“Close to the City”

Ranked #10 of 10 Hotels in Holguin
Roanoke, Virginia
“Close to the City”
Reviewed January 14, 2013

Our group of 8 stayed here for 5 days because of it's proximity to the city. I'm careful not to compare it to hotels found in other countries, but I can't help but give it a poor rating due to its lacking performance in some basic areas. The staff was indifferent to guests. The breakfast buffet and dining hall were not very clean. It was hard to get a good nights rest with the loud music from the pool and disco and one of us had a problem with ants in the bed. Poor bed, linens and pillow. Questionable clientele (read the other reviews) left me feeling a little uneasy about being there. We did, however, have hot water every day and the air conditioner in the room worked very well.

Room Tip: get a room far away from the pool
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Godsgoodearth

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Ilkley, West Yorkshire, UK
Reviewed December 2, 2012

Basic hotel with terrible buffet style dinner and breakfast.

Spent an evening at the bar near the pool, there were very few other guests. Turned my back for a moment and my jacket was gone.

Staff had been clearing tables very quickly after guests left and there was littel other activity.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank AJSGILLAM

Travelers are raving about these Holguin hotels

Hazlehurst, Georgia
Reviewed October 31, 2012

On a recent trip to Holguin with 21 other Americans, we stayed at this hotel for 8 days, The service was very good, the food was good, and the overall expreience was great, Cold a/c in our room, and plenty of hot water (though not drinkable). Beds were OK, but not terrible.
Remember that this is Cuba and they are not privy to really nice things, so consider that when you travel to Holguin.

Room Tip: Don't attempt to trade US dollars for CUC's at the hotel. Go to a bank because you'll ge...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Dennis K
Houston
Reviewed August 15, 2012

Stay away from this property!
It was my first time in Holguin. Unfortunately, Holguin does not have any hotel downtown which caters to the tourist. I had not choice but pick Pernik hotel. The hotel amazingly won an architecture award in 1999. The hotel was build during the Soviet era: Square structures, and ugly design, nothing to be proud of but I am not an expert in architecture and my comments are not regarding the beauty of the hotel. I just want to write my experience during my stay. The hotel is falling apart. I was put on the third floor in a room facing the pool. The room was full of blackflies (some king of tropical bugs). To make matters worse, very loud reggaeton music was playing in the pool. For a fee, locals can use the pool. These make the swimming pool a public facility. More than 50 people drinking alcohol all day. I don’t have a problem with that but the music all day is horrible. I would not recommend anyone swimming in that pool. I witnessed several people spitting in the pool. Anyhow, I don’t have a problem with that. I choose no to use the facility but the music was unbearable. I requested to be relocated to the other extreme of the building. Fortunately, I got a better room where I could not hear the constant loud music but when it rained, the wall became the “Niagara Fall” I had to pick my shoes from the floor otherwise they got all wet. It may cause you to laugh but it is the true. I am not a picky person, I am clear that you get according to what you pay. For 3 nights, I paid over 280 US dollars, including breakfast, lunch and dinner. The food was HORRIBLE. Just to give you an example, for honey, they served sugar dissolved in water. Pork was swimming in oil. Very greasy food. You could find fresh mangos as well as limes all over Holguin but the hotel does not provide a dissent natural fruit juice. No limes, they had nothing. On my second night after I eat only soup, I went outside and the music coming from a terrace in the front of the hotel cough my attention. I went to see what was there and to my surprise they have a very nice bar in that terrace. The nice young manager urged me to come back and enjoy a cocktail since the place was almost empty. Later on, I returned to the same place wearing a short, t-shirt and tennis shoes. It was July 12. When I tried to go upstairs a security person told me I could not go to the terrace in shorts because they had a “dress code”. I could not believe what I was listening. I was going to a TERRACE in a two star hotel in the middle of the summer weather!!!!! When I explained to him that the manager told me to come back, he refused to let me in. I told him that I wanted to speak to the manager of the bar and as I tried to go upstairs, he grabbed my arm and pushed me. At that moment I noticed the smell of alcohol coming from the security man’s mouth. I told him he does not have the right to touch me and he said “that is the way we do things in Cuba” I reported the incident in the front desk and no one took care of. I even spoke to the public relation person and she only apologized.
Despite my bad experience in this property, the city of Holguin is very nice. Next time, I will stay in a private house rather than this hotel.

