“Paradisus - Royal Service”

Paradisus Rio de Oro Resort & Spa
Ranked #1 of 10 Hotels in Holguin
Telford, United Kingdom
“Paradisus - Royal Service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 10, 2013

This was our first visit to this resort so decided to go all the way and book the RS part. We were not disappointed!

To be fair we found very little to fault at this hotel apart from the dreaded reserving sun loungers round the pool. Food was the best we have found in cuba, service ALWAYS with a smile and prompt. Scenery is breath-taking not to mention the beaches (although not our favourite beach, all the little caves in and around the RS beach, secret beach and spa beach are fascinating). Round the pool you are served fruit skewers and canapés before lunch. They also did this little routine at the rs beach but not the spa or secret beach.

Rooms were light and spacious, beds very comfortable. We were lucky enough to have an ocean view room and to hear the ocean during the evening; early morning whilst drinking your coffee was really relaxing. The wardrobe wasn't floor length however so if you have long dresses you will either have to fidget with the hangers which was easy enough or hang them in half, no big deal. No paying for the safe either.

The RS restaurant was wonderful as was the El Patio in the main resort followed by the Japanese. We didn't rate the Mediterranean to be honest and can't comment on the Cuban as we cancelled our reservation due to it being outdoors (was frightened of getting bit to shreds from mozzies as usual but this year I had hardly any!).

The spa was wonderful (heads up to Rolando who was absolutely great all day, from getting us drinks all day to giving us our foot bath/massage). Loved it, slight maintenance needed to the pool AND get there early if you want a bed in the shade cause they get reserved early by non spa quests.

We did visit the main pool but to be honest it could do with some maintenance but it was usable. Plenty of shade and beds to be had. Pool bar service great!
We enjoyed a few games of pool but after that we went back up the hill as the entertainment was so loud you couldn't really converse without shouting. Bar tenders were very attentive and remembered us even after one night - we didn't return again to the main bar for a few nights - drinks were on the bar waiting with a smile (and no we were not big tippers!) For the staff and service alone I can see why people return year on year.

We spoiled ourselves with RS and can certainly see the difference between the main and RS. I would go back BUT to the RS because it was an experience that I doubt the main resort could rival. Saying that I would have been more than happy with the main resort had we been there too.

Fab place, you won't regret booking. There is far too much to cover! Norma was a fab manager and we were lucky enough to meet her as well as the food and drink manager.

5 Thank cubaqueen
paradisusri0de0r0, Director General at Paradisus Rio de Oro Resort & Spa, responded to this review, September 15, 2013
Dear Cubaqueen,
I thank you very much sharing your Royal Service experience with other travelers in Trip Advisor. We will all be looking forward to having you back in Paradisus Rio de Oro Resort & Spa for your next relaxing holidays!
With best regards,
Lorenzo Rubio

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,176)
  • Polish first
Toronto, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 10, 2013

I am shocked at the positive reviews for this resort. I am guessing that these people haven't ever been to a good quality resort before! I am no stranger to Paradisus hotels. I stayed at their Playa Conchal Resort in Costa Rica a few times before it was bought by Westin, and even got married there, bringing 65 guests with us! PHENOMENAL resort. That is what I expect of Paradisus. I am SHOCKED that this is one of theirs.

I will start off with the positives: My sister and I still had a good time. We would not let anything spoil our vacation. We had a great time hanging by the pool all day. It was exactly what we wanted: quiet and relaxing. We met some really nice people, and I must say ALL of the wait staff, bartending staff, and cleaning staff were superb and friendly. The spa was good enough, and we enjoyed nice massages.

Now the nitty-gritty: This was our first time to Cuba. It is a country I'd love to visit again. The people were very nice, and going into Holguin City was a lot of fun. But if this is the best resort that Cuba has to offer, I won't be back! But I will say, I didn't know before going that Cuba is actually known for having the worst food. Lesson learned.

