We have been to Cuba 8x and this was the best trip ever! We have been wanting to go to the Rio de Oro for many years and it just never worked out. We finally got there in October for our Anniversary and everything was just perfect. I read many reviews about this resort and the reviews were always very positive. Where to start...when you arrive at the hotel you don't even have to check yourself in - Leonardo took care of registering us, gave us ice cold champange and a cool towel. We were taken to our room which was on the 2nd floor with an incredible mountain view. The beach is just beautiful, clean, spacious with lots of shade and chairs (we never had to race down in the morning to try to get a spot). My husband is a huge fan of snorkeling and he said this is by far one of the best spots for this; he was in the water at least twice per day and we swam probably 6x per day. The restaurant at the beach where we had lunch everyday was great, good, friendly service, delicious food, lots of variety. We were invited to a special dinner the first night there and it was something else. Linen tablecloths, candles, five-course meal, champagne flowing, wonderful service - there were perhaps 10 tables and it was very romantic and special. We received a fruit basket and rum the next day in our room; champange and a card delivered to our room on the day of our anniversary, we were invited to the Royal Service restaurant on our anniversary and at the end of the meal - the staff brought out a beautiful cake with 'Happy Anniversary' written on it! I
The a la carte restaurants were all fantastic, beautifully decorated, impeccable service, wonderful food! I would say the Mediterranean was the best; El Patio (still good) but not as good as the others. The buffet was the best I have ever been to - clean, bright, a wonderful assortment of delicious food. What my husband and I can't figure out is HOW the Rio de Oro can serve food that is so much better than all the other resorts we have been to in Cuba?? Do they not all have the same access to the same food?? Guess not! Because I am telling you; we are from Montreal and we have superb restaurants and we ate very very well at the Rio de Oro. We had dessert twice a day!!
We had a problem with our air conditioner and the management immediately saw to the issue; unfortunately it was not resolved but I can tell you they were on top of it. We were moved to a gorgeous room on the ocean for our last two days.
In many of the reviews we read before our trip one thing that was mentioned often was the professionalism of the staff at this hotel. SO TRUE everyone desk staff, room staff, gardeners, wait staff, entertainment staff were so professional and seemed to genuinely care.
Our week flew too fast and we will return again next October. We have recommeded this hotel to everyone we speak to. I would like to thank ALL staff and management at the Rio de Oro and look forward to returning next year. Thank you for a most wonderful trip!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located in the Bahia de Naranjo Natural Park, in Playa Esmeralda, on the northern coast of Holguin province. Five-Star Ultra All Inclusive Eco-Resort with 354 rooms. Conceived only for adults aged 18 years or more. Maximum comfort and perfection in its private Royal Service area for a fabulous experience in a world apart. Recommended for weddings, honeymoons, incentive trips and wellness/spa. Guest Rooms 354 rooms: 254 Junior Suites, 24 Luxury Junior Suites, 16 Luxury Junior Suites Ocean View, 2 Suites Deluxe, 36 Master Junior Suites Royal Service, 14 Master Junior Suites Ocean View Royal Service, 6 Master Junior Suites Luxury Royal Service, 2 Garden Villas Royal Service. Dining: 8 Restaurants (A la Carte, Buffet), 5 Bars. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Cancelon, Prodigios Interactivos SA, Evoline ltd, TripOnline SA and Prestigia so you can book your Paradisus Rio de Oro Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Paradisus Rio De Oro Hotel Holguin
- Paradisus Rio De Oro Resort And Spa
- Paradisus Hotel Guardalavaca
- Rio De Oro Paradisus
- Paradisus Rio De Oro Cuba
- Hotel Paradisus Rio De Oro
- Paradisus Rio De Oro Resort & Spa Cuba/Holguin