“Great Christmas week at Blau Costa Verde” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Blau Costa Verde Beach Resort

Blau Costa Verde Beach Resort
Ranked #3 of 10 Hotels in Holguin
Ottawa, Canada
“Great Christmas week at Blau Costa Verde”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 14, 2014

We spent a week at this resort in December and found it very enjoyable and good value overall. upon arrival we decided to upgrade to the newer section Plus and didn't regret the decision. Rooms in the older section look clean and ok too, but a bit outdated and with older bathrooms. Plus section rooms are new and have all basic amenities you would wish for in the resort. Grounds of the resort are medim sized and it is easy to get from one side to another in short 5 min. walk. Beach is lovely with lots of spots for shade and rocky shore near by making it a nice snorkelling spot. I would recommend water shoes is you are sensitive to the rocks in the water, although there are areas where you can get in without using them. Food in all restaurants was good with lots of variety. There was an amazing Gala dinner set up for Christmas which added festive atmosphere. We tried all specialty restaurants (staying in the Plus section gives you this option). Spanish was my least favourite with Cuban and lobster dinner the most favourite. I found buffet one pretty good too. Entertainment was there for those who wished to participate and nightly shows were good (some better then others).
Kids club wasn't really entertaining for kids over 6.
In summary, the resort is nice but don't expect luxury. Service is great and people are very friendly and helpful. Would go back during the weeks when prices are good.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
6 Thank TravelGirl A K

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (635)
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Birkenhead, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 14, 2014

What can I say we visited cuba for the second time on November 29th 2013 for two weeks
first time was in 2007 to guardalavaca hotel brisas and a couple of days in Havana brilliant .
So when we got the opportunity to go back we jumped at it choosing bcv what a mistake the rooms are dated and dirty i dont know where the 4 star rating came from but i think it deserves about a 2 star the food was terrible and repetitive the a la carte restaurants were a lot better but only 1 visit to each per week the mini fridge(which kept us awake all night) was supposed to be restocked daily with soft drinks / beer and a bottle of water Not ours it was empty when we arrived then it was restocked for the next two days then after we only got water I really struggled with the food in the buffet restaurants I don't like sauces / gravy etc everything was in a sauce yuk! only way around it was to queue up and have one of the chefs cook fresh fish / pork / chicken or beef depending what night it was(as I don't eat beef I only had fish /chicken or pork( you can only eat it so many times without feeling sick) which by the time it was your turn in the line and it got cooked I had gone past wanting it or there was little of anything else that was edible to accompany it I got used to making bread rolls up as a meal in the end
the entertainment wasn't my idea of fun silly games during the day dancing lessons(forward and backward forward and backward clap clap clappy clap) if you've been you know what i mean if your going god help you) and the never ending announcements of "we are blau costa verde beach RRRREEESSOORT
The worst part was the prostitutes they were everywhere mainly with old ugly Canadian men who obviously had no shame as they flaunted there trophy's around the complex half of the girls looked as though they should have been at school i'm no prude i'm 54 years old if I wanted to see that I would go to Amsterdam I don't want to see either
when I expressed my concerns to paula the manager she was very diplomatic and tried to convince me it didn't happen "prostitution is not legal in cuba" she finally admitted I was right she was powerless to stop it as they had proper bookings so were treated like any other guest
we were in room 3314 and were told this was one of the better rooms the others must be really grotty if that's the case she did offer to move us but I declined the offer as I didn't want to get a room that was any worse
and the situation with the mini fridge I was told to take up with my travel company as hotel policy was only water to be restocked
so on reflection did we enjoy bcv NO will I go back there NO would I recommend bcv DEFINATELY NO Cuba is a beautiful country but it will be a long time if we ever go back after this experience

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank graham l
Norval, Ontario, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 13, 2014