Because I only have 200 characters I won't get into too many details and will be brief.
1. Reception staff are rude, not knowledgeable, and ignore you. We were lied to by this staff, stood there waiting to be acknowledged while they chat or fiddle with papers. No concept of customer service.
2. My pre-booked restaurant reservations which I had the PRINTED CONFIRMATION from them with me got "lost". I was told the "never got it", even though I had the proof right there. Had to make all new ones and got stuff at the crummy buffet for 3 nights in a row.
3. Claim to have vegetarian options, but NOT TRUE! Not a one on any menus as an entree, When we asked wait staff, they looked at us like we had 2 heads. Ended up with the same crappy grilled vegetable plate every night. Only saving grace was the Japanese restaurant.
4. I knew the rooms are outdated..and that's fine. But our room has the STENCH of mustiness and dampness, and our bathroom smelled like a urinal (sorry guys!)
5. Food at buffet and restaurants (except Japanese) is not good at all. My sister is a strict vegetarian so she had it worse. I eat seafood. It was NOT good. I can't believe the meat was any better as it looked gross.
6. Though we enjoyed the pool, it is in serious need of renovation and the bottom needs to be re-done.
7. Our last day, our shuttle was not picking us up until 1:30pm for the airport. Check out is at 12noon. As you would do at any hotel or resort (especially when it is only at 50% occupancy OR LESS), we asked for late checkout only be ONE HOUR. They had the NERVE to ask for $18 for us to have our room for 1 hour more. HUGE LACK OF CUSTOMER SERVICE.

Believe me all, for the price you pay here, you can go to a MUCH nicer resort somewhere else. They don't care about the customer or their experience. They have a customer service desk in the lobby that NO ONE ever sat at...and no hours posted.

Do yourself a favour and go elsewhere.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
11 Thank irishkatie80
paradisusri0de0r0, Director General at Paradisus Rio de Oro Resort & Spa, responded to this review, September 16, 2013
Dear irishkatie80,
Thank you for your comments. We are deeply sorry we did not meet your expectations during your holidays in our resort.
Normally when clients have special requests related to food restrictions (vegetarian, celiac, allergic, etc) we offer them several options and give daily follow up. About smells in your bathroom, we have not had any reports about this, but anyways we appreciate your comment and are looking into it.
We are aware of the pool situation, since Sandy, the last hurricane that hit the area, seriously damaged the pool; therefore we have the plan of a total renovation of the pool in 2014.
About the food, each individual has its own likes, and the majority of our guests, who by the way, have experience in luxury and high class resorts, state that food in all our restaurants, including buffet, is varied and delicious. Anyways comments are always welcome and taken into account, but we would really like to specifically know your particular likes.
Despite your experience, our staff and I would like to have you back to enjoy all we have to offer!
Best regards,
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 6, 2013

If you need one word to sum up this resort, it is simply ‘Paradise’. They are classed as the best hotel in Cuba, and after spending our honeymoon there, I can see why.

When we arrived, we were greeted with a cold towel, and a glass of champagne, just what was needed after the hour ride from the airport. Check in took less than 5 minutes for all 20 or so guests on the coach, and within minutes we were being whisked to our room, by a porter on one of their many electric carts.

I’ve read some reviews of this hotel, where people were complaining about the state of the rooms. Yes some of the bathrooms are a little dated, however, the bath and shower were both hot and powerful, the separate dressing area was clean and well appointed, and the room was large, airy and comfortable. The air conditioning could easily cope with the 33 degree heat, not to mention the 85% humidity. We found this very comfortable, and the mini bar is restocked daily, at no charge. If you wanted something extra in your room, champagne for example, this was not a problem, quick call to reception, and 5 minutes later a porter arrives with a bottle and 2 glasses.

As we were honeymooners, our bed was turned down every night at no extra charge, and the creations the maids create with the towels are breathtaking. These ranged from the standard swan, to a couple made from the towels and flowers, complete with eyes, to the lovely ‘BYE’ on our last night.

The 4 al-a-carte restaurants are great, and included in the all inclusive rate. The only draw back is you can only go to each one, once a week. All the drink is also included in these restaurants, however if you want to buy a special bottle of wine of champagne, that can be ordered, and paid for when you check out of the hotel.

The main buffet never disappointed, if this be breakfast, lunch or dinner. There was always something different every day, but still a massive choice to suit even the fussiest of dinners.

The beach bar is great for lunch, and there is live music being played, more often than not. This is also the venue for the ad hoc ‘Hog roasts’, usually Friday lunch, which is the perfect setting, as it overlooks the beach, and beautiful clear blue sea.

If you want something less formal for lunch, just nip to the truly excellent pool bar, for pizza, burgers, etc, all made fresh to order.

All these facilities have bars, but don’t worry there is always the swim up bar at the pool, if you just can’t leave the water. Don’t worry, the bar staff at all the bars are attentive enough that you don’t normally even have to request another beer, as your glass is refilled, almost without even asking. Which is nice.

The main lobby bar is open 24 hours, with live music from around 6pm, every night, and always some activities for you to get involved in, if you wish. There is no pressure to participate.

