“Definitely worth the slight detour”

Avenue of the Giants
Ranked #48 of 8,707 things to do in California
Huntington Beach, California
30 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 38 helpful votes
“Definitely worth the slight detour”
Reviewed March 31, 2012

I drove on Avenue of the Giants - the old 101 through a Redwood Forest. Lovely! Definitely worth the slight detour. The trees didn’t look all that big until I got out and walked around a bit. OK –they are not Sequoias, but they are big! And it's just lovely to drive under the canopy of giants.

Visited September 2011
3 Thank JewelsR33

• Polish first
Langley City, Canada
72 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 63 helpful votes
“BIG TREES”
Reviewed March 29, 2012

It was a very quiet time of the year, so we found the park mostly empty. The paths were not all well marked. We stopped at the gift shop at The Eternal Tree, the Shop keeper was very helpful and provided us with good directions and suggestions. The weather was not the best but, with his advice we visited The Giant and were very impressed.His advice on crossing the river via a tree (as the bridge is seasonal ) was very helpful and we then passed this information on to other tourists trying to find a way across .

Visited March 2012
3 Thank 607FamilyofFour
Port Townsend, Washington
22 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 27 helpful votes
“Earth Giants of Healing Souls”
Reviewed March 10, 2012

this time through these forests I felt as if I had never been there before...the impact these soulful giants had on my whole body...soul and Spirit was really beyond any words I can write...they came into my whole Being and made me feel like a sacred human who is immensely One with the Earth and humanity...it was a healing of epic proportions...driving through is wonderful and a walk in the groves is the peak of this exquisite experience...I was completely alone with these forests this time of year...no crowds...perfect timing...

Visited March 2012
2 Thank LadyHawke S
San Diego, California
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Great place for solitude on Super Bowl Sunday!”
Reviewed February 21, 2012

I couldnt have timed this any better to avoid the tourists. I ended up concentrating my hike in the Fleishman Grove area. A nice place to just meander about for an hour or two. I ended up leaving after hearing a gunshot in the area. Not sure if hunting is allowed, but didnt want to be mistaken for game either.

Visited February 2012
1 Thank shechauffeurs
California
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 44 helpful votes
“Close Encounter With Giants”
Reviewed February 18, 2012

Avenue of the Giants is a 31 miles scenic road that goes from Phillipsville to Pepperwood, parallel to Highway 101 in Northern California. You drive through groves of the tallest trees in the world. These are the giant redwood trees, some over 300 feet high. If you are a nature lover, this encounter will be a life time experience. Along the way you will pass through quaint towns and the world renowned Humboldt Redwoods State Park. Make sure to stop by at the park's visitors center for maps and information on all the attractions in the area.

Visited February 2012