My wife and I stumbled across this option after finally deciding we both wanted to go to Cuba for a quick unwind. I was enticed by the weather and reports of safety and the the people. My wife had been before, and enjoyed the weather, people and experience in general. We knew of the various complaints about Cuban time, bland food etc, and knowing that, we accepted that we had no great expectations, but just a nice time away to a different country with our 2 and a half year old. After a relatively short flight (delays due to Toronto weather), we were in weather over 50 degrees warmer than where we left. We arrived to a somewhat disfunctional front counter. We checked in, and it appeared our room had not been prepared. No fridge on, no bottle water and no spare bed for our little one (to be included in our package). This was somewhat frustrating, but taking it somewhat in stride, we got our spare bed (3 requests and 6 hours later at 4am). Committed to staying positive, we accepted we were in a different place with different standards and committed to keeping an open mind (as these types of experiences can set a tone, and ruin all following positiveness). To our delight, nothing else of the sort affected our vacation. The people were more than pleasant. The food had great variety, and was plentiful (not a 5 star restaurant, but that was not what we paid for). The beach was excellent. White sand, somewhat rock in the water, which made snorkelling off shore a relaxing treat. We ate, slept, tanned and relaxed our time there. It was ideal for young families and the retired. As a party place, I recommend somewhere else. People had fun, but not a crazy time kinda spot. Perfect for us. We did one tour with the dolphins. It was expensive $250 for the 3 of us. But entirely worth it. Our SunWing package was a great deal and we were happy to over pay on anything outside of our package. All in all, we plan to return and could easily plan for the exact same trip. I recommend ear plugs for any light sleeps or early sleepers. Much of the non-plus rooms from on the stage and bar area. Our room was very loud, but our noise cancelling machine and ear plugs handled that just fine. Without, it may be a different review. We may do the Plus option, but am not entirely sold on the value of the upgrade after our experience at the regular rate.

Room Tip: If you can find rooms not directly facing the stage or bar areas, that would be very helpful.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
5 Thank Mofcarter
Halifax, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 13, 2014

Blau was one of the best resorts I have ever stayed at. The hotel staff were all so friendly, they will go out of their was to accommodate any of your needs.The food and drinks were amazing!! The beach was beautiful and very clean. The only thing I was dissapointed in was the fitness centre but I made do with what was there and went for runs off the resort (it is a very safe place). The big thing that blew me away was the kindness of the staff. This is a very well managed resort.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
7 Thank Kocon
Sevenoaks, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 13, 2014

Handy for diving, food was a bit repetitive - especially for us veggies, but on the whole they did well with what they had. The guava juice for breakfast was the best I've ever had!

The beach was great, the grounds were landscaped beautifully and although the surface of the tennis courts wasn't quite grand slam standard, it was more than made up for with the plantings and ubiquitous butterflies and birds. Plenty of pools, loungers etc, but don't see the point when you have white sandy beaches and warm blue sea.

The entertainment was incredible, from Cuban son bands to opera singers and string quartets and much in between... at least 2 different types of music in separate venues each night and a water ballet once a week. Kids entertainment seemed to happen each night too.

Get a room that isn't over the bar, that was a bit noisy, but we were moved without fuss. The rooms are clean and fine, the staff were nice and friendly and very helpful.

Just because it's all inclusive don't hang around. Old American car taxis are cheap and the drivers give you a bit of a tour, Holguin is 50 minutes away and worth seeing. It's also fine to take walks or cycle (take your own). You can sail or kyak free from the beach and loads of other activities too.

The diving was better than expected, plenty of soft coral, sponges and enough fish to make it interesting but not quite up to Red Sea or Indian Ocean for species and size of fish or coral.

We went end of Nov beginning of Dec 2013, it rained almost every night and was a sunny 30 degrees C every day... Fidel and the socialist government have it well organised!

Room Tip: Not above the bar!
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Mikethecoach
Liverpool, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 12, 2014

First of all let me start by saying that I feel compelled to write a review because of some of the unjust ones that I have seen on here. my family and i stayed at the Blau from December 26th-October 10th 2013. Now I must point out that my suitcase did not arrive in Cuba with me and I was forced to wait a further 8 days before I got my belongings but this is the fault of Thomas Cook not the hotel, but I must say that the staff were excellent in dealing with my problem, more so than the actual holiday representative for Thomas Cook who was hardly present. They went out of their way to locate it and find out details etc for me, in fact the manager Paula was especially helpful in eventually getting the details for my case's arrival. The place is simply magical. From the idealic surroundings to the luxurious rooms to the beautiful people. There really is a buzz about the place. Everything about the resort is just amazing and the staff are a credit to the place. They really do go beyond what is asked of them in order to make your stay as good as it can possibly be. There were a few minor niggles such as the older men with escorts but in all fairness these shady characters don't tend to appear until later at night when children are normally in bed so it would be of no consequence to families. The Blau really did exceed all of my family's expectations, there was just so much on offer in terms of food, entertainment, activities and facilities. We had the time of our lives and just did not want to come home. We were so impressed that we're already planning our next visit this year. I can personally say that after visiting the Blau and Cuba this is the ONLY place that my family want to go to from now on, it just has everything for us. And for someone who didn't have their suitcase or belongings for more than half of their stay, if I'm giving the hotel a 5 star review what does that tell you? Even having nothing could not dampen my experience. it really was that good! ignore the bad reviews and get yourself to the Blau. You won't regret it ;)

Room Tip: Stayed in the plus section, defo a must for the ultimate experience of the Blau. The best room i'...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
14 Thank Ricky232014
ManagementBlauCV, General Manager at Blau Costa Verde Beach Resort, responded to this review, January 17, 2014
Dear Guest;
Our sincerest gratitude for your review! It really means a lot to us that you have chosen as your favorite vacation spot after your first visit and we’ll be honored to have you and your family as our guest again in the future.
Thank you again!!!