The entertainments staff are excellent, and the laid on activities should suit every desire. These range from archery and yoga, to horse riding, and beach parties. It should also be pointed out that waters sports, and scuba diving are included in the all inclusive price, with no limitations. You can literally go scuba diving every day if you wish. Several guests at the hotel did just that!! There are also daily starter classes in the pool, before you are taken out to the coral reefs. Again, no charge.

There are other activities that incur a small charge, horse riding for example, however for the costs of 10 Pesco’s, around £7.50, you get a 2 hour trek through the nature reserve with refreshments. This was a truly memorable experience.

There is an onsite shop for any essentials you may need, including those bottles of rum to take home, and also an onsite Cigar shop. Be warned, the rum and cigarettes are cheaper in the shop, however we found the same cigars we bought, were available half the cost at duty free.

The internet at this hotel is virtually nonexistent. There is a rumour of WIFI becoming available in the lobby with a charge, but as the onsite internet cafe has only dial-up, this may not be that good. Take this as an opportunity to escape from Facebook for a while, you won’t regret it.

The pool is large, with plenty of sun loungers, both under cover and not, with ample beds to relax away from the sun. The pool is cleaned daily, and well maintained. There are also several Jacuzzi’s, including one that overlooks the sea. These are complemented by several little hide-away spots, in little cabins that overlook the sea.

The beach is only a half dozen steps down from the pool, and is the typical golden stands, and clear crystal waters. Again plenty of sun loungers, and cover if required.

We were offered a tour of the Royal suites and Spa, and after taking the tour, although very lovely, we could not justify the increased cost for the upgrade. It is somewhere near double if not treble the costs, and as you already have the great quality, it just did not seem worth it. Several guests from the Royal service spend their time at the rest of the hotel, as the atmosphere is simply better.

The staff simply cannot do enough for you, and all speak very good English, with a smattering of French and German thrown in for good measure. There is a tipping culture here, but it is not forced on you. If you wish to leave a tip do, if not, there is no taboo. Remember the average Cuban, make around 30 Pesco’s a moth, so don’t go crazy, spread your tips around all the staff, inc the chefs, etc. They all deserve something.

Please remember that this hotel is ADULTS ONLY, meaning there are no screaming kids at dinner, and no kids running and splashing in the pool. We have children of our own, however it was great just to go to a kid free resort, and really relax with like minded people.

The few locals we met, were warm and friendly. This is a military dictatorship, but at no point did we see any evidence of this. To put it simply, Cuba is a great country, filled with warm, friendly people. If you get the chance, go, you won’t regret it.

Room Tip: Try and get a corner junior suite. you have a larger living room and balcony.
11 Thank matarget
PRO_Managment, Director General at Paradisus Rio de Oro Resort & Spa, responded to this review, September 30, 2013
Dear Matarget,

With great satisfaction I have read about your amazing experience lived recently at Paradisus Rio de Oro!
About escaping from Facebook as you say, maybe next time will not be possible because I am very happy to tell you that we already have WiFi!!!!
Receive special greetings from all our staff and I, who look forward to seeing you again soon!

Wales
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2013

This was our second visit to the PRDO and we will defiantly be back for a third. I can add nothing to the other reviews except to agree that this place is special. For those who enjoy scuba diving l would like to say a little about the diving opportunities as this aspect is not covered in previous reviews. Plus the diving gave me a very magical experience.

Scuba diving is provided free to all guests of the PRDO who have an international certification like PADI. You book your diving in the activity hut near the pool. There are 2 dives each morning, the first is a deep dive to 30m, the second a shallow dive to about 15m. A bus from the dive school does a pick up for each dive to take you to Playa Pesquero, about 20 minutes away.

The dive centre is well kitted out with everything you need. Don’t worry about bringing your own stuff, it’s all there. The BCD’s were all new this year and tanks are all aluminium. There are about 25 dive sites, all accessed from a well equipped, fast dive boat. The furthest site is about 15 minutes from Playa Pesquero. Some are adjacent to the PRDO beach at Playa Esmeralda.

The dive sites are all very good and quite varied, from soft and hard coral reefs to caves and swim-throughs and wrecks. The dive school is very professional and very safe. They cater for all abilities and will endeavour to meet all of your needs. My wife who does not dive was allowed to accompany us on the boat and snorkel whilst we dived.

