Hi my name is Rebecca and I just got back from the Paradisus in Holguin on Saturday. I recently married the love of my life on Thursday Jan.27th at the Gazebo over looking the ocean. It was absolutely breathtaking.
To begin my review, I would just like to say that i had extensively researched resorts based on what i thought would be the best place to get married and the easiest. The Paradisus won of course. But i also chose this resort for other reasons. I dont like going on vacation knowing that im going somewhere that is highly commercialized. The Paradisus is approximately an hour away from the Holguin airport, and is set within a lush tropical atmosphere. It is definately not a huge party atmosphere, but its what you make out of it. My wedding group consisted of 13 people, mostly young people like myself (23). We all love to party, and although this resort has a disco, you find after a long day of drinking and doing fun activities; and after watching the evening entertainment, that your too tired to go to the disco. However, i did manage to go there the night before my wedding and get a few dances in.
However, more about the resort. The rooms are absolutely amazing. We had room 3231, one of the superior suites with an outdoor shower that has ocean view, this room was great. I suggest using the outdoor shower everyday. In addition, the size of the rooms are pretty big compared to other resorts i've been to.
Food: I would have to say that the Japanese (Tsuru) is excellent, as well as the chef that cooks it is quite entertaining. The Cuban restaurant was ok, but not the best. The meditteranean was good, probably 3rd best. The El Patio(international) was excellent, my top choice. This is where i had my wedding reception. It is the fanciest of all restaurants, and the food was great. I had the Pork dish, as well you need to try the shrimp in red peppers, really good. In terms of the buffet restaurant, it was so so....better food than in the Dominican. The room service was great, try the Ham and Cheese Sandwich. As for the Pool Bar restaurant...it was good too! as well as the beach bar restaurant. So pretty much, good choice of places to eat for a smaller resort.
Another nice thing about this resort is that there are areas where you can escape and relax while gazing at the ocean (Caleticas). Nice watching the sun go down.
A point of advice too, there arent too many workers that ask you to get involved in things, you kinda have to make your own fun. Like we rented scooters and went into town one day, played water polo, volleyball, went horseback riding (free), Catarmaran cruise $69US, snorkeling right in front of the beach. And some other reviews said the coral was too close to the beach, well i think they were misleading because you have to swim out past your head to get to it, so its not that close.
The beach is gorgeous, nice white sand. You do share a beach with the Sol Luna Dmares resort but everyone pretty much sticks to their side. Paradisus members are allowed to use their amenities but they are not to use the Paradisus.
The entertainment was so so, there was one night where they had a dance competition that my friend and i entered in....dont do it...although it was fun; the competition is rigged because both my girlfriend and i are excellent dancers and we were told at the end that the winner was chosen before the competition even began. So its kind of unfair; but still fun. Futhermore, there was a back to the 60's and 70's night where a really good band came to play. They were really good. It gave everyone a chance to get up and dance (fast and slow).
Now a few tips if you plan on getting married there. Definately rehearse, because your wedding coordinator does not set that up for you. I rehearsed with my wedding party the night before, however, two minutes before i was to walk down the isle, the wedding coordinator changed everything on me and it made everyone confused and turned into a big mess. So what ever you do dont let them take over. It is also hard to communicate with them when they are spanish. Furthermore, know where you want pictures with the photographers, because they dont communicate well and know alot about good photography...so make sure you pick out some nice spots and know some poses you want taken.
Also, book wedding day time well in advance, because i was stuck with getting married at 1pm right in the dead heat of the day..then i had to wait around until 7pm to eat dinner (when most of the restaurants open). The best time would be 4pm. Remember you also have to be in the country 3 business days before you can get married.
I can go on and on about how much i loved this place and what went on during my wedding day and what could have been improved. But overall i loved this place and my husband and i have plans to come back for our anniversary in the future.
If you want to know anymore about this resort please feel free to call me (705)494-9054 or email me at firstname.lastname@example.org
I live in North Bay, Ontario , Canada
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located in the Bahia de Naranjo Natural Park, in Playa Esmeralda, on the northern coast of Holguin province. Five-Star Ultra All Inclusive Eco-Resort with 354 rooms. Conceived only for adults aged 18 years or more. Maximum comfort and perfection in its private Royal Service area for a fabulous experience in a world apart. Recommended for weddings, honeymoons, incentive trips and wellness/spa. Guest Rooms 354 rooms: 254 Junior Suites, 24 Luxury Junior Suites, 16 Luxury Junior Suites Ocean View, 2 Suites Deluxe, 36 Master Junior Suites Royal Service, 14 Master Junior Suites Ocean View Royal Service, 6 Master Junior Suites Luxury Royal Service, 2 Garden Villas Royal Service. Dining: 8 Restaurants (A la Carte, Buffet), 5 Bars. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Prodigios Interactivos SA, TripOnline SA, Cancelon, Prestigia and Evoline ltd so you can book your Paradisus Rio de Oro Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Paradisus Rio De Oro Hotel Holguin
- Paradisus Rio De Oro Resort And Spa
- Paradisus Hotel Guardalavaca
- Rio De Oro Paradisus
- Paradisus Rio De Oro Cuba
- Hotel Paradisus Rio De Oro
- Paradisus Rio De Oro Resort & Spa Cuba/Holguin