“Great Stay at the Blau!”

Blau Costa Verde Beach Resort
Ranked #3 of 10 Hotels in Holguin
Winnipeg
“Great Stay at the Blau!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 7, 2013

I was at the Blau July 28 - Aug 4 on a solo trip. This was my first trip ever to Cuba and overall it was a fantastic trip. I was looking for a peaceful getaway with a nice beach and snorkelling – someplace not too large and I was hoping to do a couple of interesting excursions. This resort fit the bill perfectly!

I arrived at 23:00 and I was processed immediately for check-in. Unfortunately the start of my vacation was my only complaint of my stay: I was told to give the bell boy my luggage and instead of leading me to my room, I was given some rather hard to understand directions. It would have been nice to have been escorted or at minimum been offered a map. I thought I'd be able to find my block fairly easily as I knew that the resort wasn't that big but I got completely confused in the dark. I asked one security person with limited English to direct me and he sent me the wrong way (I think it was a communication issue). I then happened upon some tourists who luckily were in the building adjacent to me and pointed me in the right direction. Upon arrival, I was absolutely delighted; I had been assigned to a room in a new block and let me tell you, they are very nice! Fairly large with great A/C and a flat screen tv with a good selection of channels. Lots of storage and a safety deposit box for no charge. There is a hair dryer with a 220v/110v low watt plug in (no ground). The mini fridge contained 2 sodas, 2 beer and 1L of water. My luggage did not arrive until 01:30 and only after three phone calls to the front desk - I was told that the bell boy "made a mistake." My advice: insist on being escorted unless you have printed off a map from this site beforehand. I did notice a framed map next to the reception desk the next day - wish someone would have pointed that out!

That was the only hiccup; the rest of my trip was absolute bliss. This is an excellent time of year to visit; occupancy was very low and consequently there were never any line-ups for anything. I booked my a la cartes the next day with no problem. The reservation clerk is there at 09:15 and I had no issue making my bookings. Seatings start at 18:30 and the restaurants are only open select days as it is low season. The next thing I did was to exchange my CDN cash for CUCs. The cashier is open at 08:00 until I believe 20:00 daily, you must bring your passport to make a transaction. Make sure that your bills are in good condition; they will not accept any bills with tears. I advise you to load up on 1 peso coins as you will likely want to tip generously; the staff here work really hard.

I didn't make use of the pools as I'm a beach gal. It seemed way too hot to stay on the concrete deck; the beach with the ocean breeze was much cooler. Getting a shady spot on the beach is not a problem; I managed to get one even if I arrived after 12pm and no one appears to use the towel on the chair reservation system! Blau's beach isn't that large but again, not an issue during low season. The beaches are all public so locals are present but I found it rather charming to see the families enjoying themselves. Being used to Mexico, I was blown away by the fact that not one single person asked me to buy anything. A few locals would fish using nets near the rockier parts - interesting to watch. Do bring surf shoes to protect your feet from the rocks - it can be uncomfortable in bare feet. Snorkelling is amazing - lots of fish to see and you don't need to venture out very far. I would wait until about 17:00 to go for a walk along the beach, it took me about 20 min to go from Blau to the far end. Because of rocks you divert to a path through some vegetation at the end. You will exit at a cove which is used by the locals, there's usually a party going on in the evening. I found out Gaviota built a community of residences here for their employees so this is where those hotel employees and families having 20 or more years of service live. Security is everywhere so don’t be apprehensive about taking a walk – I felt perfectly safe. That being said I wouldn’t walk at night. Other notes re the beach: I found the drinks at the beach bar were the lowest quality of all the bars and it had a very limited selection. Competitions/games were also held in this area, I didn’t participate but people looked like they were having fun. I really appreciated the fact that there was no aggressive recruiting to join in. Prizes weren’t awarded but they did hand out “diplomas” before the nightly shows to people that participated.

