“few minor issues, all in all superb, would go back!!”

Paradisus Rio de Oro Resort & Spa
Ranked #1 of 10 Hotels in Holguin
Cheshire, United Kingdom
“few minor issues, all in all superb, would go back!!”
Reviewed October 1, 2012

I have been to a few all inclusive resorts now and would say that this one was by far the best for the following reasons:- 24 hour room service at no extra cost, amazing. Superb staff in all areas, can't do enough for you. Great facilities. 24 hour bar. Good food. Great excursions. Nice big room with fridge replenished every day with beer and soft drinks plus you can order more drinks from room service whenver you want to put in the fridge!! little or no mosquitos as they spray the resort every day. The rooms are cleaned every day and were nice a big if a little tired but no problems with them at all had everything we needed. I would say that the minor issues were simply that there was no diet drinks and no tonic to have with my gin for the first part of the holiday. Men have to wear long trousers in the evening which was harsh on my partner as he had only brought jeans with him. Buy some linen trousers and you'll be fine but I do think that the men should have been allowed to wear shorts as long as they wore shirts as some women dressed as if they'd just come off the beach which did not seem fair! We didn't book the royal service we just ate there one night for extra cost and it was mediocre so I am glad we didn't pay all that money to stay there as some of the people we met had said that it was too quiet in that area so came to join us but their rooms were superb compared to ours but for the extra money perhaps not entirely worth paying that just for the nice room and the 24 hour butler, depends what you want I guess. All in all a fab holiday and I would definitely think about a return visit which is not normally something we would ever consider!! Take lots of pesos or pound coins with you as all the staff earn next to nothing and the chamber maids and bar staff are probably the richest of the lot where tips are concerned so tip the gardener, security, the manager and the reception staff if need be!! If you've booked this already you're in for a treat it's fabulous

18 Thank Petal0570
paradisusri0de0r0, Manager at Paradisus Rio de Oro Resort & Spa, responded to this review, May 14, 2016
Old review, thank you.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,187)
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Hastings, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 30, 2012

My wife and I returned less than a week ago from this amazing hotel. Very clean hotel throughout. Staff very friendly and nothing is to much. All staff speak and acknowledge you are there. The food is second to none. A brilliant location for a relaxing holiday

Room Tip: Upper corner rooms have a much better view
13 Thank 513graham1952
ParadisusRioDeOro, General Manager at Paradisus Rio de Oro Resort & Spa, responded to this review, October 6, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for giving us and other readers of Trip Advisor your very positive comments about Paradisus Río de Oro.

I am glad to know that you found our staff to be friendly and our premises clean the hotel through.

We are looking forward to welcome you back at Paradisus Río de Oro.

