“Thankyou for a wonderful time in cuba”

Paradisus Rio de Oro Resort & Spa
Ranked #1 of 10 Hotels in Holguin
Weston super mare
“Thankyou for a wonderful time in cuba”
Reviewed March 4, 2010

What a fab hotel.

We were made to feel welcome from the start.
As people have said before this is not a 5 star by world standards but cuban so bear this in mind. It is just a little rough around the edges. Saying that it was of our best ever holidays and felt like king and queen.
There is not a lot we can fault with it. We had a couple of problems with lighting in room but a phone call and 30 mins later and it was sorted. No messing around.
The pool was lovely and dont forget to go and find the other three beaches. One by the spa, one just past the entrance to the royal and the second which has a bar there just past that agian.

The food was fab. Typical buffet problems with some stuff being a bit cold but you have got to expect that from any buffet service. but the choice was extensive and in general the quality was superb.

I have never eaten so much lobster in my life. Oh and champers and salmon for breakky :):)

As for the Resturants.
The International is lovely but could be just a bit better.
The Cuban was lovely
The med was fantastic
The Japanise was fabulous (Chinese though not japanise)
Make sure you get a show table in there as you can try everything then and take your camera.

Don't forget this is just our view. Different people we met like each one better that the other. They were all superb!!!
The one that did shine though with everyone was the jap with the show table.

Entertainment.

Night Life. It is ok but just caberat. Nothing after. No background music nothing, There is the karaoke bar but is very small and stupidly loud.

Day time.

There are loads of activities which we will get to in a min.
There is no music at all by the pool. Apparently this is because the germans don't like it?
Well there are not that many germans there mainly canadians and then english so please hotel manager sort that one out. As Basil Faulty would say don't mention the war ;)

As for the rest well....
All included... Archery, Air Rifle shooting, Sailing, Volleyball, Tennis, Badminton, Pool, Water polo, Horse Riding, Kayaks, Snorkels,mask and fins, all included at no cost, some events are run at certain times of the day.
Oh and get this... DIVING IS INCLUDED!!!!!!! yeap!!! if you are a qualified diver it is free. There are 15 mt and 30 mt dives. All BCD, AIR, REGS, FINS, MASKS, SNORKEL, WIEGHTS the lot; Jst make sure you take you certs.
They also do a pool dive and if you get on with it ok they will take you out on a 3 mt trial dive.
have never been anywhere before where full diving is included in a resort.

Trips..

Wel we did not bother with much but done the speed boats which were ok and Havana

Havana. For gods sake DO NOT do the day trip one it would be horrible!!! stupidly long day with 2 flights.
We done the 2 day trip with the Tropicana show.
I was not keen on the show but that is a bloke thing the WIFE!!!! loved it.

New Havana is a fasinating place was not sure what to expect but after coming to terms with the fact that it has been basically abandoned for 50 years.. ummm. there are some very untidy parts all over. It is a real eye opener to how lucky we are!!!

Old havana on the other hand is fabulous.
If you get taken to the havana club rum museum/factory make sure you try one of there cocktails that consist of rum, orange and freshly crushed suger cane they are to die for.

And the cars!!!! OMG!!!!

The Hotel though is not like the resort. Cuba has a rep for naff food compared to what we are used to and yeap the hotol trip food was naff.
The resturants we were taken to though were lovely.

Also take loo roll and water.

Back to the hotel in paradisus I cannot thank oz and jo enough from the entertainment team. They were stars as were all the staff but they really shone for me!

Also cuba is the only place I have ever been were we would be happy to just go for a wander a 3 in the morning off site and not worry if we got lost off complex. Even my other half felt so safe there and said she would be happy to go for a walk anywhere on or off restort at any time.
Get a horse and cart up the guadalavaca to, it was a fun few hours and well worth the pesos that the driver charges.

Would we go back....

Never say never.
We tend to never go back to the same place twice but this is one hotel that is on the top of the yes list if we ever went to cuba again ot definatly be here.

Tipping.

I have read the review just below going on about tipping????????
Ummm!!!! Sorry to say we did not have that problem at all.
It did not matter. We did not feel we had too.
We did get asked on 3 occasions if we could change a pound coin to a peso. Clearly given by someone who had just arrived. We had no problem with this and could understand that a pound coin was as about as much good as a chocolate teapot to a cuban just like any other currenency such as the canadian doller!!!
When I asked one of the staff who had looked after us really well what they would prefer. I offered pesos or all our old used shampoos soaps and shaving stuff etc they choose the stuff not the money. They cannot get hold of them to easy.