I was a bit apprehensive about dining in Cuba as I've heard so many negatives about it but I enjoyed my meals for the most part. I thought that there was plenty of variety. I do prefer spicy and Cuban food certainly isn’t but I found it tasty and well prepared. Repetitive perhaps but with booking two a la cartes and having meals during excursions I wasn’t bored at all. The gala night on Tuesday was amazing: lots of different choices not seen any other night. As well they had a whole roast pig on Friday which was excellent. The only food I didn’t like was at the 24 hr snack bar: hot dogs, hamburgers, fries etc. They don’t do American well and you shouldn’t expect them to. I never had any stomach upsets from the food or the water. (I used tap water to brush my teeth). Service was spotty at the buffets and one thing I would advise is to stop by the bar before going and bringing your own drink or bring something from your bar fridge. Beverage service took FOREVER and there are no self-serve beverage stations. The only exception is breakfast where pitchers of juice are available. Service was excellent at the a la cartes. There was supposedly a dress code for the a la cartes but no one was following it; tank tops and shorts were fine. Perhaps only allowed because of low season?

I watched most of the nightly shows and they were quite good. The kids show started 20:30 but I didn’t watch those. The participation diplomas I mentioned earlier were awarded at 21:30 and the shows started 21:45 and lasted about an hour. Lots of traditional dancing with some great live music. I have to mention that I loved the music at this resort. It was live for the shows and guests were also serenaded at the buffet and a la cartes. Mostly Cuban music but also some classical music.

One thing I was worried about was the weather as I’d been monitoring it before I left and it seemed to rain a lot. It did rain almost every day but it was usually no more than twice a day in 10 min bursts. There were a couple of times that we got torrential downpours but the longest was 30 min. This was mostly afternoon / evening. It was very refreshing afterwards so I would welcome my rain breaks. There was a lot of thunder and lightning as well but I enjoyed it.

There was a notice in my room advising that it would be sprayed. I spent the day on the beach and never noticed any smell when I returned, I also never saw any bugs in the room. The hotel does fog as well, I saw the truck only once one evening. I never wore any insect repellent and never saw a single mosquito. There were some small biting flies on the beach if it rained; I only noticed these in the evening. I did get bitten by fire ants once but only in one particular location, I avoided that one spot and never had a problem again.

The gift shop has very reasonable prices if you don’t intend on going outside of the resort. (Note: liquor and coffee prices were the same at the airport so you may as well buy there). There are also some vendors selling handmade crafts on site every day. Some prices were marked and they were pretty inexpensive.(Again absolutely no pressure to buy). You can take a shuttle to Guardalavaca which stops in front of the lobby. It costs 5 pesos round trip and departs 09:20 and 11:20 – you’ll get back to the resort at approximately 14:00. Great excursion and there’s a decent market which has all sorts of trinkets reasonably priced. Politest vendors ever! The beach here is beautiful and you may want to make a swim day out of it. Some interesting beach bar/restaurants as well. Nice walkway with fabulous vistas that runs along the beach for a long way. Just a note: if you use the beach bathrooms you’ll need to pay the attendant a peso (bring TP as well). This is the rule of thumb for any bathrooms outside the resort including the airport.

Checkout time at this hotel is 12pm but I went to the desk on the morning of my departure and asked to extend my checkout as I was leaving at 18:30. They extended me until 15:30 for no extra charge! There is a courtesy room available for your luggage.

This was a fabulous introduction to Cuba and I’ll definitely be back. As much as I enjoyed the Blau I don’t think I’ll return as I usually take my trips during high season. As others have mentioned, it’s hard to imagine how this resort can offer acceptable customer service at full capacity now that they have undergone expansion. It will have approximately 900 rooms: the beach will be extremely crowded, there won’t be enough seating area for the shows, the restaurants and bars will be packed (other hotels this size have 5-6 a la cartes and 2 buffets). Blau will have 2 a la cartes and 2 buffets as far as I can tell – it will be a disaster. If you travel during low season though it will be great. It’s a well located hotel and there are some interesting excursions to take. Its greatest asset is the staff, they made my stay very enjoyable and tried very hard to please. Contact me if you have any questions!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
28 Thank Barbara W