Eduardo Perera castro
Scotland
Reviewed September 27, 2012

My wife and I first came to Cuba back in 2009 where we spent the first 3 days in Havana and the remaining 10 days at the Sol Luna Y Mares. We returned to the island this time for a straight two weeks at PRDO as we were very impressed with the beach and hotel when we were here the last time.
I contacted the hotel a couple of months prior to arrange an upgrade to the Deluxe Junior Suites - payable on arrival, which is far, far cheaper than booking with First Choice and, personally speaking, well worth it. I also made provisional bookings for the a la carte restaurants. So with that, and the fact that we had also upgraded to Premium Class for the flights, we were all set to go.
We had booked in to the Radisson (Manchester) the night before so took advantage of the early check-in facility on offer – checked-in luggage that night.
Flight was really good, as it always has been (so far) when we have travelled long haul with First Choice, good food and in-flight entertainment, no complaints. This upgrade, again for us, is worth it.
We had booked private transport from the airport so we were able to leave in good time and arrived at the hotel well before the masses. Check in, cold drink/refreshing cloth and buggy to the accommodation all within 10 mins. Perfect.
I will not go into any great depth about the hotel facilities, because if you’re planning to go here you will already have done your homework, hopefully.
The standard of accommodation is satisfactory (yes – a bit tired) but far better than the sister hotel Melia Santiago de Cuba which we stayed in as part of our two day trip to that city. Great people who accompanied us on the trip, which made up for the slightly disappointing visit/tour.
We spent most of our time at the beach or in the ‘back garden’ sunning it, so can’t really comment on the main pool other than it wasn’t all that busy when we were there and sun lounger availability didn’t seem to be a problem.
The staff are definitely what makes this hotel, and as far as tipping goes, I don’t think it made any difference to the service my wife and I received, which was always first class.
I thought the buffet restaurant was good as were the a la carte’s with the ‘International’ being our favourite – both for service and food.
The beach was a massive disappointment. Sun loungers were squeezed into a very small area because of the effects of erosion from the tide which left a small area in which to put the beds out. Land has had to be reclaimed from the back, wooded side which underfoot is now very hot because of the earth/sand mix compared to the beach sand which is never hot. The original steps down from the swimming pool area to the beach are defunct as they lead directly onto the rocks now. Altogether not very appealing.
My main gripe about the hotel was the amount of people who did not dress as per the dress code at the a la carte restaurants and buffet restaurant. The dress code is quite clearly mentioned in all documentation relating to the hotel, both at the time of booking and at the hotel itself, no matter what country you come from. Why then do so many disregard this, it’s beyond me. The hotel staff should take a harder line on this as it is a bit hit-and-miss to say the least. It also seems that the dress standard is aimed solely at the male population, because certain younger females seemed to dress as they pleased, some wearing beach clothing at the evening buffet service to give one example. While I don’t wish to appear a whinging old fart, I do think that if you have booked to stay at a certain class of hotel you must abide by the rules otherwise what is the point of having them in the first place. If you want to wear tee shirts and shorts at evening meals, go to another hotel - Magaluf perhaps? – it’s quite simple.
To summarise; fantastic flight (in and out), super friendly people, great service, good hotel, nice room, average entertainment, poor beach (move up to Sol Luna Y Mares beach) .
Now we've done the ‘Cuban thing’, time to return to the Maldives I think or even further afield. Bora Bora in French Polynesia would be the preferred choice - when the lottery win comes up of course.
Any Q’s please PM me.

Room Tip: Deluxe Junior Suite on the lagoon side for sunshine all day.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
7 Thank capercaillie
Reading, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 27, 2012

By Cuban standards this hotel unquestionably merits its 5 stars; indeed it may well be the best hotel in the entire country and the hotel's management and staff deserve a lot of credit and praise for their efforts to achieve this. You will definitely get value for your money here. But take note of the phrase, "by Cuban standards". If you come with European 5-star expectations then you will find a few problems, but more of this later.

The hotel itself is set in an expansive and beautifully landscaped park on the Playa Esmeralda coast. Much of the natural environment was left undisturbed and incorporated into the park. Most of the rooms are in widely-spaced 2-storey blocks of 16 rooms while the remainder comprise single-storey bungalows of 2 suites each. There is also a separate "Royal Service" area of premium suites. Most of the coastal boundary is low limestone cliff with 3 beautiful coral sand beaches. Offshore, there is extensive coral reef for snorkelling or diving although, sadly and in common with much of the Caribbean, these reefs are struggling to survive. The hotel exists in a natural tropical environment so you can expect to encounter a fascinating menagerie of wildlife from lizards and geckos, a dazzling variety of birds, rodents and land crabs. And the sea - of course - is teeming with fish. No mosquitos in evidence because the park is "fogged" regularly. All in all it's a wonderful environment. Bear in mind you're in a tropical environment, so if exotic wildlife gives you the creeps then go somewhere cold instead.

Live entertainment is provided every night in a dedicated cabaret area. There are four à la carte restaurants of various themes and a huge buffet service restaurant. The menu choices are very wide. There is a large pool area with another restaurant/bar attached and the pool has a bar where you can swim up, slap down your fags and lighter, show off yer tats, and hit the all-inclusive booze from about 9am onwards (if that's your thing - and it seems it is for some). Plenty of sunbeds - at least during our off-season visit - although we noticed plenty of those were wearing towels from an early hour. The main beach is also well sunbedded and with permanent umbrellas. The beach also offers another restaurant/bar and a watersports centre (catamarans, pedaloes, and the like). Lovely warm clear sea with plenty of snorkelling opportunities. The hotel's spa is well worth a visit - and great value.

Our room was well-appointed, spacious and comfortable. It was seaward facing although the sea view was mostly obscured by trees. That's not really a problem because we didn't spend a lot of time in it. There was air conditioning, a flat-screen TV, a fridge stocked with beer, soft drinks, and bottled water, and a coffee maker. All the boxes have been ticked on the tour operators' 5-star assessment forms.

