Book In Advance

from $249.00
from $299.00
from $349.00
More Info
All reviews guided tour private property ice climbing glenn highway ice cleats marked trail dirt road hiking boots access fee tennis shoes state recreation area mile marker hard hats long rifle walking stick black rice blue ice
Reviewed November 3, 2009

Since we were driving west on Hwy 1 during the july 4th weelend, we decided to stop here and see the Glacier. Unfortunately, we didn't have mosquito nets and we walked about half a mile into the trail to see the glacier, but couldn't with all the mosquitos. It was like a wall we ran into. The Ms found every bit of exposed skin to settle on and bite. In short, please get mosquito nets and repellants before attempting this short hike. Try the Knik Glacier tours, this is much more approachable.

5  Thank Stratus78
Reviewed August 6, 2009

We did a full day with MICA, having Jeff from New Zealand and Lauren as our guides. We got to climb to our hearts content the entire day. Jeff is a very accomplished climber and mountaineer and we felt safe the entire day knowing he was the one tying the knots. This was such an awesome experience that we would recommend it to anyone who has a day free in Alaska.

2  Thank MandyBigg
Reviewed August 1, 2009

We range in age from 9-79. We did the glacier hike with MICA guides. We decided to do it that very morning, and so we arrived a bit late. Everyone was helpful and kind, and didn't make us feel bad or put pressure on us. They outfitted us completely and reassured us that the older members of our group would be fine. Our guide Liz was kind, friendly and helpful. We had a great hike, a very memorable experience, with lots of great photo ops. Highly recommended for all ages!

2  Thank greatghost666
Reviewed July 3, 2009

This was exciting because my husband has never been on a glacier. I am from Alaska so I have hiked on a few glaciers, but this was fun for me. We had our 18-month-old daughter in tow and the hike was just fine for her. This is an easy hike for anyone and we enjoyed it as a day trip. I totally felt like it was overpriced though. We paid $15 per adult, which is silly. We paid it simply because we had just drove a number of miles from Anchorage where we live. They should have discounts for Alaskans, for sure. But it is a good walk especially if you have young children. We would have offered pictures but we forgot our camera! This is a good day trip simply because of the scenery. I recommend this to anyone looking for something to do during a beautiful summer day here in Alaska. Glaciers are amazing and offer plenty of history, so it was enjoyable for us to experience it! A guide would be very helpful if you would like to experience the glacier further, as the regular hike doesn't take you very far.

2  Thank thekarabels
Reviewed September 16, 2008

MICA Guides Ice Falls Trek on the Matanuska Glacier
We chose the 3-hour tour, which may have been a bit too long/repetitive, but the alternate 1.5 hour tour would have been too short, I think. We paid $70 per person, plus a $15 per person glacier access fee (all paid right to MICA using a credit card). They outfitted us with helmets and crampons, which were easy to use and not at all clumsy. (There were times later in my trip that I wish I still had them with me.) The trek was very easy; nothing too taxing physically. Although we began at ground level and ended up a good deal above sea level, I never felt as though we were climbing at any significant rate. We saw lots of ice formations and crevasses that were very interesting. Our guide, Andreas, took lots of photos of us. We had some light rain/drizzle, but I wore a "Deadliest Catch" Red Ledge rain suit that worked tremendously. Sun glasses would be a must on a bright day because of the glare. I would recommend at least the 1.5 hour tour for an interesting peek at the glacier.

3  Thank fluffnfold