“Good Trip”

Ranked #3 of 10 Hotels in Holguin
Fredericton, Canada
“Good Trip”
Reviewed May 6, 2013

Stayed from April 27th to May 4th, with a friend. Arrived late at night, hot, tired and wanting to sleep. We were taken to our room, 1st floor, block 6, not good. Back to the front desk to be switched, there were a few issues with the first room, (smelled awful, 3 beds, not cleaned well,) was given a second room on the 3rd floor, this room was great, very clean and smelled wonderful, thank you to the front desk staff! Grounds were always neat and tidy, pools were great, drinks wonderful, food was ok, the pizza at the Italian for lunch was outstanding!!! Catamaran Cruise (no dolphins) is an absolute MUST, only $79! Booked a taxi and spent a day in Holguin City, you should go if you get the chance, amazing (but very hot!). Generally this resort was good value for the money spent, staff was friendly enough, a few could have been better however. Now the Bad news: There was a group of younger adults(I use the term "adults" loosely) from PEI, never have I been so embarrassed to be associated with the Atlantic Provinces until now, this group were absolutely atrocious, disrespectful of the staff, other guests and just generally disrupted the entire resort. Heard a lot of complaints and disgust from many new and returning guests, many of whom say they will not return, hopefully they realize that not ALL people from the Atlantic Provinces act this way, and they will return to the Blau again. As for me I will most likely not return, try somewhere new next time. Met some really great new friends Britt, Heather, Jess & Tom, hopefully someday we will get to meet up again! Cheers

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
5 Thank Crystal N

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (653)
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Palmerston, Canada
Reviewed May 4, 2013

Our family was at the Blau from April 14 to 21st. This was our first time ever travelling to south to an all inclusive and we were not disappointed. We were travelling with our daughters who are 11yrs and 14yrs.

Our room was in the old section on the second floor. Everyone was comfortable and while the room was older, it was clean and comfortable. The beds were hard as we heard beds in Cuba are, but it was great for my back and we all slept well after long days in the sunshine. There was no noise at night though we were close to the entertainment area and 24 hours bar/snack bar.
We did have face cloths with us as we heard they do not have but aside from that we had everything we needed in our room daily and our youngest was entertained by the daily bedding decoration from the housekeeper. We took small gifts with us to leave out each day for our housekeeper such as handsoaps, nail polish etc and she was wrote us a lovely letter with a photo of her children. A little effort to interact and be friendly goes a long way with the staff as they remember you!

We were nervous about the food as we are not usually very experimental with meals but nobody went hungry during our stay and we enjoyed all meals very much. We did book our a la cartes first thing on our first day there (highly advise to do this to avoid missing out) and we were impressed with each one. While the buffet did have some repeat things it was no different then going to a restaurant in Ontario with a daily buffet and repeating the options available. With all of the places to eat there was no reason to complain about repeat food. The pizza was excellent but would advise to order two at a time as the Italian restaurant was somewhat slower at lunchtime... remember you are on vacation and time is not important. Enjoy the relaxation, order an extra drink and enjoy your meal. The staff are doing their best and appreciate the patience of everyone.

We took one excursion during our visit and it was worth every penny. Swimming with the dolphins was an experience we will never forget. The water was rough heading to our destination and our youngest did get sea sick. If you have a sensitive stomach you may want a gravol before leaving the dock and take some bread or crackers. The staff were entertaining and friendly with everyone during the trip and very helpful when our youngest was sick. Note that sitting at the back of the catamaran is best if you have a weak stomach. The food on the trip was fabulous and the opportunities to interact with the dolphins were something to never be forgotten. While there is a professional photographer who sells photos, he was more then willing to take photos on our personal camera for us.

The bars were all great. Taking the time to get to know the wait staff means a lot to them as well as to the service that you receive. Just a few days in and the bar tender knew exactly what drinks both myself and my daughter liked (they have great slush drinks for the kids!!) They were friendly and we gave small gifts to all that we had spent time with through the week prior to our departure.

The beach was good. We did have to find chairs bright and early in the morning to get shade. The snorkelling was AMAZING. We brought our own things including water shoes which you definitely needed. When it was windier the water seemed a little more murky and it was more difficult to see but bring some bread or banana from the buffet and you will attract an awesome array of colourful fish easily.

We preferred the pools but again had to set out towels early to get seats with shade. The new pool was huge and definitely quieter but it was also more open to the sun and wind so things like water floaties took off very easily. The older pool was great for the kids and to be near the entertainment. There were many options of activities each day both around the pool and on the beach and the entertainment staff was great. Their enthusiasm and friendliness was impressive when one considers the hours that they would put in each day. The towels provided by the resort were good but they sure held the water so you will likely want to trade in daily for new ones at the beach.

