“Best Holiday Ever!!!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #3 of 10 Hotels in Holguin
Montreal
“Best Holiday Ever!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 12, 2012

I just returned yesterday from the best holiday ever! If you are looking for a family resort and entertainment, this is the place to be! They have so many games for kids and the animation staff are GREAT! The hotel is getting old and does need some renovations but other than that, everything was wonderful. I was also surprised by the food as I have been to Cuba a few times and was never satisfied with the food. You will always find something good to eat weather for breakfast, lunch, or dinner.

The beach was gorgeous but does have a lot of reefs at the start. There was also two beach parties during my stay there from February 4th to February 10th and the daily games were fun to participate in.

I have nothing negative to say. If you are a family with children, you will love this resort. It is safe, fun, and the grounds are gorgeous.

The weather was also amazing and I can`t thank the animation staff enough, especially Anger, Leon, and Dariel who made it fun and memorable.

Will Definitely return...

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
14 Thank Annie K

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (635)
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
London, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 7, 2012

This was my first trip to Cuba and I will start off by saying that outside of a few minor issues BCV is a good resort with value that's top notch.

Good:
The beach is absolutely gorgeous and probably the biggest selling point of the resort. The crystal blue water was awesome and the included activities such as the catamaran tour and snorkeling ensured we were given every opportunity to enjoy it. There is a coral reef basically right on the beach which makes for great snorkeling.

Speaking of activities, the resort is full of things to do and the "Animacion Team" does an excellent job of keeping everyone entertained. From shooting/archery to water polo/beach volleyball tournaments means there will be something for everyone. They present nightly awards to those who win the various competitions during the day, it actually became a competition between my group of friends who went to see who could win the most.

The nightly entertainment was also pretty good. The aquatic show in particular was just wow and something I would expect to see in Vegas not Holguin. Overall, two big very thumbs up to the entertainment team at BCV.

In fact, the entire staff at the resort was quite friendly. The front desk was the speediest I had ever seen in checking an entire new bus load of arrivals at an all-inclusive resort. While I cant say the rest of the service was as speedy (the service speed in the restaurants is unbearable at times) they were always friendly.

Bad:
Overall I didn't have any major issues but I did have a few minor gripes

The hotel is in need of upgrades as its showing its age, and apparently the hotel is closing in May to undergo major renovations. They are already working on an entire new section of the hotel. Which leads me to another issue I had, the noise of the construction. Its quite close to the beach and can be annoying during the day if you don't move down the beach a bit. The hotel staff try to drown it out with music but it can be noticeable at times. They could also do with putting some bathrooms on the beach, as its a bit of a walk to the nearest one at the beach restaurant.

The food is not the best, but as this is the general norm of food in Cuba we sort of expected this going in. Advice: don't get anything at the buffet that has been sitting there, stick to any of the made to order items at the buffet grill, pasta bar or crepe station. The a la carte's were not particularly good. The Italian in particular was a big let down for me.

My room didn't have any particular issues, aside from being a little dated. However, a few of us had rooms with hot water that didn't work, blown fuses leading to no power and broken toilets so it seemed I lucked out on this front.

The beds are pretty firm, but I typically like beds that are firm so it wasn't really an issue for me. A couple of us in our group had problems sleeping in them though.

Distance from the airport is quite far, as its about a 90 minute bus trip each way to get back to Holguin. This was a little problematic as we wanted to go into town but the trip length discouraged us from spending an entire day to do so. Instead we went into the nearby Guadjalavarca which is basically a glorified market with a beach. That being said it was pretty cool to ride in a 1950s Ford converted into a taxi.

The process to exchange money also sucks. There is no place to do so upon arrival to the airport and the ladies who do it at the hotel are slow and unfriendly. They also insist on giving you the largest and most impractical denominations possible. The also take scheduled breaks on the dot with no regard for how many people are waiting for service, which leaves you frustrated and forces you to come back later.

