I have just returned from the PRDO after having a great honeymoon there, staying at the main resort in the first week and the Royal Service in the second week. The hotel is set in beautiful grounds, with the gardeners working tirelessly to keep it looking like a real tropical paradise. We went to the spa twice and would really recommend it, the pool, beach and service there make for a really luxurious and romantic experience and the massages are great, the firmest massage you'll ever get! The staff in the spa were very attentive. The best thing about the main resort is the staff, Aveda the Honeymoon coordinator was brilliant, making sure we had everything we needed and organising some fantastic meals and events for us. The staff at the lobby bar are great, really quick, efficient and friendly- especially Yander and Alien. The hotel was only at 30% capacity when we were there and this had plus sides and down sides, it meant that we had a great selection of sun beds and we never had to wait for drinks but unfortunately the hotel chose to close the restaurants on many nights meaning that we could not get into any in the main resort until 5 days into our stay! If people can't get into a restaurant they need to open them more often. This is not acceptable when Thomas Cook say you are guaranteed 3 a la carte's a week and especially when the hotel is at low occupancy but they did allow us to eat at Los Helechos in the first week which was really nice.
I need to make a special mention about the food, as it really is fantastic, not just for Cuba but for anywhere. Carlos the food and beverages manager has done a brilliant job and is one of the friendliest, attentive and hard working people I have met and is a real asset to the hotel. The portions are small which is great as it means that you can have three or four courses every night without feeling overly full (or putting on too much weight!). The buffet for breakfast is also very impressive with a huge array of meats, cheeses, pastries, doughnuts, fruits and eggs in every possible way imaginable! Lunch at the buffet was low key but great for salads and very tasty paella type rice dishes and fresh meats and fish for grilling on the spot- but we often preferred the beach restaurant which has a lovely view and a good choice of dishes. The best restaurants were the Mediterranean (great carpaccio and authentic style carbonara with eggs & bacon like it's supposed to be) and the Japanese which is great fun, although it would be nice if the sushi used fresh raw salmon rather than smoked salmon but all the food was very tasty.
The Royal service is very picturesque and the rooms are really well appointed, worth the upgrade definitely. The food at the restaurant is really very good fine dining, especially the colour meal evening where we had one of the nicest fillets of beef I've had, served pink as it should be- a real treat for Cuba! Our only let down about the Royal service was the customer service, we found the staff to be not as friendly or upbeat as in the main resort, especially at Los Helechos for breakfast and lunch, we found one of the waitresses to be particularly difficult with a 'no can do' attitude- for instance when ordering a pasta dish once I asked if I could order a side salad to which she said I can only order from the menu so had to order a salad full of tuna, eggs and anchovies that I didn't need. We also tried to order a cocktail we saw on the back of the menu to which she said "you're not supposed to open this part of the menu, we don't do these cocktails". We also found that in the mornings/early afternoons the bar service was slow or even non existent around the pool until the very lovely friendly lady started her shift in the afternoon.
The hotel offers a fantastic range of activities and the animation team, especially Aggi work really hard to make your stay a fun one. We had booked on 4 of the hotel excursion but unfortunately 3 of which were cancelled due to low uptake which was very disappointing as they looked very interesting.
The pool closure I feel has been a big issue, with the pool restaurant closure meaning a more restricted choice at lunchtime/daytime snacks and the arrangements to use next door's pool being unacceptable. You do not pay to stay at a five star adult only resort to have to walk a good mile in the heat to get to a four star resort full of kids! As a result the Royal Service pool ended up being packed as people chose to upgrade which meant that not only was the main resort effected but also the quality and atmosphere of RS. One day we couldn't get a sunbed round the pool at all at the RS- not great when you're paying 105 CUC extra a night to stay there!
Overall we had a great Honeymoon with some fantastic meals with just a few areas for improvement. We would very much like to return in the future but would not do so whilst the main pool is closed- even in the Royal Service as this has unfortunately had a knock-on effect.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located in the Bahia de Naranjo Natural Park, in Playa Esmeralda, on the northern coast of Holguin province. Five-Star Ultra All Inclusive Eco-Resort with 354 rooms. Conceived only for adults aged 18 years or more. Maximum comfort and perfection in its private Royal Service area for a fabulous experience in a world apart. Recommended for weddings, honeymoons, incentive trips and wellness/spa. Guest Rooms 354 rooms: 254 Junior Suites, 24 Luxury Junior Suites, 16 Luxury Junior Suites Ocean View, 2 Suites Deluxe, 36 Master Junior Suites Royal Service, 14 Master Junior Suites Ocean View Royal Service, 6 Master Junior Suites Luxury Royal Service, 2 Garden Villas Royal Service. Dining: 8 Restaurants (A la Carte, Buffet), 5 Bars. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Prodigios Interactivos SA, TripOnline SA, Cancelon, Prestigia and Evoline ltd so you can book your Paradisus Rio de Oro Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Paradisus Rio De Oro Hotel Holguin
- Paradisus Rio De Oro Resort And Spa
- Paradisus Hotel Guardalavaca
- Rio De Oro Paradisus
- Paradisus Rio De Oro Cuba
- Hotel Paradisus Rio De Oro
- Paradisus Rio De Oro Resort & Spa Cuba/Holguin