“Very disappointed, positive reviews misleading ”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Holguin
Blau Costa Verde Beach Resort
Ranked #3 of 11 Hotels in Holguin
Reviewed February 2, 2014 via mobile

We went with a group of us, 4 adults and 3 children (5, 6 and 7). I emailed them before we booked to get info on the children's activities and babysitting costs. I was told they had a kids club from 10-5 and extra care was $4. When we got there the kids club was actually only 10-12 and 3-5. The extra care was $8 per kid/hour. Very disappointing as we had planned to do a day excursion without kids. There is no playground or kid specific areas so bring your own toys if you choose to go.
The food is fine with lots of options. You won't starve but you stand in LONG lineups (30+ min) to get something fresh made. Way understaffed. It took 2 hours and 15 min to be served at the Cuban restaurant. By the time we received our dessert the kids were tired and cranky, we had to leave.
Staff was pleasant enough but that is their job, I wouldn't expect less.
The room we stayed in was old and outdated. The front door wouldn't close unless we slammed it (had someone across the hall yell at me about it but told them to take it up with the hotel). We were ground floor and our patio door wouldn't lock. When we complained we were told it would be $10/per person/per night to upgrade.
Maid service was less than standard. I had to go complain to reception to get clean glasses and sheets after the 3rd day and then we never got clean sheets again (I cut my leg and bled on the sheets so I know for a fact).
The beach is beautiful and great for snorkeling. The water is rocky and I highly recommend water shoes. There was a ladder by the dive school so we would go in and out there as I couldn't handle stepping on the sharp rocks. If you follow the path to the right of the beach it will take you to a smaller, secluded beach. We went there almost everyday as you could see all sorts of creatures that avoided the main beach.
Cuba is beautiful and I will go again but I won't stay here.

Stayed: December 2013
1  Thank Jenn800
Write a ReviewReviews (3,077)

Reviewed February 2, 2014

I booked the Blau a few weeks before leaving and read amazing reviews. People returning 5-6 times to the resort must mean it was an outstanding resort... WRONG! I can say I am not picky, and I am not difficult but I've been to a 3* in Cuba (Kawama in Varadero) and felt I got the same quality at the Blau, except the upgraded PLUS room of course.

ROOMS: Check-in was quick and we arrived to our 'regular' room. What a disappointment! It was dark, the bathroom was old, super dark and the ceiling was falling apart. Oh, and cold water in the shower as well. I got into my bed to find some sand like the sheets weren't changed. My mother and I wanted to upgrade to the PLUS section but we were told to come back the next day around 4-5pm, we could upgrade for 10 CUC/night per person. We ended up upgrading and it's worth it if only because of the room. We got an higher floor room, ocean view, nice glass shower, etc. The room was always super clean, thanks to our maid.

FOOD: Bleh... Always the same thing, no variety, bland, cold. It's the worst food I've had in Cuba, and I've been about 8-10 times so far. The italian restaurant was good though and the Cuba restaurant was ok as well. The lineup at the buffet were crazy, doesn't matter what time you get there.

SERVICE: Just ok. One or two bartenders were giving amazing service but most staff didn't seem to care, tip or no tip. Sometimes we wouldn't even get wine or coffee when sitting at the buffet. We really did save on the tip this time because there was no way I'd tip for that kind of service. We did tip those who deserved it, of course.

BEACH: I didn't swim in the ocean much, you sort of need water shoes and I didn't bother. It's large and nice though, plenty of space and chairs.

POOLS: They really need more shade at the VIP pool!! I preferred the other pool for this reason.

I wouldn't go back to the Blau. I was expecting a little more. Returning guests were telling us the hotel quality was going down with time. Too bad.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank avapopelectric
Reviewed February 1, 2014

Our family stayed at this resort January 14th -21st .there were pros and cons but all together it was a great trip.First trip to cuba and told that the food was going to be horrible so I expected the worst.In our group we had 24ppl 13 of them were children and nobody starved.I'm also a chef and did enjoy a couple things they had.It is a bit repetitive I just went to one area each day instead of trying to eat everything everyday.I think the kids enjoyed the Italian place the best(pizza)The mini disco for the kids was great it's repetitive which was good so they learn the songs.The shows we did watch we're also very good. The beach was great we did read the other reviews before we went so the water shoes are helpful .there are places where snorkeling was good and you can see the fish.The best bartender was the guy who worked at the swim up bar I wish I remembered his name but very friendly and made the best drinks .we also did an excursion horse back riding the reps don't advertise the smaller ones but so much cheaper 25 for 2 hrs of riding as oppose to 100.I would ask to see all the excursions in their book .
we did notice the older gentlemen with the young Cubans but We didn't care it's not like they were inappropriate and it was late at night .It was a good experience I'd definitely go back

• Stayed: January 2014
1  Thank hellodd
Reviewed February 1, 2014

Some people need to calm down a bit. Although this is not the greatest resort, it also is not a 5 star resort either! Here is a summary of the good and the bad during our week of visit:

Front desk - It really depends who you're lucky (or unlucky) enough to deal with. Some staff may be a little straight-forward but most of the front desk staff were very nice, understanding and helpful (and we had to deal with almost all of them).

