“First time but certainly amazing!!!”

Blau Costa Verde Beach Resort
Ranked #3 of 11 Hotels in Holguin
Reviewed March 17, 2014

We booked this trip last minute with the assistance of Destiny Travel and Jessica's expert travel advice. This was my first trip to Cuba and chose it because it was just for myself, my daughter, sister her friend and a friend, her husband and two preschool children and we just wanted to get away from the cold. I read a lot of reviews some really good other not so good. We travel a lot and Cuba was never really on my list of places I wanted to see, but now we can't wait to go back. This resort was excellent, very clean, well laid out and the food was awesome. Always fresh, hot and the A la Cartes were all very good. We booked them for 6:30 so we could fall back on the buffet if they weren't good. There was a 24 hour snack bar that had really good burgers and warm sandwiches. The cappuccinos were to die for. The staff were excellent, always very polite and helpful. The pools were always very clean and the beach had a few rocks but very nice the water was beautiful. Very pleased that the paddle boats and watercraft were included
in the price and there was no one peddling on the beach. We always were able to find shade. I can not wait to go back and take the rest of my family. We took a horse and buggy ride into the town and it was very nice to meet some of the locals and see their homes, schools, church and stores. Such happy peaceful people who have so little but are so content. The resort was very safe. Short walk to the beach and pools. We were in the 19th block. Our room was very spacious huge bathroom and very clean. Stocked bar fridge. Always fresh cold water. Very quiet and safe they have guards at night. Well worth the hour drive from the airport. For all those negative reviews I think they must have had the wrong resort because I would have to say it was above and beyond my expectations. We did have the plus service and was able to use the VIP lounge which was very nice. Bring face clothes and a bath sponge. Great resort for children, but have a lot of places adults can get away to.

Room Tip: The rooms around the main building might be noisy during the day because the activity around the mai...
8  Thank princessatheart

Reviewed March 15, 2014

Hi we are a couple in our 50s, enjoy snorkeling and after 10 yrs in the Riviera Maya decided to try Cuba. We flew Sunwing out of Winnipeg in early March (SW was excellent by the way). If you are a deal spotter and are flexible, check their Tuesday departures to Holguin to this resort.

What a great choice the Blau was. We upgraded to the Plus section and thought it was worth it though we did not take in all the features like the amazing new pool. I won't repeat all the detail that others have written so well but will just make a few comments:

We really liked:
-Food: yes this is subjective and everyone is different but we found it to be mostly very good. Lots of high quality cheeses and meats, large platters of fresh shrimp or paella every night, lovely fresh grilled fish lunch and dinner, fresh fruit etc. Lots of sausage like chorizo and ham, incredible bacon at breakfast, Spanish frittatas (from the oven so 2 inches high) etc. We only did two a la cartes the Cuban and the gourmet. Cuban was much like the buffet, gourmet was the only poor eating experience at the Blau: Chicken overcooked and tasteless, dessert crepe was to die for though

-Service: I have never seen a staff like this anywhere except maybe Italy. The warmest, most considerate, hardest working people you will meet. Treat them with kindness and respect and you will get it back tenfold. Not all guests have mastered this believe me!

-No towel wars: the beach crew picks up the hundreds of loungers and locks them up each night. There are piles of them and the guys will get one off the pile and set it up for you. Lots of shade on the beach too , mostly under the trees.

-Wine: I have never tried wines from Spain (Blau is a Spanish company) and they were great: nice simple table wines right out of the bottle: favourite white was from a grape called Xarel-lo which I had never heard of and our favourite red was a merlot tempranillo blend...very nice indeed. Most AIs do not have drinkable wine IMHO.

-Beach and water. Nice sandy beach about 600 yards long shared with two other resorts. You feel a bit cheek to jowl but not overly so. The water seemed warmer than Mexico and even without a reef to protect it was very safe to swim and paddle. Only about 6 feet deep out 200+ yards.

-Entertainment: amazing for a 4 star: roving band on the beach ( be sure to get their CD), professional musicians in the main bar every nite at 7:30, great show at 9:30 on the huge outdoor stage, etc.

Quibbles and complaints:
-Sleep quality: we are light sleepers and the plus section rooms (very nice if a bit Spartan) are in concrete buildings. The doors are steel with heavy springs so if you don't watch they crash shut. We often hit the bed by ten so when everyone else came home to their rooms we were treated to a crescendo of slamming doors which reverberated thru the building. There must be a way to fix this as I have noticed it at other resorts too...like why do we need these spring loaded doors? Anyway we found ourselves woken up every night this way until about 11:30...after that utterly silent so that was good.

