every turn.

I love the Avenue of the Giants, and I would love to go back again and again.

Visited August 2012
5 Thank HappyTrails12345
Burgess, Virginia
32 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 40 helpful votes
“Oh Wow!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 17, 2012

This is a "DO NOT MISS" attraction. Make sure to visit the Visitor's Center that has exhibits and information about the redwoods and how to find them. The highlight of our visit was the Founder's Grove in Humboldt Redwood State Park. Be sure to pick up the pamphlet in the box at the entrance to the grove.

Visited September 2012
1 Thank Jim0244
43 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 56 helpful votes
“Love the redwoods!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 15, 2012 via mobile

This is a great drive right of Hwy 101. So cool to drive through the area! So easy to get to. Lots of places to pull off and take pictures.

1 Thank Awaywego1999
Atyrau, Kazakhstan
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 57 helpful votes
“incomperable!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 10, 2012

We went this summer and enjoyed the drive. This is pretty much a full day adventure by the time you do the detours/hikes. I uploaded maps for information on groves (involves short or medium length hike) and tree highlights, campgrounds, services.

Visited July 2012