Best Regards
Paula Gili
Winnipeg, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 12, 2014

Will describe myself as a well travelled individual and going to give an honest assessment of Costa Blau resort......been to Holguin/Guadalavacca area 3 times and .

We love meeting the variety of people around the world and created friendships with people that remain to this day that we still meet up with. In fact, what "saved" us from this resort were the Cuban friends we met at another resort 3 years ago from Holguin who we met up with after Day 4 of our 8 day vacation. I have been to Mongolia and trout fished and not had toilet paper for 5 days and electricity so I am not a traveller that needs anything more than RESPECT and a willingness to see the differences in all of our cultures.

It did not start good as when we were checking in (wife and 3 kids) we were given the "heads up" from departing guests right at the breezeway leading into the resort as they were waiting for their bus to take them back to Frank Paz International Airport in Holguin. Nice gentleman said that he was glad to leave as he was constantly fending off a bunch of rude clowns from Quebec that he said was just constant right from the get go from the time he arrived. He said the last straw was the morning when his daughter stepped in crushed glass that was pushed under his door on the third floor the morning after he asked them to tone down the swearing and singing in the hallway at 3:00 in the morning. I could see the bandages on her heel. Nice eh?.

Sure enough, he was spot on.

We encountered the rudeness right out of the chute as buffet was one hour after we checked in.....we sat outside as we dined only to have a father and son think it was nothing but hilarious to start feeding two feral cats with his table scraps. Did he want to have the cats fed close to his table? Of course not...he would lob the pieces under OUR ;) table that was 10 feet away and when after about 20 seconds of him doing this and the hairy eyeball glance that I gave him had to go up to his table and let her know that I prefer eating meals without unvaccinated diseased cats throwing themselves claws up at scraps at me and my family legs that he could maybe just chill it. Looked at me and feigned he didnt know English. I guess in Quebecs $9 dollar a day daycares common sense could be better instilled.

And it was everywhere this time. Line cutting was EVERYWHERE...rude LOUD uncouth, chainsmoking, neck tattoed, 95 decibeled conversation French people.

It was so bad that even on Day 3 on our Jeep Safari we had two lovely ladies in the back speaking French and when I commented that it was finally nice to meet some considerate French people they replied that they were from Belgium and how even they were shocked with the boorishness. They said the night earlier they had 6 women singing "Alleluia!!!!" for 5 hours on their balcony at the top of their lungs all drunk and we laughed and said we heard them singing "Aleluia" at 8 at night in the inside lounge (I **know** people are reading this and nodding their heads).

I feel sorry for the staff...they try their hardest under the circumstances and they have to deal with it nonplussed and when off the resort....when my 6 yr. daughter was pushed out of the ice cream line by ...you guessed it.....pushy Kay-beckers that dont understand that there is a concept of "first come first served" basis a waitress by the name of Rosalie went out of her way to bring ice cream right to our table a heartfelt "Thank You" .

One of my sons is overweight.....speak French from my hockey playing days in Switzerland...and I could hear behind me 2 or 3 kids mocking and laughing at my son and they did this EVERY time we coincided our eating excursions. I gave them a pass until one morning at breakfast they walked by and started giggling and laughing and my eyes watched them as they went back to the table and I saw the parents turn around and look at my son and nod affirmingly. So I waited for a bit...walked up to their table and spoke to them directly and asked them what language they prefer to speak in and naturally they stated "en francais" and I told the whole family that so much as one more smartass comment from them and our next conversation will be a little more uncomfortable to say the least.

We wont be coming back......my review is a "Average" because after speaking with our Sunwing Rep, she indicated that she would have dealt with the problems in a very direct way.
The staff work very hard with what is given them.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank Darren I
Also consider these accommodations in or near Holguin
Ocean Casa del Mar
Sol Rio de Luna y Mares
Sol Rio de Luna y Mares
#1 of 3 in Guardalavaca
4.0 of 5 bubbles 5,491 reviews

Been to Blau Costa Verde Beach Resort? Share your experiences!