One of our best holidays by far!
Where do you start - The hotel. We had 2 rooms booked one for us and the other for our 2 teenagers.Both rooms were clean and the air conditioning was a life saver.
The staff at every level were friendly, polite and eager to please especially the animation staff who kept their energy levels high even in the intense heat.
I am really proud to admit I tried snorkelling for the first time this holiday as the equipment was all part and parcel of the holiday as were the catamarans, peddle boats and canoes.
The sunbeds on the beach (just after the beach bar) always had towels placed on them from a very early hour (too early for us to reserve), however if you walk just a little further past the boats there are more umbrella's there. You then choose your umbrella and the very kind cuban beach man will bring you as many sunbeds as you wish. This way you can't reserve sunbeds - the beach is much quieter and the sea is perfect.
Food, food and more food. As much as you wish, although the intense heat does curb the appetite a little. Also the heat affected any alcohol taken in the day as well as the evening. The evening temperatures were in the region of 36c too hot to even sit and have a drink. My only critism is that there was one small air conditioned bar that everyone tried to cram into at some point. The DJ was fab and got the small dance floor bouncing along to his crazy salsa dance routines. Had some great nights in there.
The restaurants - you have to book the four a la carte, however only three of these are air-conditioned. If you book the first day of your holiday you should get your full allowance of these visits OK. We did! If you don't the buffet restaurant is still good but in the summer the temperatures are uncomfortable even early in the morning. Our next visit will be early in the year for sure.
One more thing and very important for the Cubans. Tipping. As you will be aware these people are extremely poor and you will see this reflected while you are being transferred to and from the hotel. We did tip the waiters every day and also for room service which is 24 hour and very good. We also took toiletries as presents for the maid as well as pens, pencils and felt tips. My daughter tipped the mini bar man so he would leave her more coke and fizzy lemon. She thought this was wonderful.
Lastly the only thing I didn't enjoy happened on our last evening at the PRDO. I awoke around 2.am to see a shadow on the netting above my husbands head. It turned out to be a frog which consequently jumped around our room for a while. We had to telephone the reception staff eventually to request someone to capture it. Which they did very quickly and efficiently. Look out though for when it rains it really does rain crabs and frogs.....
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located in the Bahia de Naranjo Natural Park, in Playa Esmeralda, on the northern coast of Holguin province. Five-Star Ultra All Inclusive Eco-Resort with 354 rooms. Conceived only for adults aged 18 years or more. Maximum comfort and perfection in its private Royal Service area for a fabulous experience in a world apart. Recommended for weddings, honeymoons, incentive trips and wellness/spa. Guest Rooms 354 rooms: 254 Junior Suites, 24 Luxury Junior Suites, 16 Luxury Junior Suites Ocean View, 2 Suites Deluxe, 36 Master Junior Suites Royal Service, 14 Master Junior Suites Ocean View Royal Service, 6 Master Junior Suites Luxury Royal Service, 2 Garden Villas Royal Service. Dining: 8 Restaurants (A la Carte, Buffet), 5 Bars. ... more less
- Also Known As:
- Paradisus Rio De Oro Hotel Holguin
- Paradisus Rio De Oro Resort And Spa
- Paradisus Hotel Guardalavaca
- Rio De Oro Paradisus
- Paradisus Rio De Oro Cuba
- Hotel Paradisus Rio De Oro
- Paradisus Rio De Oro Resort & Spa Cuba/Holguin