We travelled here after a short stay in busy Havana and were not disappointed. This resort sits in lovely grounds and is surrounded by equally lovely countryside. Sitting at one end of a sandy bay with a lovely reef, which it shares with 2 other hotels owned by the same company, it is a true oasis. We spent our days on the beach, where the sun lounger attendant works hard to find you a patch of shade (more sun umbrellas and/or trees please) and where there is a very nice bar with terrace and a restaurant that overlooks the sea. There is a pool with large surround for lounging also, but we only used the bar there for a sundowner on our way back in the evening. There is a good pool restaurant also - good home baked pizzas and pastas!
At night we ate in all 4 a la carte restaurants, although the only one I would recommend is the Japanese one, where the food was great and the experience at the cook's table memorable. The other 3 were disappointing - we would rather have eaten in the buffet restaurant where the choice and quality of food was super. Breakfast is here also and again choices are huge and of great quality - only slight miff was the amount of birds flying around and nibbling at the food when they got the opportunity.
Entertainment in the evenings is of good quality - from synchronised swimming in the pool to dancing on stage - the youngsters showed great style and athleticism in the moves and lifts they executed.
If you like wildlife as we do then snorkel on the reef (take a roll or banana and feed the fish) or take a walk across the bridge and watch the egrets and turkey buzzards in the lagoon. We walked further one day to the next bay - there's a good path. At night walk around the grounds of the resort and see the land crabs, toads and the Jutia (large rodent like mammals) which abound if you have the patience to sit and wait.
Finally the rooms are either in 2 storey blocks, nicely spaced apart or bungalows overlooking lawns or scrub. Nicely furnished with a well stocked mini bar, a large bathroom and patio/balcony furniture they are kept spotless by staff who leave nice notes, flowers and sculpted towels! All the staff are lovely here and deserve any tips you want to give them - they work so so hard!
We had a great time and have nothing ill to say about the resort apart from the fact that we could find no designated no smoking areas, and for non smokers like us it was quite hard to get away from cigarette or cigar smoke. However, I'd recommend this resort anytime - go, you won't be disappointed!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located in the Bahia de Naranjo Natural Park, in Playa Esmeralda, on the northern coast of Holguin province. Five-Star Ultra All Inclusive Eco-Resort with 354 rooms. Conceived only for adults aged 18 years or more. Maximum comfort and perfection in its private Royal Service area for a fabulous experience in a world apart. Recommended for weddings, honeymoons, incentive trips and wellness/spa. Guest Rooms 354 rooms: 254 Junior Suites, 24 Luxury Junior Suites, 16 Luxury Junior Suites Ocean View, 2 Suites Deluxe, 36 Master Junior Suites Royal Service, 14 Master Junior Suites Ocean View Royal Service, 6 Master Junior Suites Luxury Royal Service, 2 Garden Villas Royal Service. Dining: 8 Restaurants (A la Carte, Buffet), 5 Bars. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Cancelon, Prodigios Interactivos SA, TripOnline SA, Prestigia and Evoline ltd so you can book your Paradisus Rio de Oro Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Paradisus Rio De Oro Hotel Holguin
- Paradisus Rio De Oro Resort And Spa
- Paradisus Hotel Guardalavaca
- Rio De Oro Paradisus
- Paradisus Rio De Oro Cuba
- Hotel Paradisus Rio De Oro
- Paradisus Rio De Oro Resort & Spa Cuba/Holguin