“4TH. time @ the PRO Royal Service )”

Paradisus Rio de Oro Resort & Spa
Ranked #1 of 10 Hotels in Holguin
Doncaster
“4TH. time @ the PRO Royal Service )”
Reviewed October 11, 2013

We returned to the PRO on the 19th September to be met by all our friends in reception- Norma. Tami and the rest of the team ( Butlers, waiters. Waitresses, buggy drivers, pool attendant etc )
Just like home from home. We were taken to our usual room- garden view from where we could just see the ocean. The room was beautifully clean with milk in the fridge and whisky / vodka on the bar. We once again sampled all the restaurants and once again did not have one complaint .Food was excellent. Service was even better. By Cuban standards this hotel is certainly 5* and deserves this rating . We come to look upon the staff as our friends and god willing will be returning in 2014.
Thanks to all for another fabulous holiday.
Chris & Terry Hesslewood
England

Room Tip: All rooms in Royal Service are excellent.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank BDunDoncaster
paradisusri0de0r0, General Manager at Paradisus Rio de Oro Resort & Spa, responded to this review, November 19, 2013
Dear Chris & Terry Hesslewood,
We were honored to have you in our Royal Service for the 4th time! Thank you so much for taking your time to share your wonderful experience with other travelers in TripAdvisor.
Receive special greetings from all our staff, especially Norma, Taimi, your buttlers and I, who will be looking forward to your 5th time with us!
Lorenzo Rubio

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,223)
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Reviewed October 10, 2013

We visited PDO from Sept. 29th-Oct.6th 2013.
We have had this resort on our radar for a number of years and AC Vacations gave us a great deal so we along with our good friends got the chance to try this resort out.

Okay let us dispense with the star rating.....you are in Cuba stop trying to compare to your locals were it is to your standards...if your hotels have the same beaches, clarity of ocean water and reefs that still have wildlife then go ahead compare them!!!!!!!!!!! :-)

The hotel is nice, the staff are great, the food is good, the drinks are okay.

We stayed in building 40 in a corner unit, our chamber maid was Taimi she was fantastic looked after all of our needs(note to management have Taimi train and mentor your other staff)

We went to all of the specialty restaurants and they had choices that catered to my liking seafood fish and some interesting appy's

The buffet is open air so if you like AC try to get to the Japanese/International/Med. restaurants.

The pools are great....yes they need a paint job get over it :-) the beaches are nice....go for a walk and explore we loved walking and going for a swim.

Have the Paridisus salad with the shrimps and ask for extra avacados loved it ate it every day

This spot is wonderful we have stayed at other resorts in this area but this place is #1 for this area.

The hobie cats are great have Alex take you out he is wonderful... and loved it the wind allows for lots of fun sling the waves.

Our room was nice we had a King size bed and a flat screen with a few English channels.

We met a lot of wonderful people on this trip also, special mention to a young couple from "Winterpeg" a nice couple from the "Rock" a large group from Wales keep drinking the Zambuccas and the Monkey Brains. Plus a lot of people from GB and of course Scotland my ancestoral base.

If this resort is in your plans go for it and have fun the value is what you make of it....oh by the way most of the people in RS were up with the rest of us...maybe way too quiet there ;-)

The bus ride is at least an hour plus fifteen to PDO relax...get off the bus go to the bar do not stand in line...when the line is gone walk over with your drink and get your room keys...they were already assigned so you are not missing out...and if your room is not to your satisfaction they will accommodate you....for free....or maybe some CUC :-)

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank amaxmillion
paradisusri0de0r0, Director General at Paradisus Rio de Oro Resort & Spa, responded to this review, November 19, 2013
Dear Amaxmillion,
We are so glad you decided to stay at Paradisus Rio de Oro after these years planning, and to know that you enjoyed it so much, thank you for taking the time to share your experience with other travelers in TripAdvisor.
We truly hope to have you back soon, so please, give us news as you start plans and we will make sure not to let you delay your trip that much again! Looking forward to welcoming you again!
With best regards,
Barrie
Reviewed October 8, 2013

