“A nice relaxing break”

Ranked #3 of 10 Hotels in Holguin
Edinburgh
“A nice relaxing break”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 13, 2013

Arrived by private transfer from Santiago de Cuba late morning and was grateful to be given early check-in at no extra cost. We were slightly disappointed with the room - fairly drab and had obviously seen better days. We made early use of the pool area and again felt the area in need of a good refresh (beds uncomfy and erratic when trying to lie down!).

Before fully settling down we decided we would enquire if there was potential to upgrade to another room (we agreed we would pay up to £200 for the 5 nights) and discussed with Reception. The gentleman couldn't have been more helpful and in deed we could upgrade to the new section of the hotel for the grand price of 50 CUCS (around £32) for the full 5 days. We inspected the room and what a difference - infinitely better than original room and we had moved everything across within minutes. This gave us access to the new/larger (and nicer) pool, premium drinks and access on a more frequent basis to the a la carte restaurants.

Buffet restaurant was of good quality and relatively varied. A la Carte restaurants were also nice, but I felt service was rather slow, although I think some of these had just re-opened for the season so perhaps still getting up to speed.

All staff were great and a special mention should go to Miguel who attended our needs at the poolside bar.

All in all - just what I would hope for in an AI resort.

Room Tip: Depending on cost it is well worth upgrading to the 'new part' of the hotel
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
6 Thank GerryM0301
ManagementBlauCV, General Manager at Blau Costa Verde Beach Resort, responded to this review, November 18, 2013
Dear Guest;
Good to know that you decided to upgrade to our new Blau Costa Verde Plus and that you enjoyed the option. Your comments on the items you feel need improvement, like restaurant service, are also noted! We’ll extend your appreciation to Miguel. Thank you very much for your post.

Paula Gili

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (647)
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 12, 2013

My husband and I have celebrated our 5th Wedding anniversary at Blau Cost Verde Plus, we were very pleased with our stay at the resort in general.
We have enjoyed the new resort facilities, loved spending early evening having a drink at new VIP lounge.The new La Gourmet and Spanish restaurant have a nice ambient: modern and classy. The food presentation at all Al-Cartes are amazing.
New swimming pool is huge and there is lot of space to swim and we were always able to find a chair with umbrella.
Ocean and swimming pool water temperature was exactly how we like it: warm and comfortable.
Resort Manager -Paula Gili is very personable and envolved in everyday resort operation. Paula she is definitely making sure that guest are well taking care of and more likely you will end up meeting her in person. Great job Paula!
We also meet many wonderful new people and made some new friends:).
See some of the pictures pertaining to the resort Plus section.
We will return:)

Nadia and Frank

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
7 Thank Nadia2931
Dear Nadia and Frank;

We’re happy to have provided a nice atmosphere for your wedding anniversary celebration. We’re proud that our Plus is soon gaining popularity and are making every effort so that this will keep happening.
Thank you for your comments regarding myself, but everything is actually a result of teamwork.
Let us know if you decide to come to visit us again in the future.

Brampton, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 11, 2013

A week back from Blau Costa Verde in Holguin Cuba and we already miss it.
We were married on Halloween (Oct 31, 2013) on the beautiful beach setting accompanied by 44 of our family and friends.
It was beautiful, amazing, and we would not change a thing about our special day.
I WANT TO THANK BARBARA ESPECIALLY!!!!
WHAT AN AMAZING WOMAN SHE IS!!!!
Barbara took care of everything for our wedding. It started already a year prior with back and forth emails to every detail for our wedding day (hair, rooms, flowers, music, meals, Horse and Carriage, paperwork, ETC).
She is quite a special person and I really want to thank her for everything she did for us.
We would also like to thank Paula - Manager for Blau Costa Verde. Paula was always smiling. She always made a point to come and speak with the guests to see if everything was ok or if we needed anything THANK YOU PAULA!!
We also want to thank Alex (our friend and waiter for our wedding dinner) he was excellent.
Miguel - our pool bartender (Amazing)
We were located in the new block 26 of the resort. The rooms are very nice and the view from the 3rd floor out to the ocean is beautiful. Our entire wedding party was in this block and everyone loved it!!!
This is our 4th time to Blau and the staff and hotel are top notch. The food is great, the drinks even better, the new pool was wonderful, but the ultimate BEST ARE THE FRIENDS WE HAVE MADE AT BLAU.
Thank you again for a wonderful wedding and we will be back again next April

Love to you all Kim and Robert

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank kimmy_1268
Dear Kim and Robert;
Thank you very much for your post. We understand what a particularly important celebration a wedding is and devote all our efforts to making it a truly special event. Many couples have honored our hotel along the years by choosing it as venue of their special day and have become regular guests thereafter.
It has been a pleasure for all us to share this special moment with you.
see you soon!!!!