Service from the hotel's staff is warm, friendly, and informal in the local tradition, and you will find regular tipping of staff raises the level of this significantly. This is fair enough, since - it appears - Cubans are not generally well paid for their work.

So far so good. All in all, it's a lovely place to spend 2 weeks and few would not enjoy it. We would recommend the hotel to others and would happily return ourselves. There were some issues which caused us to rate at 4, rather than 5 out 5. We'll mention them in the hope that the hotel will take this as helpful feedback and something they can perhaps work on.

Rooms: We understand the hotel is now 12 or so years old, and our room was showing real signs of wear and tear - especially the bathroom. We understand that Cuba has a culture of making things last and not wasting resources (very sensible really), but unfortunately European expectations are different especially where bathrooms are concerned. Re-stocking the room with drinks, coffee, toiletries, etc. was a bit hit and miss. Sometimes it's done, sometimes not. A/C and fridge were noisy so we turned both off at night.

Food: The quality of the food is just not 5-star. It's just OK. Again, Cuba is not a gourmet culture and the hotel clearly has occasional supply problems with various ingredients. The à la carte restaurants serve beautifully presented meals in exquisite surroundings but the food quality is much the same. Not everyone is a "foodie" so you may be quite happy with what's on offer.

Service: Also a bit hit-and-miss at times. Sometimes, you wait a long time for a drink and sometimes not. Being a regular tipper does a lot to help with this.

Smokers: In common with most holiday resort hotels, much of the bar/restaurant areas are open to the air which always leaves us with the tiresome business of having to change tables to get upwind of the smokers. So VERY high praise to this hotel for designating its resturants and a large part of the bar and lobby as no smoking areas - excellent! Unfortunately this demarcation is sporadically enforced by the staff and the smokers (with their typical lack of consideration for others) frequently ignore the restriction. We inhaled a lot of second-hand smoke during our stay which is pretty unpleasant. If you are a smoker, please spare a thought for those who aren't and stick to the designated areas.

12 Thank RichardMer
Aldershot, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 26, 2012

Given all the raving reviews on this hotel I was very surprised when I didn't feel quite the same. I really wanted to love this place but unfortunately, for me, there were quite a few negatives, which given the cost of the holiday/hotel rating, did not seem right

Note - I did not stay at the Royal Service part of the Hotel. It was a 2 week Holiday in a Deluxe room. I'm aged 33 which may put into perspective some of my views

My view of Positives
- Hotel creates a great first impression. It really looks the part upon arrival. In some cases their attention to detail is amazing but its not always consitent as I will elaborate in my view of the negatives. e.g Cut Flowers on tables, in fountains, cleaner leaves towel decorations in room
- The bedroom part of the accomodation (just a standard room) was very large, a pretty comfy large bed (not 2 beds pushed together like you normally find), flatscreen TV with a great movie channel. Good aircon in rooms
- Never a problem getting a sunbed.
- Loved the water Lilo's/sunbeds. Nice touch
- Nice pool area although gone off in-pool bars as can end up with a big congregation of people standing in the way of swimmers. For those that like a few bevvies in the day, this will not be a problem to you and you'll probably find it a positive, perhaps it was the location as there is a bit of a bottle neck in the pool near the bar. This is one of my harsher criticisms but a view nevertheless and you learn to live with it
- Excursion - Dolphin Swim Superb. Don't worry if you can't swim, you get a lifejacket. Don't be worried like I was as nothing to be afraid of and a great experience. Make sure you ask one of the photographers to take photos or else you might be disappointed afterwards to find the moment has been missed. Lucky for us, one of the people there took my own camera and he took loads of photos for us whilst we were in the water. Some really great ones too. I was so pleased
- Market was fantastic well worth a visit (or two)
- The Beach by the Market is amazing. If you like beaches go there
- Go to the On-site japanese restaurant. Food was nice and as they have show tables its also a great way to meet and talk to other holiday makers
- They can really make bread! Lovely bread!
- Not that we used it, but very nice touch to have 24 hour room service as part of all inclusive
- Music Bar was nice at night as only cool place to have a drink (unless you stay in A La Carte restaurant all night)

