“You will get more than your money worth”

Paradisus Rio de Oro Resort & Spa
Ranked #1 of 10 Hotels in Holguin
A TripAdvisor Member
“You will get more than your money worth”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 6, 2005

Myself, my wife and our 23 months old daughter just came back from the pardisus after spending one week (July 30 to Aug 6) and I have to say that the resort exceed my expectations by miles.

First I have to say that it is a 5 stars by the Cuban scale and we have to accept that. It is not the Ritz Carlton and we did not pay for the Ritz Carlton too.
I will start with the flight with Sky service which was very nice and the flight attendants were amazing too. We arrived to the airport and as I was expecting it, small and not air conditioned but who cares we are not staying there. We went through customs in about 20 min and on our way to the resort we were in an air conditioned bus with a very very nice and smiley tour guide (Angle was his name). At the resort we were greeted with very nice and cold cocktails while we were doing our check in. Some of the rooms were not available but ours were and we got a very nice room in building 39 which was in the middle way between the restaurants and the pool. The room was very clean and I mean it very clean and the AC was very cool and again I mean it very cool. We requested a Crib for my daughter by email and it was there in about half an hour after our arrival. The mini bar was stocked with water, pop and beer. We have enough towels for three of us and I’m not sure why some people complained about the hot water pressure in the hotel as it was even better that what I have in my house in Canada.

Now to the pool and the beach, you cannot find a better place to spend your vacation than the pool there or on the beach. The beach is long, white sand and again I do not know why people complained about not being able to find chairs on the beach or on the pool as we were able to get the chairs we want where we want at any time of the day.

Let’s talk about the food, I was little bit hesitant to go to Cuba with my daughter in here age but let me tell you that she loved their Pizza more than the one from Pizza Pizza. You will never go hungry in that place and believe me when I say it that sometimes you will stop eating to prepare yourself to the next meal. About the a la cart restaurant I would not bother about the Cuban one but for sure the Japanese as we had a wonderful time there with Juan and his tricks in cooking.

I could go for hours talking about the Pardisus but all what I can say that you will get more than you money worth and you will enjoy it if you take into consideration that you’re in Cuba and not in the Ritz Carlton in downtown Toronto.

41 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
paradisusri0de0r0, General Manager at Paradisus Rio de Oro Resort & Spa, responded to this review, November 26, 2014
Old review, thank you

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,176)
  • Polish first
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 1, 2005

My husband and I stayed at the Paradisus from June 19th-26th. We had a fantastic trip at this beautiful resort. The staff is so friendly that I can not say enough good things about them.
A few points worth mentioning:
1) Book your a la carte restaurants in advance- the resort accepts email reservations (look up the Sol Melia website and you should have no trouble getting the email address)
2) Bring bug repellant - I think it was the time of year, but the resort was swamped with black flies and mosquitos (rained a lot the week before). I spoke to people that were there in March and they had no bugs. Limes work as well if you have forgotten your spray.
3) If you snorkel, take a banana down to the water with you...the fish will eat out of your hand.
4) Keep in mind that the food is good....but you are in a different country and they cook things a little different. We found the food (all of it) to be very oily...they cook EVERYTHING in oil. The buffet restaurant could use a grill, as a steak tasted much better grilled than fried. Also, the buffet restaurant was very open and surrounded with stagnant water. This brought a lot of flies into the restaurant and was frustrating while you were eating.
5) We loved 3 of the a la carte restaurants. We did not care for the Cuban restaurant as it was outside and very buggy. The airconditioned dining was a bonus for us as all our other meals were outside (again...could be the time of year).
6) The grounds are spectacular. Very clean and lush. The gardners work very hard to keep it looking beautiful.
7) We decided not to book any day trips through the tour operator as they were very expensive (the cdn $ does not go too far) and many people were disappointed. Instead, we took a horse and buggy into town and thought this was great!
8) take advantage of the room service. We ordered coffee every morning before breakfast. This was a great feature of this resort.
9) Don't go here if you want to party. We were on our honeymoon and wanted some relaxation, but we did see people that were itching to party! We did not find people at this resort overly friendly. Not sure why...some people keep to themselves I guess! The night entertainment was ok...but, we made the most of our days and usually went to our room early. There were not many children here, and it did not lok like there was much to do for them...although, I heard that they had a free babysitting service everyday in the mornings.
10) Don't worry about the construction...you will never even notice it.
11) Check out the Caleticas...worth it! But, don't go on a Sunday...there are lots of Cuban locals that go there with their families and pets.
12) make sure you take a care package of food with you to the airport...plane food sucks and you may find that you are hungry and the airport does not have much!
I took tons of pictures of the resort. If you want to see more than I am able to post please email me and I would love to share...overall...we had a fantastic trip and will go back!