best regards

Washago
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 7, 2013

Stayed at the Blau last April and loved it. Problematic was my very old room (located above the front desk area) which provided various challenges. Staff seemed unconcerned about the issues but the Nolitours reps fixed everything. Grounds and pools are amazingly nice and tidy despite the construction which was going on. Staff are friendly and not at all imposing (single female travelling alone...) Food was good; lobster outstanding. Layout amenable and lots to offer. Dive shop nearby very good staff, equipment, prices. Ask for Leo or Luis who are great. Line ups were dreadful at the exchange booth and front desk. Horse and buggy dud named Raydel the best. Ask for him with security or other buggy drivers but keep in mind sometimes people will say they don't know him to push the business to a friend. He is worth insisting for. Take the bus to Guardalavaca for a cute little side trip (inexpensive) to check out the beach and market there. Playa Pesquero is a great beach. Luis at the boat rentals (included) is great. Overall a good choice of hotels and now the construction is complete i'm told.

Room Tip: The old rooms are dicey. Perhaps now that the new rooms are completed they will upgrade them. Locati...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
7 Thank M K S
Dear Guest;
Yes- construction has long since finished, so that is no longer an issue. The new rooms, which is what was being built back in April, are all incorporated now as part of the newly-launched Blau Costa Verde Plus. Our apologies if the staff seemed at any point unconcerned about any issues, we’ll see what could have failed – but please take into account that in fact, the rep couldn’t have fixed any of these without the staff’s support.
do not hesitate on contact us if you ever decide to come back in the future.

North Sydney, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 7, 2013 via mobile

Just returned from the Blau nov. 3,the people and area are great.This was our second trip to Holguin and it never disappoints .We upgraded to the new plus section,building 16,it was close to the new pool and the beach.The new dinning buildings were close as well as the old ones.Everything considered I would return to this resort.

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
9 Thank Chris2012123
Dear Guest;
Thank you very much for your post. We are so satisfied to read that you fully enjoy your holidays, all our efforts are towards it.

best regards

Gosport, Hants
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 6, 2013

We had the enormous pleasure of staying October 21st to the 4th November. We were worrying after reading some of the reviews before we went but our fears were quickly dispelled. We were given a room in the new section so that was a great start. As I had informed the hotel that we were celebrating my wife's birthday we were already booked in the lovely Italian a la carte and they provided a beautiful birthday cake. Just about every complaint in the rest of the resort had already been taken care of by Paula. There are still one or two issues but I am sure these will be quickly sorted out. One of them is the time waiting for a drink and a table. This is not such a problem at breakfast because people can help themselves to a drink. If the same option was available at lunch and dinner and a drink of some description was available, water, beer or wine you could then take a seat and get some food while the table is being set.
I am convinced that it is the friendliness of the staff at the Blau that makes everyone else get on and lots of groups of friends were formed. Phil, Margaret, Tony and Sue a big Hi, you were great company.
This is not a long review because I can only echo the comprehensive review by garysgurl who seems to have covered most of what I wanted to say.
My biggest worry about the place being overrun by Cubans was completely unfounded. The small number that were there at the weekends during our stay were friendly and courteous at all times. If you have any fears of going to the Blau, stop right now. We loved it. If it was just a short flight like the Canadians have we would not hesitate to visit every year. It is no surprise that so many of them visit time after time. The few photos I have attached are intended to show a good representation and are not enhanced in any way. What you see is what you get.

Room Tip: Don't be disappointed if you are in Block 26 it is lovely and quiet
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
13 Thank daveandsuef
Dear Guest;
We have indeed increased the self-service stations at the main restaurant for lunch and dinner. Coffee and tea readily available, for example. As you point out, we try to be proactive – take care of any issues there may be in an immediate and effective manner.
Your comments are much appreciated!

looking forward to seeing you soon.

Toronto
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 30, 2013

We just returned from a one week stay at the Blau Costa Verde, we were there Oct 20 - 27. This was my second time to Cuba, my husbands and children’s first visit to the island.

Our flight out of Toronto via Canjet, was great. Left on time, good movie, food and service. Our return flight left a few minutes late, but again great flight, good service and food.

We arrived at the Blau approx 10:30pm, it was dark and quiet. I had previously emailed the hotel to request rooms in the new suites, specifically blocks 16 or 17, and also requested that our 3 rooms be as close together as possible. The hotel came through and we had 2 ground floor rooms in block 17 and one second floor room in block 16.