-No screens on the sliding doors: we like to sleep with our sliding door open at night and with a few mossies around we would have preferred a screen. It was no problem we just made sure we did not have lights on after dark with the door open. During the day and after "lights out " no problem.

-The Plus restaurant and bar: seemed all closed in and austere to us. You can't even see out as all the windows are draped. The plus bar makes a killer chocolate pina colada though!

-The bellmen: a sullen and disengaged group, not sure what their problem was but they were totally useless.

-No Geckos: maybe they will move in as the place ages a bit. Lots of fun lizards to watch outside though.

-There are no rooms on or near the ocean.

Other comments:
-There are now two buffets for brekkie and lunch, our favorite being the Ranchon down by the beach.
-There are about 5 bars open at any one time during the day...don't miss the quiet little palapa bar across the pool from the snack bar.
-The loungers are the hard plastic types so if you tend to get your head in a book for a few hours your butt gets sore...take a stadium or hiking pad (you know, those blue roll up things)
-If you are a big reader and don't use the eBooks bring a few extra books as the small swap library is pretty thin,
- We are not souvie buyers but loved the wood carvings for sale on site and at the market in Guardalavaca..Got a set of 5 mahogany (reused scrap wood) butterflies with lacquer paint for less than $50. Ingenious: they are designed to come apart for shipping home. Not all the vendors are there every day so grab something when you see it. They are not pushy at all. Also bought a very nice handmade straw hat that is re-shapeable for $10. The prices were so low and quality so high I felt too guilty to even haggle but waited for the vendors to come up with a package price.
-There are lots of kids at this resort and they don't go to bed at 8!!. We liked their energy but not everyone does. With no WiFi it was great to see the teens just hanging out having fun, not with their heads buried texting as they seem to do here.
-Two nice private beaches: walk past the dive shop on the trail and after 1 and 5 minutes you will see these little gems.
-This is such a comfortable place to stay it is hard to describe.
-if you are a coffee lover check out the lovely dark roast beans at the airport shop: 3.45 CUC for 250g...yummy!

Don't miss:
Gala night : Tuesdays: Vivaldi played by a great string quartet at the main restaurant, huge spread of fantastic food, after dinner, four outstanding opera singers on the main stage followed by a 6 piece flamenco dance troupe with an 8 piece orchestra. Incredible to see even if this is not your usual choice of music. We absolutely loved it all.

Pig roast on Friday: The gardeners roast a pig on the beach and bring it up to the snack bar around 4 to be served where you are visited by a 20 person dance troupe with their own band with fun games and music...huge fun

Snorkeling: given what we had read, we were a little disappointed in this I must admit, Just not the variety, coral head size and diversity we have seen elsewhere in the Carib (we are a little spoiled having spent a lot of time at Akumal in Mexico). Here is what there is: if you swim out from the dive shop ladder about 100 feet you will see your first coral heads in about 12' of water. You can tell you have arrived as you will be greeted by a school of Sergeant majors, the only ones out there! Turn right and zig zag down the bay and you will see a few small heads and recovering areas of coral on the ocean floor at depths of 4 -12 feet Obviously some heavy damage from the last hurricane but recovery is under way, like finger corals and some brain coral. Lots of cool gorgonians, sea plumes and fire coral which I enjoy . And a few live elkhorns which you don't see often now. The most impressive area, about 200 ' offshore had about 7 large elk horns which are near enough to the surface that you will see a break on them when the wind is from offshore. The water clarity was excellent when we were there with vis at least 80 feet. The usual top ten species of fish were present with a few good sized parrots. There were no rays which surprised me as this is perfect ray habitat...maybe they are too tasty....not great eel habitat though it may be in a few years. So, enough to keep you occupied for a few hours of exploration. We did not explore the area at the other end of the beach in front of the Playa Pesquero and I found a cool snorkel map of that area AFTER we got back (duuuh). If you Google "snorkel Playa Pesquero" you will get the map. Wish I had had this as the pictures make it look better than the area at the Blau.

Overall I have to say I was amazed at the value for your vacation $, quality and service offered at the Blau. What a terrific place. And of course it is in Cuba which is itself a fascinating society...there is no place like it anywhere Make sure to get off site and see the area and talk to some local people, even if its just to Guardalavaca on the bus Can't wait to go back!

