All reviewsvip barplus sidelobster dinnera la cartesmain buffetpizzasnack baritalian restaurantwater shoesfishcloser to the beachnewer roomsmain poolair transatomelette ladybeach resortpublic bathrooms
Reviewed March 24, 2015

March break stay and it was busy.
Large spread out resort, lots of walking. A la cart restaurants were good, buffet not so much.
Difficult time getting a cosistently good drink, drank beer as a result. Vip bar was better. Bring your bubba cups.
Under serviced resort, staff work hard but not many of them to serve you. Quality of service was mostly good through.
People at the resort not as friendly as other places I have been. Lots of people from Quebec and Italy. Resort had more of a party vibe, if you are looking for quiet, look at other options. Beach was crowded and not very big, bring water shoes and reserv your palapas early...0700.
Some public toilets didn't have toilet seats, for 1500 bucks I expect toilet seats, they aren't creature features.
Bring stuff to give away to then staff, clothes etc. don't tip the staff with loonies and toonies, they cannot convert them.
Overall it was a nice resort, better suited to families then romantic quiet getaway.
Plus section on the top floor has ocean view but partially obstructed by trees. Room was average but bed was rock hard and noisy, common complaint amongst others, bathroom spacious and modern.

Room Tip: Top floor for ocean view
  • Stayed: March 2015, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Mark L
Reviewed March 23, 2015 via mobile

First time in cuba and wasnt sure what to expect..stayed in the new plus section block 17..new rooms very nice and clean. Lots of hot water and good pressure. The pools were nice especially the plus pool. The beach was abit rocky but if u have watershoes your good. The big plus is the snorkeling rite off the beach. You can walk in and swim to the reef..excellent. the staff are wonderful and they try very hard to please. The grounds are maintained and groomed nicely..the food was ok but nothing special..you wont starve. The fruit was of poor quality and not much selection. The drinks were good but the pop was horrible.the cappicinos are excellent..better than the coffee. The disco is small and is hit and miss for a crowd. My overall assesment is this resort is nice if you want a nice quiet vacation since it far from any towns. Very remote so on the resort is all you get unless you want an hour taxi ride to holgiun..very little nitelife..so if your going to party this resort may not be for you..

Stayed: February 2015, traveled with friends
1  Thank gutshot62
Reviewed March 23, 2015

My wife and I finally decided to break away from our Canadian Winter and chose the Blau Coste Verde Plus after reading MANY reviews. We were not disappointed! In our opinion, the less than favorable reviews we read, were from people who are far too picky. It was our first trip to Cuba and we found the Staff extremely accommodating and friendly, always a warm smile :) Any of our concerns went out the window shortly after being there. The food was good overall and neither of us had any issues with it. The a la cartes were delicious and the wait staff looked after us as well as ANY Canadian restaurant, only friendlier!
We opted for two excursions which we highly recommend. We hooked up with another really fun couple and went out on the Jeep, Mini Speed Boats, and Horseback riding Adventure. Had an absolutely awesome time! We also opted for the Catamaran and Dolphin Cruise, which was a blast! My wife finally swam with the dolphins and got lifted out of the water by a pair of them, a lifelong dream realized! The snorkeling was amazing. The food on both excursions was top notch.
Our room was spacious and comfortable on the ground floor of block 26 and centrally located in the middle of the resort, easy short walk in any direction to whatever you want, VIP bar, Lobby, beach, VIP pool. The Plus is definitely worth it. We brought home half the money we took as it wasn't needed and we tipped quite generously. The staff was truly top notch. We really enjoyed Raul and Jerry at the VIP pool bar, they were engaging, friendly, and witty and our cups rarely went empty. There was not one negative episode worth mentioning other than my wife breaking her foot on the Catamaran cruise when she slipped between the dock and the water taxi because she wasn't looking down when she crossed over, her fault. We really enjoyed ourselves thoroughly and highly recommend The Blau. The weather couldn't have been nicer, 33 to 34 degrees all week long. We will return again someday!