Rooms: The new rooms are well set up. The furniture and TV are all new. The mattresses and pillows were comfy, although the bedspread was very thin, light weight and reminded me of a curtain. It was not comfy. There were fleece blankets in the closet, which I was going to use, but they smelled a little funky, so I left them in the closet and made use of the curtain bedspread.
Also, to note of the new rooms, the fixtures (towel hooks and shower head) were loose. I would suggest to the hotel to have someone come in after each checkout and tighten them up. The pulls on the drawers were also loose and not straight. Its miner details, but if they are going to promote the new rooms as an upgrade, these small details should be taken care of to eliminate future concerns.

Food: the food was good. It does get a bit repetitive, however it is all tasty. I usually ate breakfast at the Buffet, lunch at the snack bar and dinner at the Buffet.
We did try the Italian for an ala carte dinner, and it was FANTASTIC! The food was plentiful, displayed beautifully and very tasty! We had the Italian in the new indoor air conditioned building, it was very nice.
Coffee at the snack bar is awesome, I had a few each day, it was so good!

Pools: we set up our towels and chairs daily at the quiet new pool. There were always loungers available. the pool was clean, well kept and fun. There is limited shade here, which I enjoyed (sun lover) but to some it might have meant moving your lounger hourly to stay under the palapa.

Beach: BEAUTIFUL! This a beautiful bay, I found the water calmer than when I stayed in Guardalavaca last trip. The snorkeling is awesome, there is a small coral reef a short bit out and you will see lots of fish. I took a banana from the buffet and was amazed at all the fish coming out for a nibble :)
There are quite a few coral and rocks to wade through before getting to the beautiful sandy bottom, if you are careful no water shoes are required. We didn't bring any and no one was cut or injured.

Entertainment: We missed the aqua show, it was Sunday night and we arrived just as it was finishing. The other shows I saw were ok. the Best one was the Acrobats and skipping. It was amazing. I didn't do any of the activities offer by the animation staff, I just didn't feel like it. I preferred to lounge on a lounger and chill out.

Service: The service at the front desk, was awesome. The service at the snack bar when they are not too busy was great. The service at the pool bar and beach bar was great. The service at the Buffet was ok. I think that there needs to be a bit more structure around the Buffet. When you walk in, you are not sure what to do, if someone will come and lead you to a table or if you are to walk around looking for a set table for your party and sit down. A little more direction here would make it a smoother event.

Management: This is where I need to say THANK YOU to Paula and all she did for us and our trip. Paula was faced with a dilemma between her staff and our family, and she sorted it out with effective management, style and professionalism. She bent over backwards, so to say and we are forever grateful to her for that. I also saw Paula dealing with another situation from a guest that was less than favorable and she again handled it with such love and professionalism. Paula you are doing great things at the Blau! Thank you.

Security: Amazing. These guys have your safety and concern at top of mind. They do not bother you, but believe me they know EXACTLY what is going on at all times, where everyone is and that everyone is safe. Thank you!!! By safe, I mean not too drunk, not in the water at night, not being sweeted up by an un-favorable guest, etc.

Trips: I am not into taking organized formal trips, I do NOT swim with dolphins or anything like that. The only trip we took was taxi into Holquin for an afternoon, where we walked the streets, visited a few old churches, Loma de la Cruz and toured around the city. I highly recommend this, it is safe, and you get a feel for what a day in the city is like :)

All in All would I return to the Blau, ABSOLUTELY. Would I return to Cuba, ABSOLUTELY.
This island has taken a piece of my heart, and I will only get it back when I return.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
28 Thank garysgurl
ManagementBlauCV, General Manager at Blau Costa Verde Beach Resort, responded to this review, November 6, 2013
Dear Guest;
Your detailed review is much appreciated. It’s a pleasure to know that your vacation with us was enjoyable and we have taken note of your suggestions.
Blocks 16 to 19 (now part of our Blau Costa Verde Plus) have become so popular since first opening in February, that there has hardly been time for maintenance works; but this has been solved now and the things you mention have been taken care of. As of the pillows, it’s almost impossible to keep the extra ones smelling fresh while locked in the closet in this tropical environment, with air humidity high all year long. But they’re clean and aired and dressed with fresh cases between guests.
Thank you for your comments concerning me; like the rest of our staff we are committed to making your vacation as hassle –and- worry free as possible.
Thank you and see you next time!

Paula Gili
Also consider these accommodations in or near Holguin
Memories Holguin Beach Resort
Memories Paraiso Beach Resort
Memories Paraiso Beach Resort
#12 of 15 in Cayo Santa Maria
3.5 of 5 bubbles 6,368 reviews

Been to Blau Costa Verde Beach Resort? Share your experiences!