Any questions, I'd be pleased to answer them.

Glenn

Room Tip: Block 28 is very close to everything, maybe a 5 min walk to the beach, 3 min to lobby. Our unit 20...
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
19  Thank Arcosdad
Reviewed March 15, 2014

Just returned from the blau costa verde resort. This was our first time going to Cuba and we were a bit apprehensive. We found that this a good value for the money spent.

Service- we felt the service was terrific and experienced none of the issues I have read in other reviews. staff was very friendly, we never had to wait more then 5 minutes for a drink or to attended to.

Pools- the pools were crystal clear and very very clean. The pool at the plus side was never very busy and we could always find seats.

Beach- The beach is wonderful. We snorkelled right from the beach and it was wonderful. water shoes are a must as it is quite rocky. I would also recommend bringing your own snorkel gear. we booked paddle boat and kayaks and it was never a problem to reserve as long as you did so first thing in the morning.

Room- we stayed in the 28 block of the new section and it was perfect. Very quiet.

Food- This is Cuba people if you want Canadian food stay in Canada! that said we always found things we liked. The sit down Italian restaurant is a must lunch as they have wonderful thin crust pizza and calzone. The food is different though and I would recommend bringing some stomach medication just in case.

Drinks- the only negative is the glasses are very small so bringing your own is the way to go. They are quite strong!

Overall we were please with this resort. The resort is not a party resort which suited us fine.
The weather was incredible!

9  Thank kimmie27
Reviewed March 15, 2014

We travelled with a group of 9... Our flight was delayed and it was 3 am when we arrived... Checking in was fast and pleasant...we travelled with a group of 4 who's experience was not as good as ours... This is my second time to Cuba first was varadara... And at this hotel the staff are not as out going as varadara, but the Buffett was much better here, than varadara, and although here at the Blau it was the same thing there was always something to choose from and the snack bar which is open 24/7 is a must! ... Here's some pros.... Save in tip money because staff isn't nearly as out going, even at meals.... Clean fresh rooms and linen daily, fridge always stocked daily, plus section has more restaurants and better / quieter pool , internet is pretty good, drinks ( slush) are yummy, breakfast is amazing, restaurant cooks are very pleasant, evening shows where great and Italian a la carte and the gourmet a la carte where very yummy... Much more just can't think.... *cons* was in block 36 i believe in the plus and it is a very long walk to all amenities, i would deff book pool view in the plus section building 16 and 17 I think! It's much closer to everything, even the main building and buffet.... All the activities seemed to be in the regular section - ex pool activities , which if you pay to upgrade you should have the same.. Staff wasn't very outgoing.... And same food at the buffet all week.... Switch it up a bit? Other than that we had a great time, the jeep tour is a must and take some
Candy for the children they love and appreciate it.... Deep sea fishing was a great experience... Beach is Rocky, take water shoes, but is totally amazing for snorkelling with lots of tropical fish. We would go back again. Don't sweat the small things out of there control... and enjoy paradise.

• Stayed: February 2014
10  Thank Labourcnl
Reviewed March 14, 2014

My wife and two teenage children went to Blau from March 5th-12th. I had read many positive and negative reviews about the hotel and decided to try it for myself. I have been to Cuba twice before and many other islands down south. We flew with Canjet and luckily were able to get the emergency exit doors which had more leg room. Once at the hotel we were placed in section 48 which in the newer part however quite far from the beach. The beach itself had a rocky area (coral) but many areas where you can walk out for a long way. There is an amazing spot just to the right of the beach where you can snorkel and see many types of fish. Put some bread in a water bottle and squeeze it out while you swim and the fish will surround you. The hotel itself was very clean and we enjoyed the buffet better than any other hotel in Cuba. The staff are friendly and provided great service. Of course like any trip you get whiners who demand to be served promptly and have a scowl on their face if they have to wait a couple minutes. Your on vacation in Cuba -RELAX. The only place in the hotel that provided poor service was at the beach sporting activities hut. The workers there were more concerned with you paying for the services and the hotel only has a minimal amount of booking for the catamaran's. I would recommend this hotel its a great quality for the price. Here are a few suggestions.
1. Take the Island trip which has a great beach and a jeep safari
2. If you want shade on the beach you have to put a towel on the chair by 8am
3. Book the Italian a-la-carte-its very good
4. BOOK the BLAU PLUS its only a few dollars more when you book but you get lots of extras . More places to eat, a pool which is very quiet and lots of chairs, newer rooms with big showers and comfortable new beds and a flat screen tv (Disney, cnn, history channel)
5. Renting a Moped is only 15 pesos for 2 hours ($18 Canadian)
6. Bring big plastics cups for cold drinks and thermos cups for the coffee
7. Bring you own mask and snorkel if possible to dive off the reef at the beach
8. My wife and Daughter loved swimming with the Dolphins and the Aquarium
9. Although throughout the week the buffet didn't change much there were lots of options
10. There is a Doctor at the hotel during the day if needed and apparently reasonably priced
11. NO wi-fi anywhere however line in Ethernet works but is slow
12. Bring an adaptor for gadgets because the rooms are all 200amp service (hotel has only a few)
13. You can change money at the hotel 24 hours a day without your passport and rate is better than at the airport
14. If you want to travel locally but don't want to rent mopeds you can rent a taxi for several hours for approx. 30 pesos
15. Relax and enjoy your trip don't get hung up on the minor things that other people mention in their reviews such as the place ride or one particular incident at the hotel