Room Tip: When you face the hotel, stay on the first floor on your right.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank Roberto36
Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed April 9, 2012

i've stayed here twice & had no problems. i read about people having stuff stolen etc...don't be an idiot & leave your purse, money or anything of value unattended. the restaurant varma had decent food for very cheap. $1 beers, bottled water,pop, etc. $6 bottles of rum & vodka. all the staff was very friendly to me. i never had anything stolen from my room & i left my cameras & camcorder in my room visible to cleaning staff. i made sure i tipped my waiters, bar staff & cleaning people for the average salary in cuba is $17\month so there is no reason you can't afford to tip! everyone in the hotel treated me well. i had 2 cuban girls i met a year before stay with me in the hotel both times i was there & they were treated well. i got an ear infection on xmas day & my 2 girls & a hotel taxi took me to the hospital where a doctor looked at me in 5 minutes & gave me a prescription & i got it all FREE! no charge to see doctor or for drugs. the taxi was $3. the hotel is loud for there is a public pool that serves alcohol & food. it also has water activities throughout the day. there are 3 bars in the hotel as well as 2 restaurants. this hotel is a $3 cab ride from downtown & there is always taxis available. this is not a tourist all-inclusive hotel so don't expect it to be 5 star or 3 star. my room both times had a clean shower, toilet seat & if there was a problem it would be fixed asap or they would gladly move me to another room. this is not a hotel for a romantic getaway because it is 57kn from the beach. the music is blaring from the poolside or the bar upstairs for 2\3 of the day. there are many tourists with cuban dates & this is very common there. you don't want your hotel to have local people in it then go to the all-inclusive resorts. this hotel is for those people who don't want to be with other tourists. this has local flavor all over it & if you don't want local families & beautiful girls strolling around poolside go somewhere else. this hotel accomidates both locals & tourists. too many people need to lower there standards, this isn't the hilton!!!!

Room Tip: basic rooms with a shower, air conditioner,etc. i never once had a cold shower. you might get a leak...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Joe S
Toronto
Reviewed January 13, 2012

This hotel is a “stand by” place to stay in Holguin that has its own rundown sort of charm. This sprawling place could use a coat of paint and it always seems to be undergoing some form of renovation, so they are trying. The pool is big, you can have good swim here and there is lots of room to sit around and get a tan.

I paid the high season rate for a single, CUC 26 (buffet breakfast included – but very uninspiring fare). The room was clean, and properly serviced each day. The A/C worked.

The service at the poolside bar was slow but friendly. At least there were no really obnoxious guests during the time I was here and people basically leave you alone to do your own thing.

The downstairs restaurant at dinnertime was surprisingly good by Cuban standards. The waitress actually managed to cope as guests filled up the kitschy room. Service required a half hour, the food was good and not too greasy and the price reasonable.

There is a Tienda that actually has reasonable inventory of basic items and clothing. The clerks here were helpful.

It was always possible to get a taxi immediately outside.

The workers at the check-in desk are rather indifferent and only printed out a proper detailed for me after I insisted (I demanded to have more than high credit card slip as evidence of payment). When I asked about Internet usage, I was told that it was not working.

There is Cedeca here where you can change money when the banks are closed.

This hotel is generally good value for money, if you don’t expect to be pampered.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled solo
5 Thank Dirk D
Canada
Reviewed November 25, 2011

Hi everyone! I just want to give you a heads up on something that is becoming more and more frequent in many places in Cuba but in particular at Hotel Pernik where there are a lot of prostitues sleeping with old men from Quebec or other places.

I know this is my own fault but I had left my purse unattended in the washroom for honestly one minute while changing from my bathing suit to clothes and the next thing I knew it was gone. I had a brand new camera stolen, a long with an MP3 player and 250 CUC. Anyways, I learned my lesson, NEVER LEAVE YOUR THINGS UNATTENDED even for one minute. The girls will watch you come in and target you as pray for an easy steal. The reason why I don't like this place is because there are SO many jineteras who are always looking for an easy way to make money.

It is sad that I won't return here again because the music is fun and the pool is a great place to cool off while living in the city.

If you do go here just be careful with your stuff and people trying to scam you. Also, dont be surprised with all the not so wonderful prostitues.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends