Book In Advance

from $153.62
More Info
from $124.19
More Info
All reviews wild horses tonto national forest annual pass day trip recreation shore upstream observing congo mesa picnic birds beauty information
Reviewed July 9, 2018

We love to go visit at Coon Bluff, some cool quick hikes next to the river, plenty of places to cross or play.

Reviewed April 29, 2018

The Salt River runs through the Tonto National Forest and is one of my favorite spots in Arizona! There are multiple recreation areas where you can stop (buy a Tonto Pass so you don't get a ticket) and then hike along the river. I've been fortunate enough to see the wild horses there on many occasions, as well as some bald eagles and coyotes. It's an amazing area that is peaceful and really allows you to connect to nature.

Reviewed January 19, 2018

We spent our last day in Phoenix during our vacation to drive along salt river in Lower Tonto National Forest.

The river shore and its recreation area are beautiful and peaceful especially Cone bluff and Butcher Jones recreation site. It was our right decision to take our lunch along for picnic.

Beside the peaceful salt river, Our main highlight is "Wild Horses". We were seeking for them from every spot the people report about seeing wild horses but we could not find them until we arrive the Butcher Jones recreation site (our last spot we marked for wild horses) at dusk. Fortunately, we finally found them there briefly before they ran back to the bushes due to a noisy family who also allowed their kid to approach quite close to the horses. The kid spoke very loudly in order to greet the horses and to get their attention.

I thought I could not have chance to see them anymore as the sky turned to be darker and darker.

Luckily, when this noisy family left, the big herd of horses came back to the lake again from both left and right sides of the recreation site.
They run and play to each other on the water while some tourists started shoot the photos by using their mobile phone with flash (although they stood so far from the horses, how did they expect to have any good photos. Normally, flash, noise, as well as approaching animals too close, made the wild animals nervous and might be more aggressive). Luckily, One of the observers requested these thoughtless tourists to stop using the flash.

We enjoyed observing the horses playing, drinking and running around for a while before they run back to the forest. I really felt like they did their engore to the patient audiences (like us). The wild horses are so lively, beautiful and really admirable.

Important: Tonto national forest allows the interagency card holders e.g. annual pass of national park to enter only picnic site. If you want to visit more places than only picnic site, you have to buy the pass (es) in advance from either the office of the forest or the retail outlets from the. The information can be found in the forest's official website.

Although we enjoyed spending time there but I considered to give 4 stars due to the some noisy tourists here and there. Although they were fe

2  Thank lanniandeisi
Reviewed October 13, 2017

My husband, 11 year old, and I rented kayaks and went out on the Salt River. We rented fro a company called Salt River Canoe Kayak and Raft Rental located at 9190 E. Balsam Ave. in Mesa. Their number is 480 345-7258. They don't have a website and only take cash, but Captain Ted is the nicest and most helpful person! Highly recommend this place. After kayaks were loaded in our car, we headed to Granite Reef since there is hardly any current. We paddled upstream for about 1.5 hours until the current got stronger. We found a little white beach area, got out, and had a little picnic. We got back in our kayaks and just let the current gently take us back to our original starting point. The views we saw during our trip were absolutely amazing and we saw a ton of wildlife including wild horses, a cow, a javelina, vultures, a crane, and lots of ducks and birds.

Reviewed March 30, 2017 via mobile

I went up to the upper Salt River Rafting with some friends. The Rapids were amazing. We started by Apache Falls and worked our way down the upper Salt River for about two and a half hours. The views from the river of the canyon are beautiful you can see all the different colors and the way the water has carved through sand Stone.

Reviewed December 15, 2016 via mobile

The drive through the salt river area was beautiful.
My husband and I had heard of the wild horses roaming the area and were hoping to see them. To our surprise, my husband spotted two beautiful white horses grazing on the left side of the road. It was amazing to watch them once we pulled over to the side of the road. We got to walk down to the river itself and saw a few people fly fishing. It was a relaxing trip with beautiful scenery.

Reviewed July 26, 2016

We tubed down this river as a young family. I have 3 year old twins and a 7 year old. The twins floated down in an inflatable raft that we purchased for $20 at a local store and the rest of us used tubes. I also had my three kids in life vests. We went on a hot day, 111 degrees, and the water felt soooo good. We saw several different birds, laughed together, relaxed, and enjoyed floating! This was definitely the highlight of our trip to Arizona!

1  Thank cecilyJ
Reviewed July 8, 2015 via mobile

With the weather as hot as it is, getting to some water in the summer is a must. About 20 minutes north off the Loop202 at Power road we found a sweet little spot along the river bed where there are 2 recreation areas. We pulled into Blue Point and chilled all day and watched people float by. It was midweek and a fairly mellow crowd floated down the stream in various tubes and what not. There were free roamong wild horses that played in the river as well. A nust if you have the time and want to chill by the water. QUICK TIP: The Tonto pass is requirred to park and at Power & Thomas you can grab it for $6 a car.

3  Thank Matthew K
Reviewed July 23, 2014

We just had a great day floating down the river except for the last 5 min. We waited to long to get over at the last exit and could not get to shore. As we hopped off the tubes to walk over to the shore we had the fight of our lives. My friend lost her balance and rolled down unable to stand and catch her breath. She was able to grab a large rock past the exit point and held on for dear life. If not for a brave bystander who saw this happening she would have drowned. He did go out and rescued her. As he got her to shore their was another lady who was also struggling to get to shore. He didn't think twice and jumped back in the rescue her. Yes people get over way before the last exit! no we were not drinking, yes we active 40 year olds. I never expected anything like this to happen. I thank god for the stranger who helped us!

2  Thank floatingsally2014
Reviewed April 17, 2014

We went paddle boarding here with friends. Make sure you purchase a Tonto Day Pass if you do not have an annual pass. These can be bought from gas stations nearby. We went to the Granite Reef area and paddled upstream. We saw cows and wild horses. You can also enjoy views of the beautiful Red Mountain while relaxing on the river. It is not very deep. We went mid week and did not see any tubers, but I understand it is busier during Summer months and weekends with tubers.

4  Thank bluelagoon