I visited Paradisus Rio de Oro during the last week of September. I booked the royal section, and overall enjoyed a relaxing trip. This hotel is not made for party, but to relax and unwind. There are no young children, and it’s mostly couples. I’ll try to cover the points that I would have found useful to know before booking the trip.
Nice grounds with lots of green. Lots of lizards and crabs running around. Colibris and other birds flying.
Beautiful beaches. Royal one has nice sea raisins trees. "Normal" one has palms. Both have enough places with shade now in September, though I suspect in high season you'll have to get up early to get a shady spot.
Good food. Especially great for seafood lovers. Both the buffet and restaurants were great, though I did prefer eating at restaurants.
Even if the hotel is spread out, it is possible to “order” a golf cart to take you elsewhere, from anywhere with a phone, including the Royal beach. I’ve seen these ordered by older guests, and they come promptly.
Difficult to get away from constant Cuban and old pop music. The only quiet beach with bathrooms close by is the spa one, reserved for spa customers.
There is no coffee or hot drinks on the beach in the Royal section. And there is nowhere close by to get some, unless to get back to the Royal lobby bar or to the restaurant on the other beach.
Not all rooms are cleaned to the same standards. I have declined an upper floor room, close to the lobby, in the Royal service, where room was dirty, with dead flies near the TV, and a dirty, moldy looking mattress. The room I finally spent the week at (ground floor 8812) was very clean, well maintained by the maid, who did an excellent job every day. Don’t be afraid to complain, if you come across any issues, service takes care of the issues immediately.
It is possible exchange the money outside of the operations of the small bank outlet, directly with the hotel for a 3% fee.
Hotel introduced Wi-Fi in both the Royal and the main lobbies. It’s free for Royal service customers, 4.50 CUC an hour for everyone else. (DSL type of speeds, no dial up, faster, but not very fast.)
There is a very quiet secluded beach (though with no bar/drinks/food close by, 5-7 min walk), in between the Royal beach and the Spa beach. It is not exclusive to Royal customers, so if you are looking for max quiet, this is the best beach to go.
Royal service upgrade is worth if you would like more private section with drink/lunch service on the beach, more attentive private service, and nicer more modern rooms. There is entertainment, usually piano/singers at the Royal lobby every night. Drinks service is a lot quicker, too. I found the upgrade was worth the money spent.
After speaking with some other travelers, it is cheaper to book Royal upgrade on the spot for travelers from UK/Europe. However, no real price difference for Canadians, at least when I was there (It was actually slightly cheaper to book the upgrade directly from Canada).
Closest way to get to the coral to snorkel, is from the SPA beach. Look for the yellow buoyants. You’ll need to be a strong swimmer to go back and forth. Catamaran excursions stop there to snorkel (if you’ll take one). Closer to the beach there is nothing much to see, only small fish and a few small corals. All the interesting “stuff” is further from the beach.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located in the Bahia de Naranjo Natural Park, in Playa Esmeralda, on the northern coast of Holguin province. Five-Star Ultra All Inclusive Eco-Resort with 354 rooms. Conceived only for adults aged 18 years or more. Maximum comfort and perfection in its private Royal Service area for a fabulous experience in a world apart. Recommended for weddings, honeymoons, incentive trips and wellness/spa. Guest Rooms 354 rooms: 254 Junior Suites, 24 Luxury Junior Suites, 16 Luxury Junior Suites Ocean View, 2 Suites Deluxe, 36 Master Junior Suites Royal Service, 14 Master Junior Suites Ocean View Royal Service, 6 Master Junior Suites Luxury Royal Service, 2 Garden Villas Royal Service. Dining: 8 Restaurants (A la Carte, Buffet), 5 Bars. ... more less
- Also Known As:
- Paradisus Rio De Oro Hotel Holguin
- Paradisus Rio De Oro Resort And Spa
- Paradisus Hotel Guardalavaca
- Rio De Oro Paradisus
- Paradisus Rio De Oro Cuba
- Hotel Paradisus Rio De Oro
- Paradisus Rio De Oro Resort & Spa Cuba/Holguin