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (647)
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Truro, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2013

the waitors and waitresses are very friendly and helpfull .the beach staff is great .the hotel is kept very clean and the grounds are kept very clean.service is very good.cuban hospitality is great.my wife and i have been to blau costa verda six times and we are planning to gp back in feb.2014 the new section should be completed by then. the new pool was opened in feb.2013.the new dining room is also open.the cleaning staff clean and make up the beds every day unless you dont want that service the mini bar was re- stalked every day.the breakfast was special mainely because of the young lady who has a nice personality and a nice smile -this girl makes a great start for a new day.0ur wedding anniversary is in february so we celebrate with these great people.vendors sell their wares in the lobby area a few days each week.the craftsmanship is awesome.the 24 hour bar is there for those who wish to indulge all hours of the early morning.the bar tenders are courteous and really appreciate tips -they work hard and sometimes work 12-14 hours for a very small pay .

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
11 Thank applianceguy2013
Liverpool, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 1, 2013

Stayed here from 17 - 31 July 2013. We stayed in block 18 which is a new block, the shower and air con were great, our balcony door didn't lock but security were always visible all over the resort so I felt safe enough. Fridges are restocked daily (2 beers and 2 cola). I also went to see one of the old blocks which was fine, the main difference was that the new blocks have better showers. We would have been happy staying in either.

The beach was great - white sands, crystal clear water and a bar. I strongly recommend taking a pair of water shoes as it is quite rocky but the snorklling was great (free snorkelling equipment to borrow at the beach bar). There were also free peddle boats and catamarans to use.

I thought the service was good. Some waitresses were excellent whereas others were slow and you could be waiting a while to get served despite the hotel only being about 30% full - I'm just glad the hotel wasn't busy because I can't see how it would have coped. Nevertheless, we were always greeted with a smile and the staff were all very friendly.

The animation team and entertainment was really good (especially Johan) - the best we have experienced.

There are a variety of excursions to choose from. We booked the dolphin trip with our rep, Daniel (who was lovely), and it is honestly the best money I've ever spent. Loved every minute of it!

There is a shop in the lobby which is not overpriced in my opinion. There were also stalls in the hotel where you could buy gifts (keyrings, bracelets, paintings, clothes etc). The people were not pushy whatsoever which was refreshing.

There were two main bars, one of which was open 24/7 where you could order food at any time. They are cosy bars where you can relax after a hard day of sunbathing! There is also a disco held between 11pm-2am which is quite small but has relatively good music.

The food was up to a really good standard. I don't understand how people can call it repetitive to be honest, there was alot of variety. For example there was an Italian restaurant (which served delicious pizza), a Cuban restaurant, the 24/7 bar where you could order things like fries, burgers, hot dogs, cheese, tuna, bacon, egg and ham sandwiches, the main buffet where you can get fresh pasta made, fresh meat cooked infront of you and a selection of food to help yourself to. The only problem I had with the main restaurant was the location of it because it was out in the open where flies could roam freely and also I felt I had to go extra early so I could get there before it got too busy. But at the end of the day you're on holiday so can't really complain. The food and beverage manager was also very helpful and it was evident he did a good job!

Before visiting this hotel I was expecting it to be a construction site after reading some of the reviews but I didn't see or hear anything. The crabs are more afraid of you than you are of them - we only really saw them when it rained (two nights and 1 day) because the holes they live in are filled with water, so if this is something you know you're gonna complain about I suggest you travel somewhere other than Cuba because there isn't really anything that can be done about them as they are merely living in their natural environment. Same goes for mosquitoes, so take some repellent cream and deal with it (to put it bluntly!!)

The weather was great! We almost didn't book as we were concerned about it being July and the rain etc, but we only had bad weather for one day out of two weeks, so we were really pleased.

Overall this hotel was great and we are both really glad we chose to go here. Would we recommend this to friends? Definitely!