Rooms - We had a vip oceanview room. However, if you really want oceanview then you must get a 3rd floor room. We were given a 2nd floor room to begin with but changed it to 3rd after a few days because you barely have any view if you are located on the 2nd floor. These were the new blocks so the rooms were clean, tidy, and the maid service was great. Please keep in mind that the walls are super thin and any noise easily gets through so mind your neighbours!

Beach - this is the best beach I have been to Cuba. By far better than the varadero beach and a lot more exclusive. Plenty of fish to see in the waters but definately take water shoes to protect your feet from the coral. Also take your own snorkling gear! Yes, they lend out snorkling gear for free but it is not sanitized. I personally saw the staff put the snorkle gear that I'd just used back up on the wall to be given out to the next person without any sort of sanitization.

Food - there isnt a great variety of food at the buffet but it is not too bad either. Personally, I am never picky about food and as long as there is something to fill me up I don't care too much about anything else. The pizza, calzone, and burgers at the snack bars are pretty good too!

Shows - the shows were great. I would say 5 out of the 6 shows i saw was enjoyable specially the aquatic show and the magic show. Both were very entertaining so I'd suggest not missing them.

Bars - the drinks were good however at times it seemed like you had to wait too long to get a drink so they definitely need to increase the number of bartenders on duty when there is more people at the resort.

A la cartes - I was actually surprised that these were pretty decent for the most part. The lobster and the italian a la cartes come to mind as the best ones.

Pools - Only tried the VIP pool but the water always seemed to be a bit too cold for my liking so I never spent much time in there and preferred to spend time at the beach instead.

Crowd - This resort was almost exclusively full of family/couples/seniors. So if you're looking to party til late night you should probably look elsewhere.

Staff - In general the staff were kind and accommodating. Of course there is always exceptions to the rule anywhere you go. (For example, the bellboy that dropped our luggage off at the room expected a tip and stood there staring at me until he got it).

Room Tip: Get a room on the 3rd floor if you want oceanview.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank 3nigm4
Reviewed February 1, 2014

I booked the Blau Costa Verde as a last minute vacation and honestly was not expecting all that much. However, I must say I was pleasantly surprised! The hotel is truly spectacular as is the location!

Room Tip: I was located in Block 47 which is part of the newer section and is quite far from everything, so if...
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled solo
2  Thank Andre H
Reviewed January 31, 2014

Check in staff was not pleasant. Besty was not kind, she needs to smile, so people at lease feel welcome. Laundry was not helpfull either. We booked oceanview and was given a room above the main reception bar. The noise level was so high. We went back to reception and complained and was then given a room in block 27. It was nice with a partly oceanview.
Resort pools were nice. Kiddie care club was o.k
Shows are good. Food is poor. Very repetitive. Lots of pork. Stew, fried, barbecue. Ham. Sausage. Lots. What a pork house!
Tried the night club to change mindset . Very good music. Best music ever. People were nice. But 2 guys dropped their pants on the dance floor and were gyrating on each other. Guys if you know to dance , then dance. This was attention deficit.
The bartender was disgusted and tried to stop the music. He called security who was afraid to say something. Lots of people left. Maybe these people booked the wrong resort. This was a family friendly resort. Some of the staff is kind and helpful.

• Stayed: January 2014
3  Thank Rick345
Reviewed January 31, 2014

The service was "outstanding", such super staff; rooms could use some upgrading, especially the bathrooms, ugh - no facecloths......There were NO BUGS in room or on beach or anywhere....The food was very good and tasty, repititious, however you encounter this at most inclusives anywhere, and we've stayed at some pretty classy places in Mexico, so we know. The room hallways and staircases were not clean......The entertainment was OK. We stayed for 14 days......The one thing I deplored was all these "Older European Men" with their young lady companions (mostly African Cuban girls, all tiny and so pretty), made me sick, parading around.......It rained alot in our first week, overcast, sunny on our last 4 days, and this is their dry season......

Room Tip: There is a new VIP area, exclusive to them, bar, pool, etc: We looked at them the only difference wa...
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Claire E
Also consider these accommodations in or near Holguin
Hotel Club Amigo Atlantico Guardalavaca
Blau Varadero Hotel Cuba
Hotel Roc Santa Lucia (Ex Gran Club)
Hotel Roc Santa Lucia (Ex Gran C...
#1 of 4 in Playa Santa Lucia
Villa Islazur Mirador de Mayabe
Brisas Guardalavaca Hotel
Brisas Guardalavaca Hotel
#2 of 3 in Guardalavaca
Villa La Roca
Villa La Roca
#2 of 41 in Holguin

Been to Blau Costa Verde Beach Resort? Share your experiences!