In a nut shell. If you feel you HAVE to tip your paranode

All that is left to say is

WOW!!!! B A G

5 Thank jullianclaydon
JuanTunon, General Manager at Paradisus Rio de Oro Resort & Spa, responded to this review, March 9, 2010
Dear Mr/Ms. Jullianclaydon,
Thank you very much for sharing your valuable comments. We are sorry about the cold food in buffet; actually we had cooler temperatures in the last few days and as the buffet is an open restaurant the food demands for more heat to keep in temperature. We have checked and solved it.
Please, notice that our resort’s entertainment is rather passive, although it offers a variety of all inclusive sports and activities during day and evening. Anyways, we are taking your comments into account, as they are always important to us.
Receive our warm wishes, especially from Osorio and Jordan (Oz and Jo), we will all be happy to see you again!
Sincerely yours,
Juan Tunon

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,215)
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Toronto
Reviewed March 4, 2010

There is little I can add to the other positive reviews of this wonderful All-Inclusive resort. We met many people who had been and returned for their 4th, 6th, 8th and beyond visits. my boyfriend and I decided that this is going to be the Caribbean equivalent of our local pub. Except we only go once a year. Sadly. Outstanding service. Spectacular beach. Food is great.
We did the dolphin excursion... not really all that good - better for families.
Did a couples massage. Loved it and loved the spa area beach. Gorgeous.
Gym is great and trainers are helpful.
We tipped for everything and loved doing so. We figured if we can pay 5K for a vacation, we can spare a couple hundred in tips and gifts for people who have very little and who go out of their way to make you feel special.
Feel confident to book your trip. We'll see you in February 2011!!

3 Thank ThingieToronto
paradisusri0de0r0, Manager at Paradisus Rio de Oro Resort & Spa, responded to this review, May 11, 2016
Barnsley, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 3, 2010

this hotel is perfect if your looking for an quite relaxing holiday, our room was on a corner block and was lovely i did read a copule of negative reviews prioir to going and dont know what they were about cause it was faultless. nice big rooms with really big bathrooms no bath though it was a shower, the cleaners atc was spotless we did leave tips for cleaner and those that fill your fridge and you do get stocked up extra, you laso get 24 hr room service which was quick and free the restuarants were very good apart from the outdoor cuban one it was nt has good has the others, at the pool you could get pizzas salas made fresh with big king prawns they were lovely, the japenese one was also lovely they cook in front of you while you watch. the beach to the hotel was really nice an good for snorkelling, there are barracudas in there but i just kept my distance, throughout the hotel there was champagne etc for you just to help yourself to. there was a night club but i did nt go, all drinks are good qaulity not cheap versions they are the top qaulity brands and you can have anything you want. tipping is not essential but we did has these people live in a very poor country and work very hard, you still get the same treatment if you dont tip its upto you, the hotel has free mopeds that we used once to go to the market at the next village you can pick up cheap wooden ornamnets there, we also did a few boat trips and swimming with dolphins which was fantastic done in the sea , this holiday is not suitable if you like to get out and about at night etc has there is nt anywhere to go but i wolud definately return its perfect for relaxation.

• Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
7 Thank lynnz
Kingston, Ontario
Reviewed March 3, 2010

My partner and I just returned from what was our third trip to PRDO. Leaving the resort was truly like leaving family and friends behind.

Check in was once again flawless, you are invited to enjoy a cool cloth, sparkling wine and a seat in their relaxed lobby, the check-in staff come to you. Long gone are the days where my partner ran to the check-in counter while I struggled with all of the luggage. It just does not happen at this resort. Our group of 8 friends arrived 3 hours early and this was all taken in stride. From the moment we arrived we were recognized by name from our previous trips.

Our first stop was the Breakfast Buffet, our favorite table was waiting for us with Rose Pedals and a bottle of Sekt. While on the subject of the buffet, a special thanks must go to Neysi, Norje, Lisbette, Norvalis and Leonel. Travelling in our group were two individuals who have wheat allergies and One vegetarian. This was never a problem, Neysi would prepare and insure that fries etc. were only made in uncantaminated oils and cooking utensils. Our chef Pavel in the Japanese restaurant prepared their food on a seperate grill.