I managed to fit 15 dives into my 2 week stay at the PRDO. The highlight of which was an encounter with a 6m whale shark just 300m off the beach. The shark was cruising the reef in very shallow water; the bottom depth was only 15m. Our dive master guide said they had not spotted a large whale shark in these waters for quite some time and never so close to the shore. This was a magical experience and one which I felt extremely privileged to have had.

If you are interested to see the whale shark we spotted just off the beach, go to YouTube and paste in: Whale Shark 300m off Playa Pesquero Cuba

Don’t hesitate to stay at the PRDO if you like a top quality peaceful hotel with ample opportunities to dive for free. We will certainly return.

Room Tip: All rooms are great but the Royal Service sea view ones are the best. If you fancy a treat, book in...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
8 Thank Mufty99
Dear Mufty99,

Thank you so much for your review and letting us know about such a magical experience you enjoyed! It will be a big pleasure to have you back next year!

With my best regards,

Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2013

Stayed one week in September 2012 in the royal service and my wife and i were amazed at the great service we received by everyone at this hotel.Beaches of which there are several from the small private ones on the royal side featuring drinks and food brought to you by your butler or the beach concierge or the larger main beach off the lower main hotel were all great.food at the main buffet was the best we have had in Cuba ever,a la cartes were divine,but the royal service restaurant beats them handily.Our room was huge,bathroom was huge with 2 sinks on opposite sides of the room and an outdoor private (Balanise)shower on our balcony.The included scuba diving was superb even though it was a short drive away i used it as much as i could.My wife did a bird watching outing organized by the hotel and it was also included. almost forget to mention the drinks and ice cream brought to you by or in the pool throughout the day!Holguin is a beautiful part of Cuba with good snorkeling right off the beach.PRDO has well trained staff willing to help in any way possible and we can not wait to return later this month.

Room Tip: Pamper yourself with a royal service room and you will be pleased.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
6 Thank timbo114ca
Dear timbo114ca,

Thank you very much for your review. All our staff is waiting for you as your next holidays are so close! It will be our pleasure to receive your news or requests.
See you very soon in Paradisus Rio de Oro Resort & Spa!

Toronto
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2013

Hey all!

It's 2013 and I've returned to my most favourite resort, not only in Cuba, in my experience!

I do, and have, virtually only visited five star resorts and, when travelling alone, Club Meds around the world.

I have been here two times before and according to the rules of the forum had to erase my former review to review my last experience with Rio De Oro.

My favourite aspects of the resort still stand; the staff is incredible, professional, open and a pleasure. Kudos to Annabelle in animation.

If you enjoy snorkelling...omg, there is a reef just 10 meters off of the resort that is terrific!

It was damaged when I came in 2009 from a hurricane but it is more than coming back and almost to the beauty of what I experienced in ....hmmm...2007?

Scuba is included!

For those who aren't certified you can try it out in the pool and try it off site in a shallow dive; heck every day if there is room!

I am certified and was able to be part of 30 meter dives.

For my other trips at RDO the scuba was offered off of the resort beach, and as mentioned, now it is offered about a half hour bus ride away.

The diving was fun and the boat that took you off of the beach was fast! You were in the water in a matter of ten minutes and those that took care of us there were amiable. I felt so comfortable and welcomed.

Are those at the resort willing to please?

Heck ya!

I brought my tennis racket down to play and they found someone who worked there who could play with me. (In reality, it was too hot to play but I was so impressed).

Unfortunately I experienced some downsides of things that I might not have under different circumstances but it did give me heed to things that I have taken for granted, not only in other tropical countries but in Cuba itself.

My companion became ill, not through the fault of the resort or Cuba, however we realized how difficult it was that there is no air conditioned lunch area in the main resort. (there is in the Royal section which is an extra expense.)

Most resorts offer the option of eating in an air conditioned area.

Rio De Oro does not have an air conditioned area outside of your room from breakfast till just before dinner if you get a restaurant that you can book sometimes at night. If you are older, can't tolerate the heat constantly, are sick, or become sick you are out of luck.

This type of thing is understandable in resorts that are less than five star, just as having a warm bath is expected in a five star resort.

Which brings me to this point...

From 1-5 there was no warm water in our room. I did not complain but realized that when we left and got a courtesy room at the end of our vacation in a totally different area....dang....that room too did not have hot water early afternoon.

For any Canadians going down, I was aware that American Credit Cards were not accepted in Cuba but even though my Mastercard is handled in Canada and I applied from a Canadian website it still is ultimately owned by an American company and was refused.