While it seems I have a bunch of complaints, like I said earlier everything was minor.

Ugly:
The only major issue our group had was one of the couples on our trip had requested a king sized bed in their room, which they were told they would receive upon booking. Upon check in the front desk gave them two double beds and seemed unwilling to do anything to try and rectify the situation.This was really the only major problem any of us had with what was generally very good service.

Overall, I would recommend the resort to anyone looking to get off the beaten path of Varadero. The resort will only be better once all the additions and reno's are complete.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
9 Thank RJB88
Brandon, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 6, 2012

First visit to Holguin itself. The hotel was fine, just dated. The food was typical of Cuban or Mexican hotels. The beds were as reported (hard). We did receive quite a few bites during our stay, but do not really know what the cause was. The staff were great! Enjoyed the beach activities and sports staff. The evening shows were much better than average.

Room Tip: Building One is furthest from the Construction.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank JandDWatt
Winnipeg, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 3, 2012

Our trip was amazing! One recommendation I have, is to rent a scooter. The hotel provides this service, and it is reasonably priced. Get out and meet the locals! There is nothing like it!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
7 Thank AnnamariaMark
burlington
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 2, 2012

I usually travel with my kids (8 & 5), but this time we were a group of 9. Of the 9, I was the only with bites. Always travel with antihistaime and anti-itch cream, with first aid kit, never had a problem. The bites were from the beach and mosquitos in the room. This is Cuba, service is outstanding, rooms are dated (but who stays in your room), food and drinks great, beach is good. Yes there is construction and tour operators should advise you. We will be back for another visit. We visited from December 31 to January 12.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
6 Thank BurlingtonMomo
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 2, 2012

Let me start off By saying I'm not one to judge or complain about every little thing wrong with a place. But this resort and service by management is disgusting. I am 24 and I went with my boyfriend Jan 5-12th. The second night I got a fee bites which started pussing, we asked the Lobby for bandages and gauze, they had nothing! We went to the medical centre they wouldn't give us bandages unless they were to put them on you for them to charge you 10 pesos( rediculous) every night I would get more and more and I wore pants and bugspray every night. Until one night I felt my body burning waited until the morning and went to the medical center to get a needle anti histamine shot which numbs your back and rear and causes drowsiness, with another medical bill to follow. We showed people at the resort of our disgustingly infected bites and they suggested looking in our sheets because no one else had bites like both of ours. We checked our newly made bed with lamps and found over 20 DEAD bugs in our bed!! And I know for a fact our sheets had not been changed all week because my mascara which I forgot to take off the first night was still on my sheets. We had been sleeping with bugs all week!! When we told the Lobby about it they sent two maids to verify, which they did see the dead insects on our bed and behind the head of the mattress. They NEVER offered to change our room, only to change our sheets, how disgusting, we were rushed to another hotel with a 24 doctor which then treated us to more needles, and calamine lotion. Keeping in mind that when your on medication you cannot drink and when you have severe infected bites you cannot tan or be out in the sun because it literally burns your skin, so we were ordered to only take cold showers and sleep with a wet towel on your body and pour rum on your body when it burned. When we told management of what happened they offered us a lobster lunch and late check out!!! THATS IT!! What a joke of a hotel! Also for the people that have paid for an ocean view, you don't get it, because there is construction beside the resort that starts very early in the morning and ends at like 10 o clock at night, so instead they give you a free lobster dinner instead. There was also plastic in our calamari at the Cuban restaurant and in our room when unplugging a lamp the entire outlet came out of the wall which electrocuted my boyfriend.
The food was great and the lady from nolitours in the resort and the lady from public relations were very sweet but overall the manager and management are ridiculous

Here is a link of my story on city tv http://www.citytv.com/toronto/citynews/video/184378 I am also posting up the letters from both air transat and the the Blau .

Piece of advice, always bring a first aid kit,and your own sheets!! I would never go back, not even if someone paid me to go!