We visited PDO last November and are now in the process of booking our 2nd trip to PDO this year. We have travelled to cuba 5 or 6 times and loved the Holguin area. We decided to treat ourselves last time and go for the best PDO and was not disappointed! All the staff was wonderful, the grounds amazing and service fantastic. We loved the restaurants and although the Japanese restaurant hadn't re-opened after the hurricaine at that time, we weren't lacking. I think we ate lobster every night at all the ala carts and we would visit the buffet before our reservations to have the ceasor salad freshly made.. hmmm... brought the recipe home but still can't replicate how amazing it was!
We originally booked a basic room, but found our room was too close to the main buildings so asked to be upgraded. We weren't sure if we wanted to be at the RS, so Carlo's drove us around to show us the difference between RS, deluxe rooms and the bungaloos. We Fell In LOVE with the bungalos with their private porch and outdoor shower. I can't remember the number 14 maybe? but it was about the 3rd from the pool and it overlooked the ocean wall and we had our own porch with muskoka chairs which was amazing! In late afternoon, we would leave the pool/beach and head back to our little peace of heaven on our porch and have a quiet time with a glass of wine (they will bring a bottle to your room) and watch the sun set and enjoy the view and the quiet. If you are lucky, you will see all kinds of wonderful wildlife come out for the evening including the small groundhog like animals that live off the paths...There are lots of cool things to see, you just have to open your eyes! And yes, there are spiders around and sometimes large ones, but don't worry! they won't bother you if you dont bother them. I'm actually arachnaphobic, so I can't believe i'm saying this, but they were almost beautifully hypnotising... I actually felt better when I could see them (rather then wonder where they were).lol.. and besides, they keep the mosquito population down so they are a good thing!

This year we will definately want a bungalo again,but will probably do what we did last year which was wait and upgrade when we arrive, allowing us to see the room we are assigned. I'm just hoping that all the units aren't sold out when we arrive...
I will keep you posted if it works out.
Looking forward to next month at PDO!
Laurie Tribble

Room Tip: choose the bungalo - quiet, comfortable place to sit and watch the sunsets!~
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Coppertimes
PRO_Managment, Director General at Paradisus Rio de Oro Resort & Spa, responded to this review, October 9, 2013
Dear Coppertimes,

I appreciate very much having your review about your amazing experience in our hotel. It is great to hear you are already booking for the 2nd time in this haven of peace, where we look forward to seeing you soon! Please, do not hesitate to send us news!

With my best regards,
Southampton
Reviewed October 8, 2013 via mobile

We stayed in the royal service part of the resort and I could not fault the hotel in anyway whatsoever. Service was A1, room was spotlessly clean, food was great quality throughout the resort. The beach restaurant for lunch is a must, calamari with great sea view and a Havana 7 cuba libre is my idea of heaven.

I have not revisited a foreign hotel in my life and always want to go somewhere new but I would return here in a heartbeat.

• Stayed March 2013
2 Thank DrewDyer
paradisusri0de0r0, Director General at Paradisus Rio de Oro Resort & Spa, responded to this review, October 10, 2013
Dear DrewDyer,
It has been a pleasure to have you in our hotel, we are glad you are part of the group that says they do not repeat a place except when it has to do with Paradisus Rio de Oro!!!
All our staff and I are already waiting for you!!!
Slough, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 7, 2013

My girlfriend and I stayed at Paradisus Rio de Oro from 19th Sept to 3rd Oct 2013. Flights with Thomson were on time both ways. After the 1 hour transfer time, we were greeted with smiles, cold towels and champagne (just what was needed after 10 hours on a plane, an hour at the airport and an hour on a coach!). Check in was smooth and took a couple of minutes.

We were taken to our corner room in Block 22 by golf cart and bags carried upstairs to the first floor to our room. The room was a standard junior suite, very spacious with a fully stocked mini bar (beers, coke, lemonade, fizzy orange), flat screen TV, safe, plenty of towels and a large balcony). From talking to people at the Royal Service (RS), I felt that the Junior Suite was the correct move to make. If you prefer to be waited upon hand and foot from morning to evening, then the RS may be for you. My girlfriend and I found the standard room / facilities to be more than adequate.