Night entertainment was great. There was something for everyone from opera singers, fashion shows and kids entertainment to comedy skits, water shows and hip hop dancers. The kids all loved their portion of the evening prior to the adults. Our family quickly developed a routine of showering each afternoon prior to dinner and having a quick rest time to catch second wind before the evening show began.

while we had read to take things such as butter and ketchup there was plenty of this available. Having some munchies such as Pringles was something we were greatful for and we ended up leaving behind any uneaten treats (choc bars and gum, nuts etc) for the staff we got to know over the week. As well we left behind our extra shampoos and body washes etc.

Travelling with Nolitours we received guidance at every step of the week that we needed it for. From the moment we came through the airport in Cuba to the moment we walked back into the airport at the end of the week they were available and supportive as needed.

The resort was small and felt very comfortable. For the most part fellow guests were friendly. We did encounter people who seemed to think that all revolved around them while they were there and they could be quite rude and ignorant with staff and other guests however we met many new friends and connections from home (even met a couple that lived within ten minutes of us in our small rural community!) and look forward to seeing these people again someday.
Arriving in the dark and being in Cuba for the first time we were intitially nervous about letting our daughters too far from us but when we saw the resort the following morning in the day light we were very comfortable letting them roam and explore together within the property.

It was most definitely the trip of a lifetime although hopefully we will get to make a repeat trip someday again.... the resort is expanding and it will be interesting to see how they work through their growing pains but for this year and this family it was fantastic and we highly recomend

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
7 Thank Alyssa K
toronto
Reviewed May 2, 2013

I travelled to Cuba many times, this however was my first time at the blau costa verde…

We went for my mom’s 60th birthday 8 of us (women) ranging from the age of 15 to 75.

Rooms:
Well the rooms were very standard for all inclusive, very clean, and well maintained, the bathrooms were spacious and well light. Hot water was sparse but never cold, but then again, never hot either, however it did the job .. Fore those who like to use washcloths, Cuba doesn’t have any, so make sure you bring your own, otherwise you’ll be stuck using a sock like we had to.. lol

The beds were hard, but we were pretty tired at night so falling asleep was never an issue.

Pool:
to be honest we visited the pool once and from what we saw it seamed ok. The new pool was just finished when before we left, and that looked amassing and spacious!!

Beach:
The beach is probably not the best beach I’ve been too, but I’m a beach girl so we spent most of our time there... There are A LOT of rocks and corals, which make it great for snorkeling, (get some bread from breakfast and the fish will come to you) but a few of us ended up with busted knees and toes from all the rocks.. On the plus side it’s a nice beach to walk… you can walk from one side of the beach to the other and that was really really nice.

Food:
Well it’s Cuba, very bland and pretty much the same thing every day, repeating itself at lunch and dinner, lacking in variety and fish, I figured being so close to the ocean there would be much more fish.. We did not have a chance to try the a la cart, because they were fully booked for the week..

Entertainment:
There really wasn’t any.. perhaps because we didn’t spend much time at the pool, however there really wasn’t much activities to do.. I only saw a few entertainment staff and they were constantly busy running from one activity to the other seemed to me, Perhaps the hotel was understaffed, which is why I’m assuming the lack of entertainment.
Night entertainment was silly and boring..

Disco:
I was shocked seeing that we went for march break it was dead, at most there was 5 people at a time, again probably because of the lack of staff, entertainment never really promoted it or attended the disco.

Attractions:
We took a day trip on the catamaran, snorkeling the coral reefs and swimming with the dolphins, lunch and drinks were included.. It was well priced for what we got..
To be quite honest with you this was the best excursion I ever did.. The staff on the catamaran really made an effort to make sure we were all having a good time. The snorkeling was awesome and the guide took the time to grace various sea urchins and let us all have a look and hold them.. the dolphins were amazing and it was the most interactive place I’ve ever been, they really let us hang out with the dolphins we got to pet them, kiss them, feed them, and they didn’t really press us for time.. I would totally do this trip again in a heart beat.

Internet:
DON’T BOTHER!! It takes forever to connect and by that time your time is done!!

The above may sound negative, however I feel it’s important to point out these things so that you know what you are getting. All in all we had an awesome time and made the best of our trip, I may not revisit this hotel anytime in the near future however I would love to maybe check out another resort in Holguin.. i returned home rested and relaxed just what i needed!!!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank dthalia
Reviewed May 2, 2013 via mobile

This was my first time down south and it was so amazing there isn't anything bad to say about the resort. I'm really picky with food and always had something I could eat, I also brought ketchup with me because I knew theirs would be different! Beach was beautiful and drinks were good.

• Stayed April 2013
3 Thank tantallonNStvn
Halifax, Canada
Reviewed April 30, 2013

I just returned home from a relaxing week at the Blau. I traveled with 5 friends at the end of April and we had a great time. We traveled with Air Canada vacations and had no problems with flights or the bus to and from the Holguin airport.