26  Thank brikel
Reviewed March 14, 2014

We visited this resort on Feb.26-Mar.5...3 gals, my cousin, my 13 yr. old daughter and myself. We stayed in the plus section, in Bldg. 28, on the first floor. This was a fantastic location, so centrally located, and close to everything. First year we didn't have to have our room changed! A nice,quiet resort, with friendly and very helpful staff, everyone of them couldn't do enough for you! Koodos to the staff!! The food was great here, never had a problem, nice to go to the beach restauraunt for breakfast as well! The pool for the new section was our favorite place to be. The bartenders there were soo nice. The beach was also very nice, but quite crowded, and it was very rocky to walk into. Water shoes for sure are a must here.The entertainment here was a bit above other resorts we have been too...but does go thru alot of other stuff(mini disco), etc.which gets very repiticious...I find it hard to keep from yawning while waiting for show to start!!We did do the sunwing farewell excursion on the day we were leaving, which was well worth it..a trip to Holguin City, a nice lunch included, a tour of the city, shopping and then you go to the airport in the V.I.P. lounge to wait for your flight back home. I would highly recommend this to anyone! I would also go back to this resort in a heartbeat!

Room Tip: Bldg.28, in the new section was an excellent location.
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
8  Thank lovescubaNovaScotia
Reviewed March 13, 2014

My wife and two teen ages sons spent spring break at this lovely resort.

It's about an hour from Holguin airport. We arrived at the hotel at noon and was pleasantly surprised to find our room ready. We opted for the premium family plus suite. Another pleasant surprise when we entered the room(s).
For the kids, that had a huge sofa couch, a portable bed, with their own TY, fridge, balcony, four place dinner table and bathroom. We had a king bed, TV, fridge, full bathroom with Jacuzzi.Both frogs where socked daily with beer and soda. The room was kept spotless every day.

The beach was nearby and very beautiful. Water sandals mandatory for the rocks at the edge of the beach. Many people (men) insist on waking up at the crack of dawn to put a towel on their beach spot even though they may only use it for a short time during the day. We found nice places everyday as the beach was well populated. Not too many, nor too few people.

The pool was nice as well. Always enough room to play and lounge in the sun.

With the plus package, you get four a la carte meals. This cuts down on the cafeteria buffet meals. Nevertheless, we found the food to be of good quality and plentiful.

The evening entertainment was basic. Some excellent act, i.e. break dancers, where fantastic. There were always waiters around to get you a drink. There were very generous in that regard. Obviously, bring your thermos or large mug.

The service was always excellent. The peso tips were ALWAYS appreciated. (five pesos for the room/day.) The entire resort was spotless. Not even a cigarette but laying around.

We took the Bay adventure expedition. We truly enjoyed that. Tons of amazing fish, great food, friendly catamaran crew, horseback riding on the beach for 3 pesos/hour. Wow.

We wish there were a few more tennis racquets and basketballs to go around.

I give this resort a five star rating because it lives unto it four star hotel rating. I highly recommend it.

Room Tip: Got for the plus. The people who didn't prebook the plus, all upgraded.
10  Thank James Anthony M
Also consider these accommodations in or near Holguin
Blau Costa Verde Plus Beach Resort
Memories Holguin Beach Resort
Memories Holguin Beach Resort
#3 of 4 in Rafael Freyre
Paradisus Rio de Oro Resort & Spa

Been to Blau Costa Verde Beach Resort? Share your experiences!