Room Tip: New blocks are numbers 16,17,18,19
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
11 Thank GeoandLaura
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 31, 2013

Visited this resort 3-17 July with two teenagers. We had a really good time. We were in the new rooms, block 18. The rooms were large, well furnished, clean and the beds were very comfortable. It was close to the new pool, buffet restaurant and beach and was very quiet at night.
The staff really make this resort. They are friendly and helpful. The only grumpy one was based in the watersports bit on the beach, perhaps he was having a bad day! The maids left towel art virtually everyday which was lovely to see. The mini fridge was filled everyday with water, beer and either orange or coke.

There was always something my fussy children could eat in the buffet in the evening with various meats fish and pasta being cooked to demand. The pizza in the italian was excellent at lunchtimes and we enjoyed the meals in the cuban restaurant. A special mention must go to the 'omelette lady' who was always smiling and friendly and made fresh omelettes or fried eggs to taste.

We celebrated our wedding anniversary during the holiday and had a fantastic meal in the gazebo at the edge of the sea. Excellent value for money.

Room Tip: Ask for new room overlooking new pool - 16,17 or 18
10 Thank NIge234
Bristol
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2013

We stayed at Blau Costa Verde between 11-25 July 2013 and had one of the best holidays that we have ever had.

The hotel itself was lovely, we stayed in the new accommodation block, it was clean and tidy, the food was very good in all restaurants, the staff were very helpful and friendly and could not do enough for you. The facilities of the large pool, its swin up bar and proximity to the beach was also ideal.

The sea was crystal clear and the sand pure white and with free snorkelling, kyacs, pedaloes and catcmaran trips, there was plenty for all to do.

We hired a taxi and guide for a day and went to Holguin and saw the tourist sites and the not so tourist areas, which gave a true taste of Cuba.

We will definately be repeating the holiday, if not next year then the following year.

Room Tip: Suggest the new accommodation blocks as built and maintained to a higher standard with extras such a...
9 Thank SharonPBristol
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2013

My 29 year old daughter have just returned from this hotel

We are both well travelled and stayed in the 6star Versace Hotel in Australia at the end of last year so were rather apprehensive about staying in this hotel after reading some of the reviews.

Please remember that Cuba is still a relatively poor country so I have to admit I was pleasantly surprised by this hotel.

There was always plenty of food in the buffet to choose from but, this may not be the hotel for you if you are a Brit looking for burgers and chips!!

Beautiful white sandy beach. Take or hire a snorkel. Feed the numerous fish with a banana from the buffet. No need to go on a snorkelling trip there are so many fish to be seen a few feet away from the beach.

We stayed in one of the news rooms. A few teething problems with the air con and make sure your balcony door locks properly. Ours didn't in the first room but room no. 3 was fine.

Huge new pool with hardly anyone in it most of the time probably because it was their low season.

Weather was very, very hot and humid with hardly any rain. New buffet restaurant in the open which meant lovely views of the beach but, stifling hot at times even at 9 in the evening.

Because we had been to Cuba before and we were only there for a week we only did one excursion. Horse riding, speed boat and a visit to someone's home in the countryside. This was a very humbling experience. Makes you realise just how spoilt we really are with all of our luxuries, gadgets etc,

This is probably only a 3 star hotel but, for the money I paid I had an amazing time. As I said before maybe not for everyone. If you want Carlsberg, burgers and chips for every meal this place probably isn't for you. Stick to Benidorm or Magalluf !!

Room Tip: New blocks are rather a walk to the main part of the hotel but, near the new pool. Make sure your ba...
9 Thank Lesleyl54
canada- ontario
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 23, 2013

This is my third trip to cuba. I've stayed at Blau in Cayo Coco and this is my second time to the Blau. I loved our stay and had a fantastic time but there was some issues I had with this resort.
We booked our trip through Nolitours who were excellent and extremely helpful during the stay.

I've broken down everything and at the end have considerations for future travellers. I would not stay at this hotel in the future based on those concerns. As well as the service and food being very disappointing compared to previous times I've been to this resort and compared to other resorts.
They say this resort is a 4 star and from my previous stay I thought that was modest, BUT after this stay I would say its more of a 3- 3.5 star hotel in need of a lot of work.