• Stayed June 2005
51 Thank bennett2b
Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 26, 2005

just back from 10 days in the Rio dOro ,two adults two children (11+14), could not recommmend it more highly for a family holiday. Coral reef 50m from shore was the icing on the cake.

We drove from Havana to the hotel and back over 3 days which added immensly to our stay and gave us brilliant memories ...with hurricane denis thrown in...recommend travelling through cuba to get real feel for island and its people....holiday of a lifetime

15 Thank WalshfamilyTipperary
scotland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 23, 2005

My husband and 16 yr old son stayed at the Paradisus for a week from July 1st 2005. We researched pretty extensively prior to booking, and were not in any way disappointed with any aspects of the resort.
We contacted the hotel by e. mail prior to departure ( recommend) to specify what type of room etc. and also to book A'La Carte restaurants. We asked for adjoining rooms as our son has learning disability, and were give two wonderful rooms (4016/4018) ours was a corner room and although there was not much drawer space everything else was great.
All the facilities,restaurants, etc were excellent, as were the staff who were particularly wonderful with our son Alex, taking him on nocturnal crab hunts with the other kids and generally looking out for him.
I fail to understand why anyone would complain that this is not a 5 star resort. Yes it is possibly not as deluxe as some US hotels, but neither is it as cold or impersonal........it is truly unique, in a marvellous location on a fabulous beach, and we cannot wait to visit again.

24 Thank lindylooloo
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 23, 2005

Unfortunately due to the hurricane our stay in the Paradisus was cut short by a couple of days, but the time we did spend there was wonderful. The hotel is top class in every way. The beautiful lush surroundings contained a huge variety of plant life, birds, butterflies and even lizards! We stayed in a superior junior suite which had an outside shower - perfect for a romantic break! The staff were very friendly and helpful. Despite some minor language problems the service was impeccable. The beach is absolutely beautiful - the whitest sand and the sea a perfect turqouise. This hotel is everything you need for relaxation and luxury. Our only regret was that we did not get to dine at the a la carte restaurants as they were all booked up the week we were there. Having said that the buffet restaurant had a huge variety of food at all three meals, all very fresh and well cooked, so there was something for everyone. I had the most amazing cheesecake I have ever tasted at this hotel, so I won't forget this trip in a hurry!

22 Thank Tejstar
peterborough
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2005

just arrived home from a fantastic holiday.cannot recomend highly enough.Food top quality staff very pleasent and helpful nothing is to much trouble the beer is pretty good to .

11 Thank kevbaz
Kilmarnock, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 21, 2005

We travelled with First Choice and paid extra for the Premier Cabin. Was it worth it? Undoubtedly! No queuing at the airport, champagne and strawberries while the rest of the plane are boarding, little gifts and complimentary drinks during the flight.

The hotel is sensational; check-in was the quickest ever. We were handed a letter, which confirmed all our “a la carte” bookings and taken to our room, which faced the buffet restaurant. It was a top floor corner room with a wrap round balcony. I’m going for an operation on my ankle soon and have walking difficulties, so the location of the room was perfect.

The mattresses on the sun beds at the pool are a brilliant idea, use them as floating beds on the water or as large floating trays for the round of drinks from the pool bar.

