Have just returned from 2 weeks at the Paradidus Rio De Oro. I read many reviews on this site before leaving, so I had a good idea what to expect. The hotel deserved every one of its five stars and I cannot recommend it highly enough.
We had a standard Junior Suite, which was more than adequate for our needs including 2 x queen beds, chaise longue, sky TV, balcony, dressing area and bathroom with powerful shower. All Junior Suites appeared to be very similar, with 16 to each block, positioned in the middle of the resort.
There is the buffet restaurant, 4 a la cartes, beach bar and poolside bar. They all did wonderful food but our favourite was the Japanese, closely followed by the buffet (the fillet mignon and pancakes are a must-have!)
The pool is split into two sections, separated by a waterfall. The water is plesant and not full of chlorine like many pools! The deepest part is about 1.6m, and the shallowest about 60cm, but there is no problem swimming and it was rarely busy.
There are plenty of sunbeds, umbrellas, gazeebos and hammocks. There are two jaccuzis, which are quite cold, but we sat in them and were served champagne like a king and queen!
The beach was quite crowded, but its easy to understand why. There are not many umbrellas and we were up at 7:00 to get one. The water was warm and crystal clear. The reef (and fish) are beautiful; we brought some snorkel gear in the UK before we went and we used it most days.
The Cuban people at the report absolutely make the holiday. They do not appear to act differently whether tips are given or not, but if you step outside the resort for a few minutes you will see how far a couple of pesos go. They are so friendly and happy and we spoke to so many people; the chambermaid, the gardner, the waiters and waitresses. Their English is good, but if you know any Spanish and want to improve then this is definitely the place to do it.
When we arrived the majority of visitors were Canadian, but when we left they were mostly English. There were a few from Switzerland, Germany, Austria etc who were all very nice. There were a few children, but mostly under the age of 5. As it is a wedding hotel there were several large groups; these all appeared to be from the UK.
We had some sunny days, some with partial cloud and some tropical storms. We were told that there was more rain in the two weeks we were there than they had in the last year and a half! It was always warm, and at night I comfortably wore trousers and vest top, or skirt with cardigan to dinner. Even when it was raining during the day we were comfortable in shorts and a Tshirt.
If you haven't been before then go with an open mind. Its very different to the UK (not meant in a bad way!), but try to visit the real Cuba and travel outside the resort if you can. Hire a moped for a few pesos, do a travel company excursion or take a bike; you don't need to go far.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located in the Bahia de Naranjo Natural Park, in Playa Esmeralda, on the northern coast of Holguin province. Five-Star Ultra All Inclusive Eco-Resort with 354 rooms. Conceived only for adults aged 18 years or more. Maximum comfort and perfection in its private Royal Service area for a fabulous experience in a world apart. Recommended for weddings, honeymoons, incentive trips and wellness/spa. Guest Rooms 354 rooms: 254 Junior Suites, 24 Luxury Junior Suites, 16 Luxury Junior Suites Ocean View, 2 Suites Deluxe, 36 Master Junior Suites Royal Service, 14 Master Junior Suites Ocean View Royal Service, 6 Master Junior Suites Luxury Royal Service, 2 Garden Villas Royal Service. Dining: 8 Restaurants (A la Carte, Buffet), 5 Bars. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Cancelon, TripOnline SA, Booking.com, Evoline ltd, Prodigios Interactivos SA and Prestigia so you can book your Paradisus Rio de Oro Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Paradisus Rio De Oro Resort And Spa
- Paradisus Rio De Oro Hotel Holguin
- Paradisus Hotel Guardalavaca
- Rio De Oro Paradisus
- Paradisus Rio De Oro Cuba
- Hotel Paradisus Rio De Oro
- Paradisus Rio De Oro Resort & Spa Cuba/Holguin