• Stayed January 2012
23 Thank Sashacarolyne
Port Colborne, Ontario, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 2, 2012

- We were in Rm 1322 and loved it, but there were some things that you need to be aware of. First, block one is the quietest - away from the bars/pool and construction. It had a fantastic view of the ocean, and was close to the beach, tennis courts, health centre and kids club. The downside (and my husband felt it was more of an issue than I did) was that it was quite a hike to the restaurants and bars. Again, I didn't really care - we're on vacation, I'm in no hurry - but he liked to run back down for a drink or a bite to eat after we were in for the night, and found it a bit of a walk. But other than that....

- We did not like the beach grill. Neither of us cared for our lunch the day we had it, didn't like the set up or the service. (We had the grilled fish). Didn't return - not happy at all.

- We LOVED the Italian restaurant for lunch - as did everyone. The pizza and the calzones were to die for. That seemed to be the consensus both on Trip Advisor, and at the resort.

- Either exchange all of your $ to CCU at the beginning of your trip and leave it in your safe, or convert early in the AM (it opens at 7:30am) - because the line up will be long the rest of the day, and the line moves sloooooow.

- Bring your own washcloths for the hotel room. The supply towels, but no washcloths.

- A few of us found that our hairdryers had too high a voltage, and they started to spark and smoke when we plugged them in, lol. But the hairdryer in the room was fantastic, so I didn't miss my salon-bought one at all. (Straightening iron worked fine)

- Tennis court is fun - no reservations needed, just go and get equipment at health centre. There are 4 courts - one on each side of resort.

- Make your a la carte reservations as soon as you arrive - they book up crazy fast.

- We liked the Cuban restaurant far better than the Italian, but even then - the Cuban restaurant was amazing one night (I had the pork, hubby had stuffed squid and 5yr old daughter had chicken), and just ok the 2nd time (I had the fish, hubby had the steak - said it was pretty bad, and daughter had the pork).

- only place for breakfast is the buffet - doesn't open until 7:30am. If you're doing an early morning excursion, either get some pizza from the italian restaurant the day before at lunch and put in baggies in your room fridge, or hit the buffet first thing and fill some baggies with toast, bacon, fruit, etc to take with you.

- If you want an outside table at the buffet for dinner, get there either when it opens at 6:30pm, or wait until after 7pm - there won't be anything available inbetween.

- Kids program is great - Sunay is the head of it, and she'll run it even if there's only one kid (my 5yr old was the only kid once, and still had a great time). It runs from 10am-12noon, and then 3pm-5pm. There's also a kid's program outside on the stage before the main entertainment, every evening at 8:30pm. Pirate night was the Saturday at 8:15pm at the stage - double check with Sunay. Daughter had a great time. If they do the face painting, make sure you have good makeup remover with you.

- If you want to eat together on buffet times, plan accordingly - because the line for the grilled food/omelets/pasta is always quite long. But worth it, haha.

- You can only change beach towels at the beach.

- We did 2 excursions through Sunwing- Sun Cruise Catamaran - TOTALLY worth it, daughter swam with the dolphins, lunch was great - definitely a highlight for all of us. We also did the Jeep Adventure Tour, and hubby and I loved it - and daughter loved all of it except the Jeep part, haha. Found it a bit bumpy. It's not the she didn't like it....she just didn't love it. but she loved the jetboating and the horseback riding.

- We also did some snorkeling - amazing, right at the beach - by both wading out, and using the paddleboats. All free, all fantastic.

Overall, great value for your dollar - had a great time!

Room Tip: Block 1 closest to beach, quietest.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
10 Thank ABoitor
Also consider these accommodations in or near Holguin
Ocean Casa del Mar
Sol Rio de Luna y Mares
Sol Rio de Luna y Mares
#1 of 3 in Guardalavaca
4.0 of 5 bubbles 5,491 reviews

Been to Blau Costa Verde Beach Resort? Share your experiences!