Rooms - our room was in Block 28. It's one of the new buildings so we were some of the first guests to stay in it. The room was a good size with a king sized bed; even though we expected two doubles, we didn't worry since it was so huge. The bathroom was great - including a (really hot) hair dryer and a 110V plug for shavers. You'll need a converter for any other voltage since the rest of the plugs are 220V. Our room backed on to the construction, so the view wasn't great, but this wasn't an issue since I tend to only spend time in my room to sleep. I believe Block 27 opened while we were staying, and another building was about to open. We could see even more buildings (rooms and facilities) at the back of the resort underway. Construction noise was minimal and the most annoying sound was some of the workers whistling to try and get drinks while you walked by. The new area is going to be beautiful once all the plants grow up a bit. Many new trees and shrubs were planted during our stay, especially around the new pool.

Food/Drinks - the main buffet had lots to choose from so nobody should go hungry. I tend to stick to standard eggs/cereal/fruit in the mornings and my friends loved the omelette station. The lunch buffet by the beach was smaller but we loved it since it had a good variety and was less busy than the main buffet. We also ate at the Italian restaurant for lunch a few times since the pizza and pasta was so good; it's not a buffet style to be prepared to wait for your food. We did all three a-la-cartes and had no complaints. The drinks are pretty standard mixes and there are lots of bars to choose from so you won't go thirsty. It was really nice to have a swim-up bar in both pools so we chose to swim at the new pool where there were fewer children and less noise. The disco was awesome--they played a variety of music and there is a seating area. Maybe they can coat the floor with something to make it less slippery when people spill their drinks, or maybe I just need to be more careful!!!

Staff - the staff were great. My favourite crew was the lobby bar staff--Rosa, Adan, and Relmis, in particular (they are so much fun!!). Since we stayed on the beach and at the new pool, I don't know what the daily animation team is like but they put on good nightly shows. I had a slight problem when checking out, and I remembered seeing this mentioned in another review: I brought my own towel so I refused the towel ticket on check in; when we were leaving, I was told that my room was missing one towel; I was adamant that I had not taken one and after a long discussion, the reception attendant said he would check with the towel stand, and he eventually confirmed (or maybe he just gave up?) that my room did not check out two towels. I don't know how to avoid this without just accepting two towels and making sure you bring them both back. It was quite off-putting to hear I owed for a towel when I had never accepted one to begin with.

Beach/pools - the pools are great. Both are big and have pool bars as well as a kids area. We definitely preferred the new pool but it was a little lacking in shade. There are all kinds of palms that were planted during our stay so it will be more shady once these grow up a bit. The beach is lovely, although it's a bit difficult to get a hut unless you go really early in the morning. Some spots clear up around lunch time and there's lots of space in the afternoon. Make sure you bring snorkeling equipment or borrow some from the resort because there are all kinds of fish swimming in the coral!! The water was great and the rocks can be avoided by lifting your feet; plus, they only go out about 20-30 feet and then it's smooth sand under foot. You can also walk the whole way down the beach past the Playa Costa Verde and the Playa Pesquero.

Overall - the Blau Costa Verde is a great spot to visit for a good deal. The new construction will provide more new rooms but the beach will probably get a bit more crowded, so it won't necessarily be the most peaceful beach visit. I'd recommend it to anyone looking for a fun vacation for a good price.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank miss_celo
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed April 30, 2013

In January 2013 we spent our second vacation here. All positive: good-size clean rooms (if you want to avoid the sounds of the late-night revellers don't choose ocean-view rooms around the swimming pool, we did and they moved us to another room immediately); particularly good food - the best we've had in our 16 trips to Cuba over the years; nice people; well-kept grounds. The beach is beautiful but maybe a little small for the number of guests so you have to be there early to get a front-view beach chair, or wait till the early birds go to lunch then pounce :). One great advantage of this location is that it is on a small bay which protects from the strong winds that you usually get in the Cayo Coco or Isla Santa Maria areas.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Liviana B
Berwick, Canada
Reviewed April 28, 2013

My first trip to Cuba, for much needed, r+r, none of my friends were able to go, so went alone, and thoroughly enjoyed my stay there. Flew Airtransat, and Nolitours, highly recommend both, great value for your money, and their employees made it all as nice as could be. My room was clean and comfortable,the beach is fantastic, the weather superb, really enjoyed the food and coffee.. What`s not to love ? Saving to go back... Oh, and the excursions were very memorable, and affordable. ..

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
5 Thank maureen094
Also consider these accommodations in or near Holguin
Memories Holguin Beach Resort
Memories Paraiso Beach Resort
Memories Paraiso Beach Resort
#12 of 15 in Cayo Santa Maria
3.5 of 5 bubbles 6,408 reviews

Been to Blau Costa Verde Beach Resort? Share your experiences!