My View of Negatives
- Entertainment. To be fair, the Opera Singers, Violinists, Pianists are fantastic, but I thought their would be a bit more variation. But perhaps this is what the hotel is about. It would have been a nice change to have a few more light hearted things or perhaps something that would make you smile and not be so serious! There were some dance acts too, but most nights felt roughly the same. If you like Opera you're onto a winner. But this gave the feel to me that its more for the older generation. There is a Music Bar (which is great as its got aircon) which plays more pop music but its small and doesn't really start to get going until about 23:00. When it does get going its then difficult to talk as so loud and turns more clubby. For me there was no real happy compromise
- Lobby area very hot at night as its partly outside no noticeable aircon
- Drinks - Quite a few times I felt there was no alcohol in my cocktails. I thought perhaps it was just me then heard someone else bringing their drink back with the same view. I think this may be a function of perhaps who makes it, or perhaps just weaker alcohold than what I'm used to!! When they do get the Drinks right, they're great. Pina Coladas here are gorgeous
- Getting Orange juice was a problem for just over a week. We complained to Rep but for days after no change. They then started running out of other juice too, e.g. Pineapple. To solve the problem they started serving an Orange juice "with vitamins"!! LOL. By this, they meant it will suck your cheeks in! Not sure exactly what it was, Perhaps its a combination of Lemon/Grapefruit juce but its certainly not what I would call Orange Juice! But I guess they tried to do something even though it didn't solve the true problem. For a Hotel of this standard/cost it should have OJ by default. Numerous complaints were made but no quick solution. Also very bizarre to see it being sold in their on site shop yet not available in the restaurant.
- Bathroom in room not great. If you take showers no problem but bath was very small and if you sat in it, the cracking made you think the tiles were going to fall off the wall. Not a big deal as I just changed my habits and moved to taking showers
- The Hotel is very green. e.g. Trees, lovely landscaping, ponds, botanic gardens etc, which is glorious to look at but I should have put 2 and 2 together, that with this, comes wildlife. I knew about the Bird issue but this did not bother me at all. In fact, in the end I forgot about it but I did NOT like the CRABS. I don't mind seeing these in their natural habitat but finding them in the ladies loo and running around you feet in the Lobby area was not something I was comfortable with. So much so, we even thought about coming home after a week. I know that sounds silly but you can't easily change your fears. If you have a fear of things like CRABS you may feel very uncomfortable. I would say practically every night you'd see at least 2 or 3. Just not for me at all. The Hotel staff are clearly used to this and don't blink an eyelid so don't expect them to be moved for you!!
- Bar staff. From the word go the Lobby bar staff came across a bit miserable. This is strange and not like other places I'd been as usually the bar staff are the ones that make the most effort. It could not have been tip related as the very first drink we ordered just seemed to be handled rather abruptly (before we even got to tip stage) I don't think we did anything unusual that could have upset them but immediately felt I wasn't like for some reason. Maybe they were just too busy or perhaps I'm just too sensitive. Such a shame cos these guys are in a perfect spoft. If they made more of an effort they'd get better tips and probably enjoy the job more. It has potential to be a win win situation for both tourist and Bar Staff. (However, this does NOT apply to George at the Pool bar. He goes out of his way to make an effort, he has a laugh with you, remembers your drinks orders, is proactive - Perfect!)
- Food. Sorry to say, but they can't cook chips to save their lives! First place I've come across like this. You do find other things to eat but at the Snack Bar near the Pool practically everything comes with Chips and for us, alot of the times they were undercooked or burnt. A couple of occasions they were OK but this was rare. I was generally surprised at the food stanadrd at the Buffet Rest. I thought it would be much better. You find things to eat and you live with it but I can't say I loved any of the food at the Buffet. One of the Soups was always just about luke warm, not hot enought for my liking. I don't know if this is a Cuba thing or a Hotel thing but I've stayed at Riu's in the past in places like Morrocco and Fuertventura and their food is by far much better. It got me wondering what the food at the Riu in Cuba was like. The a La Carte restaurants much better. The International one was my favourite

As an aside, I just want to show my respect for the Gardeners at the Hotel. They work in serious heat, without some of the electronic tools we have at home and they keep the grounds looking lovely. Their role probably does not get as much notice as some of the more touristy roles so just want them to know they're doing a fantastic job.