The staff makes this hotel/resort! Everyone and I mean right down to the gardeners say hello. Actually the management could take a cue from their staff. That being said I'm not going to dance with the management.

I think that it is also fair noting that safety is never an issue. We generally will have one or two single friends in our group and my partner and I are in a same gender relationship. We have never had one uncomfortable moment. I can say this for very few other place in the WORLD. It's a non-issue

Without a doubt we will be back to PRDO in only 350 more sleeps!

6 Thank RideauRunner
Toronto
Reviewed March 2, 2010

I am not going to write about all the positive things about this resort as you've probably read them in the other reviews, however, my husband and feel like we must warn you about this resort's tipping situation. I was absolutely appalled when the photographer (mind you, not the videographer) approach my husband, after my husband had given him a VERY generous tip, to ask for MORE. To us, it completely ruined the romance, the atmosphere, and the image of this resort. He then kep following us in the lobby, by the washrooms, just to remind us that he deserves more. WOW! What a way to treat a newly married couple. I DO NOT recommend this resort to anybody. On the same note, when we just arrived, the man who drove us to our room and took our luggage wouldn't accept the tip that we offered him because it wasn't enough and he "had no use for it". Nice way to treat guests! At the spa, the ladies made a big fuss about me using the locker, and I could go on and on but I think you get the picture.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
12 Thank MensRea
JuanTunon, General Manager at Paradisus Rio de Oro Resort & Spa, responded to this review, March 5, 2010
Dear Ms. MensRea,
We are very sorry about what happened during your holidays with us on April 2009, one year ago. Please, notice that since this happened and until today our hotel has taken all the actions to avoid intolerable facts like this to happen. On the other side, as we always tell our clients, we would have liked very much these situations to have been reported right during your stay, as it would have given us the opportunity to make your holidays much more enjoyable.
Sincerely yours,
Juan Tunon
Sackville, NB
Reviewed March 1, 2010

This was our second trip to this resort and it was almost as wonderful as the first time. We had raved about it to my sister who came with us this time round.

Our rooms were bright, sunny, comfortable...basic Junior Suite rooms. The bathroom was in excellent shape with the single slight problem that the sink fawcet was a little worn out in appearance.

Interestingly enough, no staff person mentioned to us the possibility of an upgrade to the new Royale Suites -- we found out a couple of days into our week from another couple who had been approached that this was possible. We then inquired and were informed that for $75 US a day we could upgrade. We were driven up the road to one of the highest points on the properties and took a tour of one of the Royal Suites. These are gorgeous and "exclusive". We discussed the possibility of upgrading over dinner but decided against it, not because of the cost, but mainly because the three of us had completely unpacked and did not want to waste a half a day packing up, moving, and then unpacking again. As well, we did not want to be as distant from the main resort as these suites were -- you'd have to get a ride down most of the time unless you didn't mind a long walk. Our friends who upgraded for their last 3 days, had mixed feelings about having moved "up" to a "remote" room where they were given not one but 3 butlers who had little to do but offer to run jacuzzi water for them if they wished (they didn't), who strewed rose petals all over their beds in the evening(the guests had to clear them away before turning in for the night!), and who all needed to be well-tipped at the end of their stay! (However, they did enjoy swimming at the 3rd small beach. In addition to the main resort's beach, Playa Esmeralda, there are 3 smaller "cove" beaches just past the Spa, which anyone at Paradisus Rio de Oro may use. These beaches are not on any of the resort maps, and no one tells you about them, so you really have to dig around for this information.)

It was rather obvious to us that the resort's administrative types were "pushing" the Royal Suites. They are brand new, sumptuous, exclusive, elitist; when completely finished and landscaped, they will be totally out of reach, financially, for us. (If you book them online right now, they are over 8x the cost of a Junior Suite.)

We had a dinner one night in the Royal Suite area restaurant and it was absolutely wonderful, reminding me of the fine quality I had enjoyed in ALL of the restaurants 5 years ago. I had a uneasy feeling several times during the week that the formerly impeccable service, room condition, evening entertainment, and quality of food at the 4 evening restaurants in the main "older" part of the resort were somewhat compromised by their desire to promote the "new" area. The "old" resort suffered because of this and my experience as a guest did, too. I felt as if some of the guests we had seen around a lot during our first few days had suddenly vanished because they had been wooed away up the hill.

The pianist in the exclusive Royal restaurant was superb. A young woman. But we were only able to hear her play one time as we were unable to go back to that restaurant.