After a quick shower, we spent what was left of the evening wondering around resort, findings out where everything was situated. The gym was a 3-4 min walk from our room, well equipped with cardio and weights. The rest of the evening was spent at the lobby bar having our first drinks.

Throughout the trip the lobby bar was our central meeting point with the friends we made. There was a great vibe during the early evenings at the lobby car with the piano player. However, the evening entertainment shows did get a bit loud. Alcoholic and non alcoholic drinks were great, although be sure to tip one or two of the lobby bar waiters to ensure you are looked after all night. They will remember your faces during subsequent days and will be sure to keep the drinks flowing!

When at the hotel, the daytimes were spent either by the pool or beach. The pool is a good size, good temperature and the bonus is having a great swim up bar of course. The beach is fantastic with soft white sand. I would walk about 50 metres or so further along the beach to get a great place to swim in the sea.

The quality of the buffet restaurant food is fantastic for breakfast, lunch and dinner. There is plenty to choose from, including chefs at various stations to make you omelettes / friend eggs in the morning and various meats / spaghetti Bolognese in the evenings. My girlfriend and I visited 3 of the A la carte restaurants (each a la carte restaurant can be booked in area located between main reception and the money exchange). The Mediterranean was our least favourite (appeared to be tinned food heated up). The Cuban restaurant was good but the Japanese stole the show for us! We visited the Japanese restaurant twice. Ensure to ask for a 'show table' when you book the Japanese. My girlfriend and I absolutely loved chef Reubert at the Japanese. He was very entertaining and we enjoyed his humour! The hotel also does meals by the beach bar on Wednesdays and Fridays which are great.

In terms of excursions, we did the 4x4 Safari (included speed boat driving, visiting a school and farm). This was well worth a trip. We also did the Holguin Tour which gets very tiring but you learn a great deal about real Cuba and the people. Finally, we took a catamaran out to the beautiful island of Cayo Saetia. This island was unspoilt with great snorkelling locations. I also had a full body massage done at the hotel 'YHI' spa, which also allowed me full access to the spa facilities (Jacuzzi, salt swimming pool, steam room). I was so relaxed that the masseuse almost sent me to sleep! Highly recommend a trip to the YHI spa.

Throughout our stay, the hotel staff could not do enough for us, from the maids, waiters, chefs, front desk, spa staff. The gardeners work extremely hard to keep the resort looking as beautiful as it looks. Every morning, a specific gardener would come up to my girlfriend and give her a flower which always made her smile. I was also offered fresh coconut milk numerous times in the morning by the gardeners who had only minutes before picked coconuts off the trees. One evening, my girlfriend and I walked into a leak in our room caused by the air conditioning. Within 10-15 minutes this being reported, a maintenance man had this rectified - impressive!

None of the staff expect or look for tips, but they are highly appreciative when they do receive a few Pesos here and there. I would highly encourage you to do this for your favourite staff (you do end up having your favourites over a 2 week stay), as they really do work hard for very little in terms of wages. Also, any left over toiletries you may have would be greatly appreciated by the maid / waiters / waitresses as things such as sun cream, shampoo, toothpaste can be expensive for the hotel staff.

Nothing is ever too much for the amazing people that run this hotel. They are quite possibly the politest people we have met on our holidays throughout the Caribbean and the U.S. I would go back in an instant!

On a side note, I hear that Thomson / First Choice will be pulling out of Cuba next year. I would encourage them to keep this beautiful part of the world within their list of destinations as I certainly would not want to travel with Thomas Cook.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
10 Thank Pawandeep K
Dear Pawandeep K,
I appreciate very much your review in TripAdvisor, and feel glad you enjoyed such an amazing time with us. We are looking into your comments, always very useful. Regarding food at the Mediterranean restaurant, please notice all is done in place, nothing is tinned. We hope this is the 1st of many holidays in Paradisus Rio de Oro, where we are all already waiting for you!
With sincere regards,
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed October 6, 2013

I visited Paradisus Rio de Oro during the last week of September. I booked the royal section, and overall enjoyed a relaxing trip. This hotel is not made for party, but to relax and unwind. There are no young children, and it’s mostly couples. I’ll try to cover the points that I would have found useful to know before booking the trip.

