ROOM: An enormous room-24ft X 16ft -balcony 16ft X10ft and a bathroom 16ft X 10ft with twin basins Jacuzzi bath and additionally an outside tiled shower. The bedroom was furnished with king size bed, Settee and armchairs. coffee table and a walk in clothes closet.. It exceeded our expectations
ROOM FACILITIES: The mini bar was replenished daily with beer and soft drinks and anything else was quickly provide (wine, spirits ice ) by the 24 hour butler service. The maid service was excellent from a cleaning viewpoint but there were obvious signs of the "3rd world country " when it came to systems. The coffee, sugar filters paper fill-ups were sometimes overlooked and there didn't seem to be any housekeeping supervision (wages are less than £1 a day ) but any shortcomings reported by the room telephone were dealt with within minutes.
RESTAURANTS: A good choice and the extra restaurant (exclusive to the Royal Service section)was delightful. Food beautifully presented and with a high staff to customer ratio.
Breakfast was either in Royal Service -extensive cold buffet with hot food cooked to order or the main buffet where the choice of food was enormous and included egg station, pancake station, and smoothy .There were 4 restaurants in the main resort. Opinions varied so comments must be subjective and therefore perhaps it is best to say they should all be tried.
BARS: A number of bars -all inclusive, and the service was 1st class in the whole resort. The Royal Service had no less than2 bars ,one inside and one poolside. The Royal Service pool barman was excellent and not only waited on each sunbed with drinks but also brought round fruit and canapés-as if we needed them !
POOLS: We didn't use the main pool but it seemed to be well-patronised and was also adjacent to the beach. The Royal Service pool was a3 tier infinity pool and was beautiful but unfortunately unheated. This was one of the small things that stopped this resort being" Excellent "and resulted in this facility being underused.
LOCATION: The Royal Service was on a hill-top situation with an easy walk down to the beach.
Golf carts were available at a moments notice for transport anywhere on the resort. There was only the small resort of Guadalavaca nearby with its beach and craft market. Taxis were always available at the hotel for only £3.50. We had a horse and buggy ride back complete with a tour of the resort for £6.50 . For trips further afield there were plenty of excursions but we hired a car and visited the provincial capital of Holguin ,and some of the rural villages.. Motoring is easy as most Cubans have only a horse or a cycle.
OVERALL: A great holiday at a lovely hotel with the most delightful staff.
TIPS: First of all,about tipping. The staff don't "work the crowd " for tips but a Peso (65p ) or a couple at bars or restaurants are appreciated. Another tip is to NOT expect everyone to have their act to-gether. WE arrived when no other travellers were at the airport but it still took over an hour to retrieve passengers luggage. There were 2 carousels and they couldn't decide which to use so they put a bit of luggage on each ! The result was seeing passengers rushing from one carousel to the other . Let's hope they never get 2 flights in to-gether !. SO in Cuba patience is obviously crucial .
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located in the Bahia de Naranjo Natural Park, in Playa Esmeralda, on the northern coast of Holguin province. Five-Star Ultra All Inclusive Eco-Resort with 354 rooms. Conceived only for adults aged 18 years or more. Maximum comfort and perfection in its private Royal Service area for a fabulous experience in a world apart. Recommended for weddings, honeymoons, incentive trips and wellness/spa. Guest Rooms 354 rooms: 254 Junior Suites, 24 Luxury Junior Suites, 16 Luxury Junior Suites Ocean View, 2 Suites Deluxe, 36 Master Junior Suites Royal Service, 14 Master Junior Suites Ocean View Royal Service, 6 Master Junior Suites Luxury Royal Service, 2 Garden Villas Royal Service. Dining: 8 Restaurants (A la Carte, Buffet), 5 Bars. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com so you can book your Paradisus Rio de Oro Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Paradisus Rio De Oro Resort And Spa
- Paradisus Rio De Oro Hotel Holguin
- Paradisus Hotel Guardalavaca
- Rio De Oro Paradisus
- Paradisus Rio De Oro Cuba
- Hotel Paradisus Rio De Oro
- Paradisus Rio De Oro Resort & Spa Cuba/Holguin