Me and my Boyfriend had our holiday from the 29th Sept to the 14th of October.
We did really enjoy our holiday and thought that the region was absolutely beautiful. We were lucky enough to miss the Hurricane and only had two thunder storms, both in the second week.
Were excellent, so so friendly and helpful. Our Rep Angel was so helpful and friendly, he seemed to remember everyones name which was a great touch. He also found out it was my birthday while I was on holiday and arranged for a bottle of champagne (fizzy wine) and a few flowers be sent to the room. All the staff wished me a happy birthday and I was very touched.
The only staff I wasn't so keen on were a few of the bar staff. They didn't seem very happy at people asking for the premium brands ad we witnessed them hiding them under the bar so that people had to make do with something else. My boyfriend also wanted a whiskey with his expensive cigar but was told that this would be chargable. After paying what we did for our holiday we were kind of put out that he couldn't have one whiskey!
THE ROOM: 3916
While our room was clean and spacious I was dissapointed that it was two beds pushed together and not a double. After a few days I got over this. The air conditioning was good in our room, wasn't too noisey. We did however have a few cockroaches in even after the room was sprayed a few times, they were dying so it wasn't too bad. We also had a Tarantula visit us but that was on the balcony and I found it rather exciting and strangely cute.
I was however very dissapointed with the bathroom, this was more 3 star, shower wasn't powerful and the drain in the middle of the floor smelled whenever water was running.
I have to agree with a previous review - the pillows did smell funny. They didn't stop me sleeping though.
I have to be honest, I am a fussy eater and i found the food ok. There was something for everyone and I quite enjoyed the pasta station. There were lots of birdsflying in the restaurant and I must admit that I didn't see any bird poo but did wander if they done it on the food as people left the netting up and some birds ate off the food plates.
The Japanese restaurant was our favourite and we went twice in one week. We also went to the Royal Service restaurant twice, once on my birthday and once on the last night. The food was excellent quality but we were dissapointed that the menu never changed the 2nd week. We tried the Cuban restaurant and did not like it at all. the food, service and atmosphere was lacking.
The Pool and Beach Snack bar were by far the best places for lunch. Far better quality than the buffet.
I thought the beach was lovely, there was plenty to see in the water, my other half saw a huge Baracuda as well as lots of colourful fish. The water was clean as was the sand.
The pool was fine, there was alot of chipped paint as i've read in other reviews but it was clean and for me that is the main thing.
We did find it difficuilt to get one of the double sun beds but one day i managed to get one that a member of staff was keeping for others. They had obviously tipped him to do so as he asked us if we wanted the bed kept for the next day - obviously wanting a tip. We didn't think this was very fair as everyone should have an equal chance rather than the same people on them the whole fortnight - which did happen.
We went on the Paradise Island trip and really enjoyed it. It was so picture perfect and the staff were knowledgeable and helpful.
So all in all, the place was really good. We kind of wished we'd booked the Royal Service as we were hoping for a bit more luxuary. Unfortunately I caught a virus on holiday and was ill the 2nd week and when I got home. This was a bit of an ordeal which i think has put me off a bit. The Dr on site was helpful ad didn't cost alot of money, the consultation was free, we only had to pay for medication.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located in the Bahia de Naranjo Natural Park, in Playa Esmeralda, on the northern coast of Holguin province. Five-Star Ultra All Inclusive Eco-Resort with 354 rooms. Conceived only for adults aged 18 years or more. Maximum comfort and perfection in its private Royal Service area for a fabulous experience in a world apart. Recommended for weddings, honeymoons, incentive trips and wellness/spa. Guest Rooms 354 rooms: 254 Junior Suites, 24 Luxury Junior Suites, 16 Luxury Junior Suites Ocean View, 2 Suites Deluxe, 36 Master Junior Suites Royal Service, 14 Master Junior Suites Ocean View Royal Service, 6 Master Junior Suites Luxury Royal Service, 2 Garden Villas Royal Service. Dining: 8 Restaurants (A la Carte, Buffet), 5 Bars. ... more less
- Also Known As:
- Paradisus Rio De Oro Hotel Holguin
- Paradisus Rio De Oro Resort And Spa
- Paradisus Hotel Guardalavaca
- Rio De Oro Paradisus
- Paradisus Rio De Oro Cuba
- Hotel Paradisus Rio De Oro
- Paradisus Rio De Oro Resort & Spa Cuba/Holguin