Five years ago there was a fabulous male pianist in the main lobby bar on many nights, but he was no longer there. Therefore, we had to settle for a percussionist/pianist (occasionally) who played with two other musicians, on a tiny electronic keyboard which had poor-quality sound. As a professional concert pianist, this was a major disappointment to me. We had gone to the bar for at least an hour most nights on our last visit to hear this tremendous pianist who played on a good-quality, well-maintained accoustic grand piano -- everything from Rachmaninoff and Chopin, to Piazzola and modern jazz. I missed him!

This year, there was a young, absolutely terrific jazz clarinettist improvising with freedom and verve over the basic harmonic structure supplied by the keyboardist and a bass player, so all was not lost!! And once, during the pre-evening entertainment, there was a very good older male flute player. They made my deep listening a real joy.

I was NOT keen on the all-male group of singers (the ones who sound like instruments) who performed at the "returnees" special dinner. They went on far, far too long, and their intonation was often simply dreadful.

In general I found the evening entertainment to be fun, but the stage shows would benefit enormously from a better, bigger performance area with more effective lighting possibilities, props, sets, and so on. The reliance on "dry ice" clouds for special effects wore very thin very quickly. The performers/dancers are doing surprisingly well with the little they have to enhance their presentations. They work extremely hard every night and are incredibly flexible, moving from style to style with relative ease. The ballet night, I felt, suited their natural dance styles much less well.

The band, situated off to one side of the stage, separated by a wall from the performers, was excellent, always! The singers, usually on the band-side, were superb, especially one gorgeous very dark-skinned woman who was sensational. I am sorry but I do not know her name. I did not like the physical separation of the band from the dancers. There is little or no visual contact between the two which I am certain, as a professional musician, must have been awkward for everyone. A band accompanying dancers really needs to see what they are doing! If the performance area is redesigned -- and I hope it is -- be sure to change that unfortunate situation!

The sound system is not good enough for loudly amplified opera arias. Although I love opera and could tell that these singers were doing a wonderful job, I steered away from the opera evening for that reason.

We took a trip to swim with dolphins (great!) and at the aquarium we heard a lively Cuban band that was better than any we heard at the resort. Someone on trip advisor seemd to think that the fact that many at the resort were "older" was responsible for the rather slow, "low-key" music and entertainment. I would vastly prefer upbeat music, and some wilder more youthful dancing opportunities, but all that should not start ONLY after 9:45. Let's have some live, fast Cuban music groups at other times throughout the day!

The beach restaurant is a great joy! Both the food and the service is extremely good there. We loved the special pig-roast which we stumbled upon quite by accident!! The ONLY place it was written about was in a small xeroxed brochure in the Activities Centre hut near the big chess board on the way to the beach. We did not see that brochure until the day we left, so we missed the paella feast at the beach restaurant.

The main buffet is always excellent and varies from day to day, meal to meal. The service there is also extremely good and we found ourselves always returning to the same area because we got to know two of the servers in that area --David, and the woman in charge of the area whose name is something like Macy -- who were always attentive and wonderful fun. I miss them both already!

The Mediterranean Restaurant was excellent. One reason I liked it a lot was that we were not as rushed between courses as we had been a few nights before in El Patio where each course was brought immediately as soon as the previous course's plate was whisked away. At El Patio my spiny rock lobster was vastly over-cooked and tough. My sister found that often at various restaurants the beef, chicken, or pork she ordered was overcooked and rubbery. I found that to be true myself at the Cuban restaurant where the two thin pork slices and fried banana patties were so hard and overcooked that I left most of it uneaten. We all loved the food at the Japanese restaurant and enjoyed the entertaining chef at our cooking table. Everything was mouth-wateringly delicious that night! In general, the best deserts were those featuring icecream!

The bars were all good, but I have a major suggestion that I should have made last time, too, but forgot to. Instead of a folded menu that simply lists the types of alcohol served at the main bar (ie. gin, vodka, rum etc.) I wish there were a card listing all sorts of interesting mixed drinks. Under each type of alcohol 5 or 6 mixed drinks could be listed by name, and the basic ingredients for each. At home I rarely drink mixed drinks, but on vacation I want to live a little!! Mixed drinks are more fun! I asked three bartenders to make suggestions but they were at a loss and were not at all helpful. Finally, one bartender understood my dilemma, went away and made me a fabulous drink with white rum, lime juice, soda, sugar, and triple sec; when I drank it I thought I'd died and gone to heaven! But no other bartender knew what it was and I never was able to find that special bartender again. PLEASE! Next time I hope there will be a list people like me can consult!