Make sure that your credit card can be used in Cuba because we did have to deal with paying for medical assistance for my companion out of pocket and we were left with the inability to pay for any upgrades to have lunch in the Royal Section which was air conditioned...so for many days we had to eat breakfast, lunch and dinner in our room.

Staff did what they could do under management, but being a visitor to their establishment for the third time and with proof of medical intervention....kinda wished for the extra mile. Did get minor concessions, not because I got the feeling that they were uncaring but feeling that front line people were not allowed to make executive decisions.

In all fairness, I did ask for the manager but on the days needed, we were told it was his day off.

I do choose my vacation companies based on flight times. I was thrilled to know that since I was a Melia member, that if the resort was not fully booked we could have a five o'clock late check out. Rio De Oro was in it's slack time, definitely less than fifty percent capacity.

Actually we only needed to check out by 3, but it is terrific to be able to cool off and get ready in your room before you leave. It WAS one of the reasons I chose the package I did; I knew I could check out later. Ain't that great?

Yet....

I asked more than once, and did point out that Rio De Oro was not posted as an exception on the Melia website. I was told at front desk that only Cuba hotels in the city support that part of Melias membership and that....Melia resorts outside of the main cities don't make that much money soooo....they don't honour the membership privileges that the website suggests.

I did ask to speak to the manager but...I hit his day off again.

I think both times it was a Sunday, yes we were there for two weeks, however if a manager is not there I would think that there would be someone in charge who could make an executive decision.

I have worked in customer service and realize that you can only help as much as management allows you to help.

Rio De Oro, you need to have some area that is available for lunch that is air conditioned. I can't think of a five star resort that doesn't have an air conditioned eating area for breakfast and lunch. I have read in the reviews that this is a concern that has been mentioned before.

In closing...

I will stand behind the reality that staff makes the difference, and the Rio De Oro staff is second to none!

They are fantastic!

The Melia chain is going to have to bump it up so their hard working staff has something to work with.

The Rio De Oro has the BEST snorkelling just off from the resort that I have ever experienced.
Overwhelming in 2007, really damaged in 2009, way coming back in 2013.

In all fairness....

Rio De Oro has been the ONLY resort I have ever revisited outside of Club Med because of their sports programs.

I like trying new places, but Rio De Oro had a special spot for me. I've brought my son and daughter in law here, visited it with one of my best friends, and been there with a companion.

I don't think I will return, but cha never know. If I was planning a trip with someone who was not the strongest swimmer but wanted to experience fantastic snorkelling just off of a beach, I might come back.

Quasi

However, it's been a spectacular run.

Room Tip: Been here three times and all rooms were equal. Moderately sized resort, not loud nightlife, all ro...
6 Thank Quasimodem
paradisusri0de0r0, Director General at Paradisus Rio de Oro Resort & Spa, responded to this review, September 17, 2013
Dear Quasimodem,
We were glad to have you with us for the 3rd time!
I thank you for your comments shared with other travelers, which are always welcome, nevertheless, some surprise me because when you came to us about your companion not feeling well and the uncomfortable it was for him to have lunch without air conditioning we did gave you the possibility of having lunch in our Royal Service restaurant, as an exceptional gesture with you.
We did not have reports of lack of hot water in your room, 4021, during your stay, as of August 8th , anyways, we will look into it again.
We are very sorry that your credit card did not work in Cuba for being related to a US bank. And it is not due to any laws in the island but restrictions imposed precisely by US! All tour operators give this information to their clients, as well as the web pages of the hotels, and also even clients who have been at the hotel or Cuba before let others know.
Anyways, we invite you to return to our hotel again and enjoy all it has to offer, as your satisfaction is our main goal.
With best regards,
Chesterfield
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2013

We agree with the previous reviewer, Susan L, we also were staying at PRDO in May 2012 and May 2013, to be fair, can't remember if we did bump into them sometime during our holiday. lol Must agree about the quality of food, the staff and the RS is outstanding!!!!! The a la carte restaurants are all excellent, and the staff go out of their way to make sure your holiday is 1st class. The number of guests the staff must see on an annual basis, but they DO recognise you when you go back and I can assure you, once you have been, you will return!!!!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Cynthia L
Dear DomingoChesterfield,

Thank you so much for your review. All our staff and I would be honored to see you again soon and make you feel at “home away from home”! Please, let us know as you make plans.

Lorenzo Rubio
Also consider these accommodations in or near Holguin
Royalton Cayo Santa Maria
Melia Buenavista
Melia Buenavista
#2 of 15 in Cayo Santa Maria
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,499 reviews

Been to Paradisus Rio de Oro Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!