In summary it was OK verging on Good, but for me, I've had better (much cheaper) holidays. Based on all these reviews I'm clearly in the minority so you will probably love it. (I wish you a happy holiday if your going there)

15 Thank LoopyLoo975
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much your feedback in regards to your experience during your stay at Paradisus Río de Oro Resort & Spa.

I also would like to apologize that we were not able to offer you a perfect stay and that we felt short of your expectations.

I will not going through all your comments, as all of your points are valid and something we will have to work to improve. Just a remark regarding the orange juice to let you know that it is true that there are certain periods of time of the year where it is not possible to find orange juice in the country, and that there is lack of consistency in the products we are able to offer to all of our guests. This is something the country is working on and I believe they will find a solution very soon.

Regarding the staff attitude, this is something that it really surprises me as if there is something that our guest has in common in all the comments we receive is the excellent attitude and kindness of our staff something I definitely believe. It is a pity you did not bring that to our attention while you were still at the resort as I am sure you would have been able to rectify any situation you could have find during your stay.

Once again, I really appreciate your constructive comments which I will highlight to our staff and heads of departments in order to rectify or improve our standards, and to reach for a perfect experience.

At Paradisus Río de Oro we all work with that goal in mind and we will not stop until we have achieved it.

Eduardo Perera Castro
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed September 26, 2012

Paradisus Rio de Oro is a beautiful hotel and one that left us refreshed, spoiled, and incredibly relaxed.
We loved everything about it and couldn't ask for more.
Mr. Castro, is an excellent manager, approachable, willing, hard-working and someone who will extend the warmest welcome and superb customer service to his guests. We would like to thank him and his wonderful staff for making our stay simply wonderful and bringing to us a little piece of heaven in Cuba.

3 Thank WukatWu
UK
Reviewed September 26, 2012

Fantastic beaches, food great and varied. All people in and outside of resort very welcoming. This very largely but not exclusively and adult only resort - very romantic. Not a huge amount to explore outside of the resort unless you want to take the flight to Havana - we heard that flights could be a little unreliable. We did a day trip on alocal steam train, cigar factory and lucnh - this was a good day out and you get to see some of the real Cuba.

Cuba has suffered under the USA embargo and is a reflection of the 1950's. although this is interesting in that it has produced a 'time capsule' - local conditions are not great - however the locals are always smiling, healthy (free health care), well educated - if you want to experience this then get out there before the embargo is lifted (rmoured to be soon?) as it will very rapidly become an extension of the USA, flooded with American visitors (Only canadians allowed in Cuba) - and its character will have changed.

The resort is first class and excellent value (All Inclusive) - no complicated exclusions on the menu! I would definately return.

Room Tip: suggest rooms away from main complex /entertainment areas
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank DaddySnow
ParadisusRioDeOro, General Manager at Paradisus Rio de Oro Resort & Spa, responded to this review, October 5, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for all your nice comments.

I am glad to read that you did enjoy your stay at our resort and that you found our hotel romantic and our staff and the Cuban people in general very welcoming, something with what I totally agree.

What I have to disagree with you is that there is not many things to do outside the hotel. I believe, that although this is not Cancún, there are quite a few activities that are very well worth a visit for those who are a little bit adventurous and what is important in a very safe environment. Just 10 minutes away from the hotel there is a marina where you can do excursions with the big Catamarans, sunset excursions, swimming with the dolphins which is a must, fisherman villages like Gibara, cigar factories in Holguin, Santiago de Cuba, second capital of Cuba, with its amazing history is just two and a half hours away from the hotel, Boca de Samá, and many other places, and as I said in one of the most secure and safe countries in the world and with the most hospitable people you can find anywhere. The hotels offers also excursions with our animation team and we offer on the All Inclusive packages scuba diving.

I would like to thank you also for defining our resort as first class and from an excellent value (All Inclusive).

I hope you will visit us again sometime soon and that I will have the opportunity to meet you personally to thank you in person for all this nice comments.

Eduardo Perera Castro
Also consider these accommodations in or near Holguin
Royalton Cayo Santa Maria
Melia Buenavista
Melia Buenavista
#2 of 15 in Cayo Santa Maria
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,526 reviews

Been to Paradisus Rio de Oro Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!