Over the course of one week our Junior Suite room had THREE different maids! We had loaded up our suitcases with items for our maid which we intended to give her at the end of the week, along with a tip. The first maid had to go home after 2 days, but we didn't know that she was going, so, sadly, she got no gifts and no pesos from us. The second maid was with us for 3 days and we left her a half of what we brought, but it was tricky to divide it in half -- plus our tip. The last maid (2 days) got what gifts were left, in addition to our tip. This was different from last year and we much prefer to have one maid whom we get to know gradually over the course of the week. We get to know a little about her children, siblings, parents, and life, which makes us feel more personal and loving when we leave her things we brought for her family. That is the sort of "human" thing which can happen in Cuba, which forges a special heart-to-heart connection, which keeps tourists returning to the same resort.

OK. I have to say this! Sorry! The first night I went to take a shower and in the bathtub was a big black spider about 2" in diameter. I called 7000 and a staff person came within ten minutes and removed him very handily to the great out-of-doors where I am certain he went on about his life much more happily!

My second wild-life incident was less cheery! One night we came back to the room full of dinner and exotic drinks to find a very large (about 3-4" long) cockroach on our bamboo blind, waving hello with his long feelers.
I was not impressed. We took turns keeping an eye on him during the 15 minutes (and one additional 7000 phone call) that it took for a staff [erson to arrive. The cockroach was a sporty beast and he ran all over the wall, finally dropping with a thud to a dark spot under a ledge, from which he soon emerged, running very fast where the floor meets the wall, finally wedging himself into a corner -- near my side of the bed.

He was eventually killed and removed, but I was never able to feel completely relaxed again. I realize this is the tropics, and these things happen, but I don't think they should happen twice in one week, in MY room, in a 5 star resort.

We did not receive either an apology or offer of special compensation from the management. Our new friends at the resort were shocked and thought that we should have received both. So did I. I just let these incidents go, but perhaps I should have lodged a complaint when nothing was said. Neither the spider nor the cockroach could be completely forgotten for the rest of our vacation. I wondered if the spider might reappear, and if the cockroach's grieving family members might decide to drop by for revenge some dark night.

I have been a little critical this time round because we plan to return and I hope that these aspects will be improved. Why are we returning? Because despite my critical suggestions, it is a fantastic resort in a wonderful location; because there are many many features of this resort that continue to be an undisputed 5-star quailty; because we feel close to the staff, many of whom we recognized from our previous visit, and who we have come to love; because the emerald-green sea is spectacular; because it is a lovely, lovely resort in so many many ways.

6 Thank Listeningtrees
Edinburgh
Reviewed February 28, 2010

First time in Cuba and as this was our honeymoon we were looking for something memorable and with a wow factor. We were not dissapointed. The hotel is marvelous offering a wide range of facilities and restaurants. The buffet is nothing short of superb with freshly cooked food made to order being available at every sitting.
What made it so special? Quite simply the staff. The service is exceptional and notably you need to get to know Pablo who looks after restaurant bookings, Rey, Nesyi and Aimee who looked after us in the buffet restaurant. Amilika in the Spa and Grace who looked after our Suite so well. Cuba itself is an Island caught in time offering a glimpse of the traditional Carribean. We chose not to venture too far from the Rio but the day trip to Santiago de Cuba was well worth the visit as was the ride on the catamaran and the snorkelling amongst tropical fish.
The pool is comfortably warm and if you need to chill the bar offers a wide range of cocktails, rum and beers all with larger measures than you might expect. Word of caution here! During our stay we made a number of friends some of whom had been to the Rio before. What's more if you want peace away from the children this is it!
What better compliment can we make than to say we loved the Rio experience so much so that we are returning in 2010. The weather, the staff , the food and hospitality all measured up beyond our expectations and make for a truly relaxing and enjoyable holiday highly recommended to all reading this review.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
5 Thank mike2411959
Old review, thank you
Also consider these accommodations in or near Holguin
Royalton Hicacos Varadero Resort & Spa
#5 of 64 in Varadero
Memories Holguin Beach Resort
Memories Holguin Beach Resort
#3 of 4 in Rafael Freyre

Been to Paradisus Rio de Oro Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!