Positive points

Nice grounds with lots of green. Lots of lizards and crabs running around. Colibris and other birds flying.

Beautiful beaches. Royal one has nice sea raisins trees. "Normal" one has palms. Both have enough places with shade now in September, though I suspect in high season you'll have to get up early to get a shady spot.

Good food. Especially great for seafood lovers. Both the buffet and restaurants were great, though I did prefer eating at restaurants.

Even if the hotel is spread out, it is possible to “order” a golf cart to take you elsewhere, from anywhere with a phone, including the Royal beach. I’ve seen these ordered by older guests, and they come promptly.

Negative points

Difficult to get away from constant Cuban and old pop music. The only quiet beach with bathrooms close by is the spa one, reserved for spa customers.

There is no coffee or hot drinks on the beach in the Royal section. And there is nowhere close by to get some, unless to get back to the Royal lobby bar or to the restaurant on the other beach.

Not all rooms are cleaned to the same standards. I have declined an upper floor room, close to the lobby, in the Royal service, where room was dirty, with dead flies near the TV, and a dirty, moldy looking mattress. The room I finally spent the week at (ground floor 8812) was very clean, well maintained by the maid, who did an excellent job every day. Don’t be afraid to complain, if you come across any issues, service takes care of the issues immediately.

Tips

It is possible exchange the money outside of the operations of the small bank outlet, directly with the hotel for a 3% fee.

Hotel introduced Wi-Fi in both the Royal and the main lobbies. It’s free for Royal service customers, 4.50 CUC an hour for everyone else. (DSL type of speeds, no dial up, faster, but not very fast.)

There is a very quiet secluded beach (though with no bar/drinks/food close by, 5-7 min walk), in between the Royal beach and the Spa beach. It is not exclusive to Royal customers, so if you are looking for max quiet, this is the best beach to go.

Royal service upgrade is worth if you would like more private section with drink/lunch service on the beach, more attentive private service, and nicer more modern rooms. There is entertainment, usually piano/singers at the Royal lobby every night. Drinks service is a lot quicker, too. I found the upgrade was worth the money spent.
After speaking with some other travelers, it is cheaper to book Royal upgrade on the spot for travelers from UK/Europe. However, no real price difference for Canadians, at least when I was there (It was actually slightly cheaper to book the upgrade directly from Canada).

Closest way to get to the coral to snorkel, is from the SPA beach. Look for the yellow buoyants. You’ll need to be a strong swimmer to go back and forth. Catamaran excursions stop there to snorkel (if you’ll take one). Closer to the beach there is nothing much to see, only small fish and a few small corals. All the interesting “stuff” is further from the beach.

Room Tip: Room 8812 in the Royal section is on the ground floor, few minutes from the Royal lobby, and close t...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
7 Thank 7171_11
Dear 7171_11,
Thank you for sharing your Royal Service experience with other travelers in TripAdvisor. We appreciate your comments and are looking into them. Being in Cuba, guests ask us to play Cuban music; that is why you will find it in some areas of the hotel. About the bathrooms in the beach, please, notice that you also have bathrooms in the Royal Service beach bar, as well as in the main beach’s. We have reviewed about beach shade areas for the coming high season and there will be enough for all. So we really hope to have you back soon! We will all be waiting for you and would like to receive your news as you make plans for it!
Reviewed October 6, 2013 via mobile