Reception: Good but not great. Did seem a bit slow though very helpful.

Rooms: Loved our block section which was in the newer buildings, block 17. It's very nice, clean and just steps away from the new pool, the buffet, and the beach

Maid service/Room service: We often never had our fridge refilled with beverages and our welcome bottle of rum came halfway through our trip. The maids did a good job cleaning but you need to put your towels in the tub/shower for them to be changed and pull the sheets completely off the bed to be changed as well (get rid of sand)

Beach: Lovely, small, beach but that depends what you like for a beach. It's rockyish , so I'd recommend bringing water shoes but it's really great for snorkeling. Tons of fish and corals Loved it.

Buffet Food: It was a rough week but you will something to eat. The food was hit and miss with little to no variety in the week. breakfast, lunch, and dinner was the same. There was a Gala dinner which was by far the best food offered the entire stay with a great selection but it was one night. I kinda believe they get a shipment once a week (day of being the gala dinner) and then as your week progresses the food selection and quality gets worse and worse- and it was never even good in the first place. Mangos are in season and so yummy. By the last two days it was a struggle to eat anything we could stomach.
There is a very great omlette station at breaky, grill at lunch and dinner, and a make your own pasta. They were fantastic, fresh, and very good.

Buffet Service Waitstaff: There is a huge difference between the breakfast staff/lunch and dinner staff. The breakfast and lunch service was horrendous. Usually never got waited on for drinks till we were about the leave and it took a very long time to collect dirty plates. Dinner was much better, different staff.
Buffet Service Cooks (Grill, Omelette, Pasta): These stations are well run albeit a bit slow when it gets busy. The staff are very friendly though that work these stations.

Snack bar: small selection but good, though a bit slow at times.

Al le cartes: They're good. I greatly enjoyed the meals, atmosphere, and service at the italian and cuban resturants.

Bars: Beach- good but has a very small selection of drinks.
Pool: New pool is good but again small selection of drinks. OLD pool: terrible service and sometimes no one is there to serve you.
Other bars (lounge, snack bar): Are hit and miss. One day you'll get a great bartender with a assortment of drinks. Other days they run out of mint, or pina colada mix and have slow service.

Entertainment: I loved the nightly shows they were well preformed and highly entertaining. There was a bit of stuff during the day to participate but it was the same thing ever day.

Overall impression: The resort is lovely but with the additions it comes off as two separate resorts. It is quite large with a bit of walking to get around. The resort is beautiful as it the location with lots of nature (Crabs!) Mostly couples and families at the resort.

CONSIDERATIONS FOR FUTURE TRAVELLERS:
We went during a slow time, the resort had to be only about 30 % and I kept thinking there is no way the beach, pool, buffet, or service will be able to handle the busy season.
The beach is busy right now and small, no way can it handle the busy season without being overcrowded and some not getting umbrellas. Same can be said for the new pool. Additionally if it was busy I think service would suffer all around the resort just because they can barely deal with the small amount of people that were there the week I went. I don't think this will be solved with additional staff but rather training current staff how to handle a influx of traffic.

Room Tip: The blocks 16 and 17 are close to the buffet, right outside the new pool, and close to the beach. Ne...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
6 Thank bre32
ManagementBlauCV, General Manager at Blau Costa Verde Beach Resort, responded to this review, September 5, 2013
Dear Guest,
thank you for taking the time to share your experience.
We can see that you enjoyed your stay which is great satisfaction to us, even though we agree that there are things to polish and we will keep working to improve our services.

Please if you ever decide to come back let us know.
best regards

Paula Gili. General Manager
dir.general@blau-cv.co.cu
Also consider these accommodations in or near Holguin
Memories Holguin Beach Resort
Memories Paraiso Beach Resort
Memories Paraiso Beach Resort
#12 of 15 in Cayo Santa Maria
3.5 of 5 bubbles 6,368 reviews

Been to Blau Costa Verde Beach Resort? Share your experiences!