“Fabulous experience”
Review of Coast Starlight

Coast Starlight
Ranked #1,022 of 9,173 things to do in California
More attraction details
Owner description: This Amtrak route goes from Seattle, WA., to Los Angeles.
Reviewed September 27, 2013

The Coast Starlight from Portland to San Luis Obispo was the final stage of our rail journey that started in Vancouver, Canada. We booked a roomette and this meant we had access to the special waiting room at Portland station. This is such a great way to travel. Not only did we get to eat in the dining car, but we got use of the parlour car. As well as meals included in the price, we also were able to join a wine and cheese tasting. The staff worked so hard to make our experience really good.

The countryside unfolds around you. We went to sleep in mountainous Oregon with all its trees and woke up in California sunshine. Fantastic.

I appreciate that we were lucky because our train was not delayed in any way (in fact, we were a bit early into SLO) so we had a different experience from other reviewers who were subject to significant delays. Also we were clear that there are only certain sections of the route where there are views of the fabulous Pacific coast line; perhaps this needs to be clearer in the publicity? Our only adverse comment would be that we were surprised that on the Saturday evening we travelled, that the restaurant ran out of the "Amtrak Signature Steak" and also red wine. People in the sittings after us would have been disappointed.

3  Thank mrsmills55

Reviewed September 21, 2013

I decided to travel the Coastal Starlight in two separate journeys. The first part of my trip began in Los Angeles Union Station. Since I booked a roomette, Amtak has a special reception for first class travelers at this station. The train traveled along the coast for a few hours while I sat in the dining car eating a fantastic lunch gazing out the window watching surfers and waves dashing against the shoreline. Around 3pm there was a complimentary wine tasting in the Parlour Car only available for first class passengers. Oh yes, that Parlor Car is wonderful. Swivel cushioned chairs relaxing browsing my internet. Dinner did not disappoint either. Grilled steak, baked potatoe, salad, with dinner roll. Relaxed after dinner in my roomette and before you knew it was at the train station boarding the amtrak thruway bus heading for San Francisco. After a few days in San Francisco, returned to finish my train jouney. This part of the trip was 23 hrs. After taking a shower on the train, I slept very well that night in my roomette and woke to a delicious breakfast. The train meandered through the mountains with many kodak moments. The time flew by very fast while dining, watching scenery fly by, chatting with fellow passengers, or relaxing in your room. I would definitely recommend this mode of travel to all. It was a great vacation.

8  Thank Sandra318
Reviewed September 21, 2013

On Sept 16 2013 my husband and I took the Southbound Starlight from San Francisco to La. This was the last day of our 50th year anniversary trip. We were looking forward to seeing the Pacific by rail. Evidently the train ran a red light somewhere near San Jose and we were kept at that station for 7 hours waiting for a new crew after they removed the first crew. I believe the new crew came from Sacramento. We were glad that we had purchased a roomette so our meals were provided(good thing). We left San Jose at 5:10 and arrived in Los Angeles at 4:22 AM. Never saw the ocean and after getting to our hotel for a pricey 2 hour catnap and a shower it was off to the airport for our flight home.

Michael in the Parlor car was the only nice thing about this trip. Major fail Amtrack.

8  Thank Dot Z
Reviewed September 11, 2013 via mobile

Travelling round the states on a budget, had the usual nasty greyhound experiences and managed to get a good deal pre booking coach Seattle to San Francisco. Loads of space in coach, clean and comfortable. Great time watching the country unfold beside us from the lounge (with decent wifi) and very happy with service. That was less than 2 weeks advance buy. So check costs and see what the difference is, well worth it for the long journey.

7  Thank Jonothan82
Reviewed September 4, 2013

The premier trip. Went from LA to Portland, to catch Empire Builder to go to Minneapolis. Get a sleeper on this train and partake of the Parlor Car. Excellent food, great service and the best scenery around.
Everyone should take the time to relax, see America, and enjoy the Coast Starlight.

3  Thank councilman05