We went to PRDO from mid September to early October for a fortnight. Airport transfer is 80 mins on A/C'd coach so no complaints - you get to see a lot of this amazing country. The weather throughout the stay was usually sunny and hot in the daytime and some thunderstorms at night. Little to no rain, possibly 4 occasions in total, and 1 big thunderstorm. No complaints about weather.
The setting of the hotel is AMAZING - beachside wherever you look, 15 mins from Guardalavaca where the market is.
The standard junior suites at the hotel are huge - plenty of space for a 2 week stay. Always clean and tidy and fully functional. ADVICE - this is a tropical climate so a couple of little ants are expected - take insect repellent and hit them with it that'll be the end of it.
Staff are fully attentive and friendly, falling over themselves to do things for you. The drinks measures favour alcohol! The variety of drinks is great as is the quality.
The pool area is vast, plenty of beds in shade and sun. The beach is the same. No complaints. Swim up bar provides respite from the heat at times!
A la carte restaurants are fab, particularly Japanese. Get a show table if possible. Adds to the experience. You can book one time at each of them (4 total) per week. Mediterranean, Japanese, Cuban, European. Buffet restaurant had lots of variety but can be a little repetitive so space out the a la carte bookings to mix it up.
Go to the market for gifts. Inexpensive and you can haggle. ADVICE - ***PLEASE*** ask the rep to call Roberto the ginger taxi driver - he is a stand up guy, fantastic command of English, took us to and from the market, and gave us a tour of the city and brief history. About an hours worth of journey for 15CUC (£10ish) - we gave him double and would do the same again. Dunieski the rep has his number - please use him for trips outside the hotel, you won't regret it.
We upgraded to Royal Service for 4 nights at the end of our stay. It cost 105CUC per night (120 if you stay less than 3 nights) about £70 per night. We stayed in one of 6 Cabanas near to the 2 private RS beaches. It is totally private and is incredible. There is a butler service who will do everything from transport to running your bath for you! The restaurant Los Helenchos at RS is miles better than the buffet restaurant in normal service, but it's a la carte so what do you expect. Staff friendly and helpful again. Due to thunderstorm of the century the power went out a couple of times - we called staff and a technician came to assist almost immediately. It was a huge lightning storm so I sort of expected it! Inconvenient yes but nowhere near enough to ruin a holiday as excellent as this.
Pool area is smaller, more sophisticated and more intimate - less people in RS means more serene atmosphere, which was a nice way to end holiday.
Lots of wildlife everywhere - crabs, butterflies, lizards, fish, hummingbirds and we saw 2 very large spiders - afraid of people but look like tarantulas, so be aware you may see them, however rare they are! Mosquitos are present, and still bite - they are more common in RS so just prepare for that, again it's a tropical clime so expect it. Partner got 10 bites in total, and wasn't religious about using repellent, so not a huge issue.
ADVICE - take electrical adapters and plenty of sun cream - you can't buy these things anywhere we saw. VERY small selection of sun cream in hotel shop.
We didn't go on excursions however there was a wide range to choose from, from Havana trip overnight to swimming with dolphins etc. plenty to keep occupied. Scuba diving is included in all inclusive hotel price, you just need to book up.
I feel I have said enough about this hotel to show you that it is sensational. Without a doubt the best hotel I have ever been to, and I am very well travelled, and have never been so sad to leave a place nor so desperate to get back there. We will be back, and recommend you go. Perfect place for a relaxing couples stay. Thank you to everyone who made it what it was - the holiday of a lifetime.

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Jayde S
paradisusri0de0r0, Director General at Paradisus Rio de Oro Resort & Spa, responded to this review, October 11, 2013
Dear Jayde S,
It has been a pleasure reading your review about such an enjoyable stay you had with us!
Thank you for recommending us to other travelers, I am sure you have helped them decide! And do not worry, time passes very fast and soon you will be back in Paradisus Rio de Oro, where we will be waiting for you!
With sincere regards,
Lorenzo Rubio
Also consider these accommodations in or near Holguin
Blau Varadero Hotel Cuba
Royalton Cayo Santa Maria
#1 of 15 in Cayo Santa Maria
Hotel Playa Pesquero Resort, Suite & SPA
Paradisus Princesa del Mar Resort & Spa

Been to Paradisus Rio de Oro Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!