The entertainment round the pool is excellent; the animation team work very hard and there is a full list of activities displayed on the notice board at the club house. We played water polo (I was the goalie!), water volley ball, beach volley ball and then a few games we made up with my tiny Mickey Mouse ball and the floating beds.

Lunch-time at the Santa Maria beach restaurant was breathtaking, the view is incredible, the friendliness of the staff is unbelievable. Roberto is the nicest man you can meet. On entry to the restaurant, he asks for your names and then the next day he remembers both of you and greets you by name. He is the kindest, most generous person you can meet. I hope his two eldest sons wear their “Killie” tops with pride. Roberto’s attitude to tipping is that friendship is more important than money. You need to be there early to get a table, so we usually lunched at 12.30, leaving a bit of a gap before dinner, which I usually filled with another lunch later in “El Saltoun”

Snorkelling was usually fitted in somewhere between lunching, bring your own gear or borrow it from the club house free of charge. If you go snorkelling, bring an underwater camera, there are fish everywhere. Take bread or bananas with you and the fish will surround you as you enter the water. You’ll need to swim with the bread out of the water as the snappers will start biting your fingers trying to get the bread. Just between the Massage Room and the Wedding Gazebo, at the beginning of the coral is the locality of one of the barracuda. It is perfectly happy to relax in its little den and must be fed up with daft Scots trying to poke it with sticks. If you feel really athletic, you can snorkel all the way round to the “Caleticas”, but it is a long swim made longer by the need to skirt all the way round the coral reefs which lie below the cliffs. There are probably more fish nearer the main beach.

Late afternoon often consisted of the pool “Olympics”, trying to run across 3 floating beds, somersaulting onto the beds and sundry other silly games. Or on the days when you were feeling less active, you could get a foot massage from the lovely Yanellis.

Dinner alternated between the buffet or the “a la carte” restaurants. The buffet is lovely, but really warm and humid. The choice of food is incredible; the soups were terrific. The staff in the buffet are, as everywhere, exceptionally friendly, encouraging our bumbling attempts at Latin American Spanish.

The Japanese Restaurant is an amazing experience, we laughed from start to finish. We were catching pieces of beef in mid air and even learned to eat with chop sticks.

El Patio is sheer class, it is elegant and romantic. The service is excellent and the food is to die for. A classical violinist plays in the background.

The Mediterranean is just wonderful, the décor and the whole ambience reminded us of some of the old Scottish Country House Hotels. The food and service were once again superb. This time it’s two classical guitarists who provide the accompaniment to your meal. The lounge of the Mediterranean is just so nice and cool to sit in after your meal.

El Bohio is the Creole restaurant, but it doesn’t have air conditioning and the food is only fair. However it does have the trio who play at most of the weddings and they are really good.

After dinner we usually met up with all the people we had met during the holiday and chatted or played pool. The company that we met really made the holiday, they were terrific and we had some brilliant laughs. It’s amazing how much fun you can have with a 5 peso note and a length of invisible fishing line.

We travelled to Guardalavaca twice by horse and carriage, Fidel, our driver, was a revelation. He knew so much about the birds the trees and the history of the country. Because we bought him a beer, he cut a fresh mango from a tree for us. The second trip included a ride through the country and a visit to his local in Aguardala Pierria. This is something you must do!

Swimming with dolphins is great and should not be missed, but the best value is the speed boat trip in the Mangroves, you’ll feel like James Bond.

What made Cuba and particularly Paradisus Rio de Oro special for us was the extreme kindness and friendliness of the staff. From the restaurant staff, bar staff, right through to the gardeners, they appear to be genuinely interested in you, and cannot do enough for you.

96 Thank Killiefan
Old review, thank you
Also consider these accommodations in or near Holguin
Royalton Cayo Santa Maria
Melia Buenavista
Melia Buenavista
#2 of 15 in Cayo Santa Maria
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,495 reviews

Been to Paradisus Rio de Oro Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!