Room Tip: Book the VIP Plus, well worth it. Don't shut the patio door without your key in your pocket, the door locks when you close it and that will be your first trip to front desk. We did it twice, duh. Use the extra key front desk gives you to keep the air conditioning going while you are out. Book your extra excursions before you go, it's cheaper to pay in Canadian.
  • Stayed: February 2015, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Warren M
Reviewed March 21, 2015

Just returned from a wonderful vacation yesterday! We travelled with another couple and it was our first trip to Cuba. Stayed in block 48 which is the furthest from the beach but close to the Plus VIP bar, Spanish and French a la carte restaurants. We spent all seven days at the beach which was about a 7-8 minute walk from our room. While this may seem far for some we really enjoyed the exercise and the quietness of our room. We had breakfast and lunch each day at the PLUS buffet which is close to both the beach and the PLUS pool. Wait times to get an omelette or made to order grilled fish or shrimp stir fry were minimal or non existent. The service was excellent, we loved the omelette lady and our fantastic server, Leidisbet!
Visited all the a la carte restaurants. Our favourite by far was the Italian. The manager, maitre d' and servers were excellent. The soup, entre and dessert were all a "home run". We also enjoyed a second to none cappuccino and purchased a bottle of red wine for ten CUC to enjoy with our meal. Thanks again to everyone at the Italian restaurant for taking care of us.
Our second favourite was the Spanish restaurant. Surprisingly the Cuban Restaurant was our least favourite.

The nightly entertainment was very good and we really enjoyed the activities at the beach.

Previous reviews mentioned bringing bug spray containing deet for the bugs. We didn't open the bottle. No bugs!!!!

Suggestions
- a welcome drink at reception when bus arrives
- hire more bartenders at peak times
- a map of the resort in the room including times when restaurants, bars open
- schedule of events
- list what PLUS customers are entitled to etc

Overall we really enjoyed our stay and we will be back!

• Stayed: March 2015, traveled as a couple
11  Thank station39
Reviewed March 21, 2015

We wanted a family get away in the Caribbean. My favorite activity for relaxation is snorkeling so I spent quite a bit of time on line locating a resort in Cyba where it would be possible to do some off-shore snorkeling. That information was surprisingly hard to find. I don't like to depend on a boat to get out to a reef and I like to swim a couple of times a day at my own pace. I had great memories of a resort near Santiago where I stayed several years ago, but there were no all inclusive packages to that part of Cuba from Ontario. I found the bay at Playa Pesquero on the side where the Blau Costa Verde is located was just what I was looking for. While the corals off shore are not in great shape, apparently because of past hurricanes, they are coming back and the fish life was really quite fabulous- I was excited to spot moray eels which are very shy on two seperate occasions. Unfortunately some snorkelers feed the fish which is bad, both for fish and water quality - a practice the resort should discourage.

We had a fun week together. Normally I am not looking for entertainment while on a sun holiday but the depth of talent in Cuba in music, gymnastics, dancing was really very impressive and I found myself looking forward to it every night. I think the 2 adult kids were really surprised by the artistry. I even enjoyed the childrens show with the clown.

I recommend staying at the Blau Costa Verde Plus. For some reason we had made a mistake for one of our 2 room bookings but the front desk was able to move us the next day, and get us at least in the same unit facing the ocean. We were very happy they could accomodate us!

The Plus gets you up to ~ 4 evening meals in the different restaurants rather than the buffets. It is important to line up as early as possible in your visit to book those meals.
The Blau is a big resort and buffets do not bring out the best in guests! but I enjoyed the smaller veranda-like buffet close to the beach for lunch. I did get a bit tired of the wine supplied with meals - seems it would have been possible to order and pay extra for other wines but it was not clear how this worked. The family was quite happy with the meals- one has to remember this is not North America and some things are very hard to obtain in Cuba - things I liked were mango juice, guavas, grilled eggplant, lamb, omelettes to order, good french fries, grilled fish.

Room Tip: Definitely book the Blau Costa Verde Plus (not the older part of the resort)- the units facing the ocean are very private and peaceful.
  • Stayed: February 2015, traveled with family